Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB Letter

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Anyone have any idea what the punishment would be for going over the 250gb "unlimited" cap on the advanced NGB package? :P Will they start charging extra? I haven't seen it in the terms and conditions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dcully wrote: »
    Hallrazer, where are you located?
    You mention UPC, can you get it in your area?
    I would swim the channel to be able to get UPC or similar.

Im in Maynooth Cully.Like yourself I really need rid of Eircom but Im not paying UPC an install charge of €300 just to get connected.Ive been pming the Rep here Jason and Im thinking of a self install/self cabling but I`d really need to have a look first since Ive almost rebuilt the house from scratch and dont want to go pulling the place apart again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Im in Maynooth Cully.Like yourself I really need rid of Eircom but Im not paying UPC an install charge of €300 just to get connected.Ive been pming the Rep here Jason and Im thinking of a self install/self cabling but I`d really need to have a look first since Ive almost rebuilt the house from scratch and dont want to go pulling the place apart again.

Im with ya mate, my fear is if i go with magnet swift and its lower contention and it doesnt improve congestion im stuck with a 12 month contract.
    Im then screwed if NGB comes to Monasterevin.
    I realize the download allowance is crap but i only download patches and mods, 95% of my usage wil be gaming, the no congestion of NGB is the attraction to me - until UPC arrive here, if they ever do.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Im with ya mate, my fear is if i go with magnet swift and its lower contention and it doesnt improve congestion im stuck with a 12 month contract.
    I realize the download allowance is crap but i only download patches and mods, 95% of my usage wil be gaming, the no congestion of NGB is the attraction to me - until UPC arrive here, if they ever do.

It really is your own decision here, but to be honest the difference between "NGB" (inverted commas inserted intentionally) and swift is very marginal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im only screwed SINCE NGB came to Maynooth.See my earlier post.Rock stable connection 2 weeks ago on 7mb.Upgrade to NGB and the connection goes to ****.

I wouldnt go depending on NGB to be honest.My case is still with the engineers and theres still no update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

What make me laugh about this and indeed some other BB providers, it that they waffle on about "..bringing you fibre powered broadband". Fibre power me sack!, they may well have a fibre connection to the exchange but it is still the same old copper pipe to me house.

I wish they would stop treating us with such comtempt and be honest about what they are supplying to people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It really is your own decision here, but to be honest the difference between "NGB" (inverted commas inserted intentionally) and swift is very marginal.

Well as time goes by im hearing more and more bad stories about NGB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Boggles wrote: »
    So they are increasing the speed to 8 meg uncongested but keeping the cap at a measly 30 gig.

Decreasing significantly the charge for breaking the cap to 2 euro per gig suggests to me strongly they will now inforce the cap and charge accordingly.

Alot of peoples bills are going rise, time to finally look for a new provider me thinks.

yeha thats what i thought when i read the letter, there gonna enforce it now. its an extra 10 quid for "unlimited" it says so thats another 20 quid a bill now then?

probably best to "upgrade" to that then dont want to get screwed on going over the limit, and ffs a 30gig cap? thats a very poor deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

norbert64 wrote: »
    This has to be a mistake surely? :p

Eircom NGB Advanced 8 MB @ €40 = Unlimited Download Allowance
    http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bbpackages/ngb/22/?view=Standard

Eircom NGB 24 MB @ €48 = 75 GB Cap
    http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bbpackages/5/?view=Standard

Nope just checked my bill on Friday and i've gone from a 50g cap to "unlimited" and that's currently reflected in my usage stats.

Panic averted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Samba wrote: »
    Nope just checked my bill on Friday and i've gone from a 50g cap to "unlimited" and that's currently reflected in my usage stats.

Panic averted.

Don't assume this is an unlimited product it's not. The limits have already been outlined earlier in the thread. So be careful in your usage and watch what you upload/download and in your browsing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

bealtine wrote: »
    Don't assume this is an unlimited product it's not. The limits have already been outlined earlier in the thread. So be careful in your usage and watch what you upload/download and in your browsing.

Yeah I know but 250GB might aswell be unlimited, i'm the only one doing any serious downloading on the line and i've never done more than 90GB in a month.

Update--Still no help from Tech support.The case is with them since the 21st September and I was told that it would be repaired within 2 days.
    Connection is still useless--less than 1mb last night and totally unplayable pings.

Yet at 1.00am Im getting 5.9mb--I still feel that its contention on a supposed line that has no contention.

So thats it Im finished with Eircom.Have my UPC BB install date of this Saturday.Went for the 15mb bundle with phone and TV.

Hope its as good as peeps make out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sam.0

all of the NGB unlimited allowances are really not unlimited, but are all capped, eircom just say this so more consumers will join up with them, but if you read the nifty gritty details at the bottom of you package, you will all see that you package are really capped at 250GB per mount, and as for the speed, I haven’t seen or heard of a phone line ever taking 24MB downstream, so why would you pay for a service that you are really not getting in the first place,

Advertisement