Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A disiaster with Shimano A520 Pedals

• 10-06-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

As i was cycling along the military road in the Pheonix Park today, i had a monumental disaster.
    My Shimano A520 right pedal broke off leaving me lying on the top tube whilest wizing from left to right on the road.
    After i eventually stopped the bike which felt like a decade, i walked back to pick up my pedal which was lying in the middle of the road. I thought i could just screw it back in and be on my way, but i relised it had torn off half the treads in crank :eek: But worse is yet to come as it was the crank on right hand side with the triplet frown.gif
    After along walk home i was dumb founded about how it happened, i'm just wondering what can i do, i have the bike insured. Should i replace the crank or is there something else i can do :confused:
    please help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Are the crank threads stripped and stuck to the broken-off pedal, or the broken pedal threads stuck in the crank? If the former then your only option is a new crank, otherwise you might be able to drill out the pedal threads from the crank. I think the A520 has a hex socket too for an allen key.

Sounds unusual. You should remove the unbroken pedal also to check for any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BrianPatten

The treads are lost somewhere along the road. But the annoying part is that the other pedal won't come off, i've used alan keys and even a wrench to try and get them off, but i think the bike is still under guarantee, which may be a relief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

did the bike come with the pedals ? sounds like they were overtightened and broke the threads (dont even know if that is possible but it is steel against aluminium) if the shop put the pedals on go back there

No i put the pedal on, but like you said i don't even know if it is possible. so is my only option to replace the chainset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But the annoying part is that the other pedal won't come off, i've used alan keys and even a wrench to try and get them off
    Remember that the threads are reversed on the left crank. So clockwise remove the pedal, anticlockwise screws it in.
    No i put the pedal on, but like you said i don't even know if it is possible. so is my only option to replace the chainset?
    It's the only economical option really. It is possible to get the threads re-tapped but afaik this can be expensive and not overly reliable. Cranksets aren't *that* expensive to replace unless you've a high-end machine. I upgraded my MTB to a Hollowtech II crankset & BB last year for €40. What bike are you riding?

It does sound odd. If the bike is new enough then you might be able to get a replacement chainset from the manufacturer, but they might not touch it because you changed the pedals yourself - it's easy enough to cross-thread a pedal and not be aware of it until it pops out of the crankset a few weeks later.

• Advertisement

I'm riding a Beone Briza, i got it about 2 weeks ago it could still be under guarantee from crc, so i guess i'll change the chainset when i get a chance
    thank guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Could have happened if you somehow put the wrong pedals on the wrong sides and just tightened them in with a big spanner or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Someone has an Ultegra double or a Tiagra triple for sale, it's 9 speed, but they work perfect with 10 speed as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

After along walk home
    Could you not pedal home with your left leg?
    Simona1986 wrote: »
    Could have happened if you somehow put the wrong pedals on the wrong sides and just tightened them in with a big spanner or something?
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Did you put a liberal application of grease on the pedal threads before you attached the pedals? This prevents the two different metals of the pedal and the crank from reacting with one another and causing the failure that you have experienced.

No constructive advice to offer though, sorry...

Also, is a disiaster [sic] the kind that makes one's head spin? If it is, I like the new word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Moflojo wrote: »
    Did you put a liberal application of grease on the pedal threads before you attached the pedals? This prevents the two different metals of the pedal and the crank from reacting with one another and causing the failure that you have experienced.
    No constructive advice to offer though, sorry...

Also, is a disiaster [sic] the kind that makes one's head spin? If it is, I like the new word.

?

If they corroded into each other the OP wouldnt have this problem, hed have the opposite.

OP , there is no way a guarantee will cover this, it sounds like the pedals were installed incorectley.

Advertisement