Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Dual-SIM phones announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Given that the press release indicates that the unveiling was done in Kenya I doubt these will be officially heading to the Irish Market. As stated carriers won't pick them up and chances are nokia won't introduce them into markets where it might effect their relationship with carriers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

shame they're such low spec too but nice to see nokia getting on board with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

You'd never know, they could do a deal between ireland and england for business travellers who would like an irish simcard and an english sim card in the one phone... instead of getting raped by the roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dual sim phones would be a killer for the business market where people could use them for work and personal sims. A lot of us have to carry two phones around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paul.irl

I for one will be replacing my Samsung C5212 with a C2. Just because they are unlikely to be availabe in Ireland offically, doesn't mean you can't get your hands on one. ;)

As for low-spec, there are enough people out there (like myself) who are happy with low-end phones. Apart from calling/texting, I don't do very much with the phone. Although I do like that the C2 comes with a music player :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I wonder what the price will be? I do like the look of the C2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nadeem1414

yes the nokia c2-00 is a very cheap and extra quality mobile phone so i like this mobile brand.
    you may get the information and tell me its features?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Nokia C2 \ Nokia C2-00 is finally making it to market, sometime late May, early June, 2011.

Device may be crippled though, hard to tell, it seems the phone is dual stand-by, but not dual active.. maybe I'm just getting mixed up in the wording..

Forum posts seem to indicate only one SIM can be active at any one time, beggars belief, since it is no different to the previous dual SIM Nokia released, the Nokia C1 \ Nokia C1-00.

In any case, here's the user manual:

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/apac/phones/guides/Nokia_C2-00_UG_en.pdf

(Acrobat .pdf link)

EDIT: Developing markets only, it seems, Africa and the Far East.

Comment thread over at GSM Arena is focused on the status of the two SIMs during phone use.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_c2_00-3367.php

I waited for this phone for a good while, a straightforward souped up basic phone, very very similar to a Nokia 6230/6230i, but with Dual SIMs, almost perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

The C2-00 and X1-01 are dual-SIM, with dual standby (i.e, the "inactive" SIM can still receive calls while you're using the "active" one)

Article

These don't seem to be launced in Western Europe, though. However, these are SIM-free, so you'll be able to use one here that you buy from abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

This post has been deleted.
    As stated carriers won't pick them up and chances are nokia won't introduce them into markets where it might effect their relationship with carriers
    DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    You'd never know, they could do a deal between ireland and england for business travellers who would like an irish simcard and an english sim card in the one phone... instead of getting raped by the roaming charges.

Don't worry you'll be able to buy one alright if you want one. Maybe not in a VF/Meteor/Ohtue shop but you'll be able to order them online fairly easy.

Even seen one for sale in an independent phone shop I do believe but it might have been the low end one with only one active sim at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭zu

re; Nokia C2-00
    Strange that over a year after announcing, and over a month after a launch in Asia, none appearing on ebay yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Samsung have been making dual sim phones' for ages and there not expensive and a lot more reliable than the nokia's of late.

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/mobile-phone/mobile-phone/dual-sim-phone/index.idx?pagetype=subtype_p2

I can see Nokia being close to wiped out in the next 2 years, they really are way behind on everything and there quality standards are up there with Abrakebabra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Samsung have been making dual sim phones' for ages and there not expensive and a lot more reliable than the nokia's of late.

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/mobile-phone/mobile-phone/dual-sim-phone/index.idx?pagetype=subtype_p2

I can see Nokia being close to wiped out in the next 2 years, they really are way behind on everything and there quality standards are up there with Abrakebabra.

I ordered a Ch@t 322 from expansys. Will post up a review soon after it arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Serious lolz for a statement like that!

You'd wanna do a lot of serious explaining to sow how Nokia will be wiped out in 2 years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

kmart6 wrote: »
    Serious lolz for a statement like that!

You'd wanna do a lot of serious explaining to sow how Nokia will be wiped out in 2 years!!

They've an exclusive deal with Microsoft to concentrate on making Windows phones and nobody wants one?

And they're selling off their subsidiaries to just keep going?

aphex™ wrote: »
    They've an exclusive deal with Microsoft to concentrate on making Windows phones and nobody wants one?

And they're selling off their subsidiaries to just keep going?
    Haha...nobody?! Explain that one?!

And your second point id not true...yes they've suffered loses in recent years but they are still making money!!

Yep, Nokia's profits have taking a hammering, but they haven't lost money yet. I used to work for a company that lost a billion dollars in a year, nearly closed, and was on permanent death-watch for two more years after that. You might have heard of them, they're called Apple.

