Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fool

Options
  • 10-06-2010 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

How likely is it for the Fool's character to appear on Paper 2 today?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

didn't your teacher tell you? the fool is deffo up.... the exam commission told all teachers...lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,797 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

33% chance, alongside our growing respect for Lear, and also Sibling Rivalry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

callaway92 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

callaway92 wrote: »

So 1/3 chance for Sibling rivalry... I don't like those odds:/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

there's nothing you can do to guess lear... just look at the question and write the whole summary of the story out and just keep talking about the question...

sibling rivalry - just tell the whole story but emphasise the sibling rivalry

etc etc etc - it's not too bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I better start studying then well so.
    Anyway, some tips for the fool i suppose:

The fool never appears on stage with Cordelia, so there's a hint there that the two characters may be the same actor in the play.

The fool appears only after Lear has banished Cordelia, so it could be argued that the fool becomes Lear's conscience thereafter.

The fool is one of the smartest characters in the play, and certainly the smartest of all the good characters, because he foresee's a lot more than even Kent does.

The fool is merely an object in the grand scheme of things. When the play starts coming to an end in Act V, the Fool more or less disappears, without question or thought.

Also, it can be argued that Shakespeare was approaching the taboo subject of poverty, foolishness, and showing that the characters who we think least of often have the most valuable qualities and talents.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Has everyone forgotten there's 2 questions on lear, not one :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

When the Fool disappears he says 'I'll go to be at noon'. This is like a statement of despair and depression because he is seen Lear decline. Its also suggest that the Fool died of a broken heart, because his spirit is shattered by Lears tragic descent into madness. In a sense, Edgar, disguised as 'poor Tom' takes over the Fool's role. Like the Fool, poor Tom speaks a great deal of nonsense mixed with wit and wisdom. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ithoughtitwasap

Anyone else think that the fool is awful like the photographer character in Apocalypse Now?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

I go to the Institute...well I did...and we were given about 8 or 9 essays throughout the year, and our last one was one on the fool...our teacher said that the only reason he was giving it out was because another teacher in the school tried to freak out his students by saying that the fool was a definite...so they all went looking for sample answers!

Anywho...the fool won't be on the paper, we were told, the leaving cert don't ask difficult questions, and because of lack of quotes and what-not, the fool would be a difficult question...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

If the fool comes up I can quarantee you the other question will be easy:D

Advertisement