Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Cramming!!!

• 10-06-2010 12:11pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭

Anyone else really worried for geography. I've never been in this much worry with an exam. I know my elective questions and most physical. I have to learn geoecology and regional tonight though :O Really worried.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm a tad nervous, it all depends on the paper. I know tons of Geography but if I can't answer the geo ecology question then that's 80 marks gone :eek: Also the timing is awful, really wish we had more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

Having Maths straight after it is really annoying...

I don't know how I'll have the time to study both tonight after coming home wrecked from Eng II :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I should be but I'm not. If you're aiming for a B or an A, then yes you would need a lot of info. However, if you're just aiming for a C or a low B, then if you look at the papers, there's a lot of predictable questions. Unless you're really unlucky, by learning 10 essays, you should be able to get at least a C (I got a C2 by learning 6 essays I predicted and getting 50% at short questions).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I used be really good at geography but there's so much of it I'm kinda lost. Know my Physical, most of Regional and a bitta Geoecology. Gotta cram my elective tonight. I literally have no idea how to answer the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Haven't ever worried about geography but now seeing all of ye worrying im kinda starting to worry too:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

having done the LC Higher level geogphry paper last year I can safely say that it was the easiest exam in the LC and most of it is common sense.

Do not be nervous !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

robbie_998 wrote: »
    having done the LC Higher level geogphry paper last year I can safely say that it was the easiest exam in the LC and most of it is common sense.

Do not be nervous !

I heard its hard to do well. But easy to pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I heard its hard to do well. But easy to pass

Section 1 will be a doddle for anybody. (short questions - very straight forward)

section 2 Long questions just require a bit of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Yeah I find geography pretty easy with no study. Got 70 in the mocks - no study.

Just wondering what the elective is? I probably know it but our teacher has a strange way of teaching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,797 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I am absolutely screwed for the Biome question...oh lord im screwed

• Advertisement

shblob wrote: »
    Yeah I find geography pretty easy with no study. Got 70 in the mocks - no study.

Just wondering what the elective is? I probably know it but our teacher has a strange way of teaching!

its the extra question at the end of the exam paper and is exclusive to higher level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

shblob wrote: »

Mine was Patterns and Processes of Economic Geography or something. All about Colonialism, MNCs, globalisation etc.

The other one is patterns and process of human something.. I'm not too sure really.

Kersmash wrote: »
    Mine was Patterns and Processes of Economic Geography or something. All about Colonialism, MNCs, globalisation etc.

The other one is patterns and process of human something.. I'm not too sure really.

BIOME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

callaway92 wrote: »
    its the extra question at the end of the exam paper and is exclusive to higher level

No, you're thinking of the "Option" question.

The Elective question is either Human Geography (basically, studying population models and such) or Economic Geography (globalisation, MNC's etc.). Both are on the paper, you study and answer one. They come up at both HL and OL.

The Option question is the one exclusive to HL. This is where you write an essay on either Geoecology, Global Interdependence, Atmosphere/Ocean Enviornment or Culture and Identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

After everybody expecting boland for english I can't help but wonder, if the expected Main char's of a biome Q wont come up now ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

As if I didn't have enough to study! :mad:
    Now I have to study Higher geography AND higher maths tonight:(

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I have to learn the entire course tonight. Hoorah.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 iWeeze

fufureida wrote: »
    I have to learn the entire course tonight. Hoorah.
    This. I'm fairly ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Anyone reckon isostacy could come up?

yes - it came up on my mocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 shocxxxxxx

I'm actually sh*ttin a pair of bricks for geography.......BUT..and its a big but...the 2 papers i thought i knew nothin for were english paper 2 and geography nd english didnt actually seem too bad today so im just gona remain hopeful about geog too...:) xXx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

After everybody expecting boland for english I can't help but wonder, if the expected Main char's of a biome Q wont come up now ;/

This is what I've been worried about too. I've been worried the past two days that only soil questions will come up.... and I've tried and failed multiple times to learn anything about soils!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xemmsx

omg i think i would die a thousand deaths right there in the middle of the exam hall if a biome Q didnt come up.... they could never be that cruel could they? I mean that 1/5th of the exam gone!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Come on this stuff here!!:

Physical:
    Landform dvlp
    Earthquakes and tectonics
    Sedimentary and resulting landscape
    Igneous formation
    Humans and natural processes
    Humans and rock cycle

Regional
    Culture India
    Culture Belgium
    Italy - Farming, tourism
    India - primary, secondary, expansion
    Dublin - expansion, tertiary
    Paris - Tourism, primary
    Ireland and EU

Human
    2 land use models
    Population growth developed
    Population growth developing
    Urban problems
    Historic settlement
    Ireland and EU
    Settlement patterns
    Migration
    Overpopulation

Geoecology
    Characteristics of soil
    Biome human
    Biome characteristics

29 things.
    This has to be ok?
    I knew all this at one time, now to get it back! Better get to it.

Yes, but you can waffle about certain topics further on in the geoecology section.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hdaniel

can anyone recomend some topics that will be must studys?
    before biomes of course

@ victoria, more than I've "prepared" in the last 2 months. I have forgotten about 20 of those essays by now.

If biomes doesn't come up, I'll look at all the other options and hope I can waffle at least half a page for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 starryeyes122

H2student wrote: »
    I should be but I'm not. If you're aiming for a B or an A, then yes you would need a lot of info. However, if you're just aiming for a C or a low B, then if you look at the papers, there's a lot of predictable questions. Unless you're really unlucky, by learning 10 essays, you should be able to get at least a C (I got a C2 by learning 6 essays I predicted and getting 50% at short questions).

never really worried bout geog as i always passed it.. but now im kinda worried...

Here's what I think:

If you want to have a good cram tonight, and you feel you might fail. Then do the following (if you haven't already):

Physical: - Human influence on natural processes (river, coastal etc.) and influence on rock cycle (quarrying etc.)
    - development of one landform (mine is waterfall)

Regional:
    - secondary on sub-continental (brazil for me)

<-- not very confident about regional, better off studying the other sections imo

Elective: (human)
    I believe first quesiton part C is always something to do with the OS map or aerial photo, and you can get half marks with common sense basicaly

Option:
    - Biomes ? if not then, like the friend of that guy on the other thread. "See you same place, same time next year".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 shocxxxxxx

Hi! Im kinda worried now...i though human impacts or characteristics was garenteed every year but it didnt come up in 2007? i dont know anything else so should i be worried about 2moro?

Advertisement