As for the MS deal, maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but Windows Phone is their "primary" smartphone OS, not their "sole" OS. The devil is in the details on things like this. There will be Symbian phones until at least 2013, and the Qt application framework (behind all the eye-candy on the new N9) is going to be pre-installed onto the kind of phones that currently run Series 40... this last point is going to be more important than Windows Phone in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

kmart6 wrote: »
    Haha...nobody?! Explain that one?!

Nielsen ratings showing 1% of new phones sold are Windows Phone 7

18-nokiashare.png

Well there's a much higher market share! And the general consensus in the mobile industry that the partnership is going to increase the WP market share!

• Advertisement

I think it's "Nobody wants a phone from Samsung or HTC's B-team", rather than "Nobody wants a phone running Windows Phone 7".

The two major Windows Phone licensees are putting their best work into making Android devices, because that's the lowest risk strategy, and any WP7 success they would have would just cannibalise their own sales, so why bother? When Nokia starts producing desirable hardware that runs this OS, sales will pick up.

Well I already know I wanna get the 'Sea Ray' when it comes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Are dual sim phones available from any Irish retailer?

I would be interested in a basic nokia dual sim phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Cork wrote: »

The fella in that little booth by Tesco in Paul Street has a few. A nokia as well but I believe it isn't "active" dual sim so you have to press a button to switch between the two

He has other dual sim phones too

Otherwise http://www.expansys.ie

Cork wrote: »

Cork, if you can tolerate other brands, think about the Dual SIM version of the Samsung Ch@t, the Samsung Ch@t 322. A couple of the hawkers and traders in Moore Street (Dublin) sell it. Unlike the basic Nokia C1-00, it is dual SIM active and priced pretty competitively. One thing I can't stand about it, is the 'optical' trackpad for the screen pointer, no tactile feedback whatsoever. No Wifi either.

Unboxing video.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Cork, if you can tolerate other brands, think about the Dual SIM version of the Samsung Ch@t, the Samsung Ch@t 322. A couple of the hawkers and traders in Moore Street (Dublin) sell it. Unlike the basic Nokia C1-00, it is dual SIM active and priced pretty competitively. One thing I can't stand about it, is the 'optical' trackpad for the screen pointer, no tactile feedback whatsoever. No Wifi either.

Unboxing video.

I ordered one of those but its taking ages to arrive. Good to know it was active, some feckers on the gsmarena site were saying it was passive

Needler wrote: »
    I ordered one of those but its taking ages to arrive. Good to know it was active, some feckers on the gsmarena site were saying it was passive

To clear things up, the phone is dual standby, basically, both sims are active at the same time, listening for incoming calls. But only one sim can be active during the call, not both at the same time, if that makes sense. If someone tries to phone the other number, it will quite probably go to voicemail.

2G only.

---

I waited and waited for the Nokia C2-00 to arrive, I was hoping the C2-00 would pop up in India or Pakistan, where the listed price is low. But it seems to be as much a mirage over there, as it is elsewhere.

Gone past the moment where I'll tolerate using an S40 system phone though, once you've done the Android or iOS change over, very hard to go back to basics.. Dual SIM or not.

Amalgam wrote: »

I waited and waited for the Nokia C2-00 to arrive, I was hoping the C2-00 would pop up in India or Pakistan, where the listed price is low. But it seems to be as much a mirage over there, as it is elsewhere.

Gone past the moment where I'll tolerate using an S40 system phone though, once you've done the Android or iOS change over, very hard to go back to basics.. Dual SIM or not.

Apparently android doesn't support dual sim at all. As long as I can install a few things like a java Jabber client and SSH client on it I'm sorted.

Shame they didn't make the ch@t 3G though, should be some interesting combinations using a '3' SIM and one of the other networks. right now I'm thinking meteor for most things and an o2 SIM for international texts. Or 15e per month bill pay lite and use o2 sim for anything not included like international text and calls

• Advertisement

Irish retailers have been fishing for pre-orders at €125 and above.

If you want to risk it, some Indian eBay sellers with a few sales of the phone under their belt are selling it for about €45. I'm mulling it over.. but then there's customs, the handling charge.. the risk of it getting here at all..

The Nokia C2-00 really was a slow cooked phone. Announced well over a year ago. Recent YouTube activity (in the last month) of actual phone handling, instead of CGI etc.

Amusing ad with a lot of oomph to the music. :D

Pakistan launch.

Advertisement