Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling Hay off the field or off the ground?

• 10-06-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I've about 12 acres closed and fertilized. There should be a decent crop in 3-4 weeks but as I'm a part time farmer, I doubt I will have the time to save it myself (unless we get alot of unbroken sunshine:))

I've never sold hay on the ground or uncut. What is the going rate for

Per round bale ( buyer cuts/turns, bales and takes away)
    Per square bale ( buyer cuts/turns, bales and takes away)

Per Round bale off the field

Will probably advertise this next week so any pointers are welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have bought silage for the last 3 years for €8 per bale. The meadows didn't get fertilizer, but did receive a good coat of slurry from the owner each year and had reasonably good grass in mid July. I had to mow, bale, wrap and stack myself. I don't think it was too bad of a deal, but it wouldn't be cost effective if I had to pay any more per bale or if i had to pay a contractor to do the work for me.

I've about 12 acres closed and fertilized. There should be a decent crop in 3-4 weeks but as I'm a part time farmer, I doubt I will have the time to save it myself (unless we get alot of unbroken sunshine:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hello,

I sold grass like this before - I actually asked the same in a thread here last year.

Sold it as square bales year before last, and round bales o silage last year. The buyer did all the work - mowing, turning, baling.

Square bale = 0.55euro / bale
    Round bale = 5euro / bale

The grass would be old enough pasture, but there was a v heavy cut last year. It was planned to be hay, so left late but then the weather didnt allow, so was prob past its best, but there was a fierce cut. Didn't get slurry or fertiliser.

For the square bales, there was around 160 bales/acre.
    For the round bales, there was nearly 20 bales/acre. 20 bales was a lot, so the price / bale was a bit lower (And it wasn't wilted at all)... Not 100% on these figures, as not sure o the exact acreage, just a guesstimate... to give you an idea o price / acre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

ive 23 acres of well fertlised new grass with little or no weeds or docks in it its very good leafy grass that will make lovely silage, its in 2 big fields not small pokey so no bother with big machinery, i have several lads looking for it as theres very little left from last winter so my question is has any one bought or sold simular before as regards price timing of cut and of the second cut thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Red Sheds

I got €10 per bale for silage last year, the buyer did all, mow, bale and wrap, have the same deal done this year for 23 acres, and I did not have to fertilise either as it wont be cut till July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Red Sheds wrote: »
    I got €10 per bale for silage last year, the buyer did all, mow, bale and wrap, have the same deal done this year for 23 acres, and I did not have to fertilise either as it wont be cut till July.

Too many years of taking a good crop of silage off a field without fertilizing, will probably leave you with a field with low nutrient levels and plenty of weeds. Even if it gets slurry, for silage it will need P&K top up if you are taking silage off it, I would imagine.

T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Red Sheds

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Too many years of taking a good crop of silage off a field without fertilizing, will probably leave you with a field with low nutrient levels and plenty of weeds. Even if it gets slurry, for silage it will need P&K top up if you are taking silage off it, I would imagine.

T

Thats true, it could really do with some fertiliser this year, it will have to get better care next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭fastrac

Dont forget lime at the back end this year if you want to get the best value from next years P & K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Is this the normal way of buying a hay field off someone xx cent/ bale or charge by acre? Looking into buying 4/5 acres for hay so advice appreciated.

Advertisement