Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance

Options
  • 10-06-2010 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi, I recently found a nice place after a while of looking. To make it even better the landlord said he'd accept rent allowance(will be necessary as I'll be a mature student come September), only problem is that he lives in England. He really doesn't know the procedures involved and either do I!

So basically I'm asking what he has to do to enable me to get rent allowance?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Hen you try to get rent allowance you get forms for the landlord to sign. I would imagine in your case you will to post these forms to the landlord r
    for him to sign unless he has an agent here

I'm sorry if I'm giving incorrect info here, and I'm sure someone will know better, but I'm not sure you can actually claim rent allowance while at college. I know a friend of mine had to turn down a college place a few years ago because she was told if she took it, she wouldn't be entitled to rent allowance.

Again, sorry if that's wrong, it may have changed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you are eligible for BTEA then you are eligible for Rent Allowance.

If you are eligible for BTEA then you are eligible for Rent Allowance.

If you have to go to another county to go to college and you havent been paying rent for 6 months can you get rent allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

You need to go to your local social welfare office and apply. Their are rules and criteria to be met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Bob Z wrote: »
    If you have to go to another county to go to college and you havent been paying rent for 6 months can you get rent allowance?

If you are on BTEA, on the housing list or harbitually renting, possibly.

If you go back to college after living with family previously and not renting, probably not. However, if you are more than 15 miles I think from family home and there is no 3rd level college near you the higher level of grant is supposed to cover rent. In reality it probably falls short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I think people are misunderstanding me here, I know what I've to do to get rent allowance.

The Landlord doesn't know what criteria he has to fulfill as he's never even heard of rent allowance.

Does he just have to be registered with the PRTB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I'm sorry if I'm giving incorrect info here, and I'm sure someone will know better, but I'm not sure you can actually claim rent allowance while at college. I know a friend of mine had to turn down a college place a few years ago because she was told if she took it, she wouldn't be entitled to rent allowance.

Again, sorry if that's wrong, it may have changed :)

Was your friend on social too or? Probably not the wisest of decisions as lots of help out there for people on low income, you know?

HoPpiE wrote: »
    I think people are misunderstanding me here, I know what I've to do to get rent allowance.

The Landlord doesn't know what criteria he has to fulfill as he's never even heard of rent allowance.

no the prtb has nothing to with rent allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

HoPpiE wrote: »

It is simple.
    Really is it!

He has to sign the forms they gave you is all. Period. Does not matter where HE lives; is where YOU live etc.

Send him the form is all.

He does not "need" to be registered with the PTRB to fill that form in. Our landlord here isn't. And he filled the form in etc when we needed RA.

That is a totally separate system.

he "should" be registered in law; but that is HIS problem and nothing o do with RA.

Does that help? Hope so:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Yes, thank you. This clears everything up for me.

Was your friend on social too or? Probably not the wisest of decisions as lots of help out there for people on low income, you know?

Actually you know I think she was in receipt of lone parents too. It's a while back now so can't remember exactly.

Sorry for giving bad advice :o

Advertisement