Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO Junk Mail Sign

Options
  • 10-06-2010 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

does anyone have any idea where i would pick up a no junk mail sign for the letterbox, im sick of the amount of junk that comes in and it seems to be increasing.
    im thinking mc quillans on capel street but if anyone could direct me to a place that definitely sells them i would be grateful

thanks

Comments

Make one yourself and print it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

I saw them for sale in spar, sallynoggin they might have them in the other spars in the city centre if not any DIY store should have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Most DIY shops have them. Decwell's on George's St definitely do. I also believe keycutting/shoe repair places sell them, the one in Stephen's Green shopping centre (1st floor) does I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

My local spar in d24 sells them, this type. Not sure if all spars have them, they're sitting in a box on the counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

If you go to mary street that leads to capel st, there is a shop that sells cheapo stuff, they have them. More or less opposite the mary st mall. HTH :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

If you go to mary street that leads to capel st, there is a shop that sells cheapo stuff, they have them. More or less opposite the mary st mall. HTH :)

the shop on the left (coming from henry street) that sells everything, ill try there, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

bugler wrote: »
    Most DIY shops have them. Decwell's on George's St definitely do. I also believe keycutting/shoe repair places sell them, the one in Stephen's Green shopping centre (1st floor) does I think.

I tried in there a couple of weeks ago and they were all out. So I tried the little hardware shop up the road from it, on Wexford Street, and I got one there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

does anyone have any idea where i would pick up a no junk mail sign for the letterbox, im sick of the amount of junk that comes in and it seems to be increasing.
    im thinking mc quillans on capel street but if anyone could direct me to a place that definitely sells them i would be grateful

thanks

Write one and draw a pic of you doing a Cleaveland on them. They'll get the message ;)

WindSock wrote: »
    Write one and draw a pic of you doing a Cleaveland on them. They'll get the message ;)

or i could draw a cleaveland steamer;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Don't waste your time, it'll be ignored.

I was being pestered by our East European friends paying me visits, sometimes starting around 03:30am and putting 'charity' appeals for old clothes through my letterbox.

My dogs would go spaso, waking everyone up.

Then the runner's on my sliding porch door broke and had to be replaced (three times @ a cost of slightly over €100 each time). This happened because the fvckers would jam so many through the box each time, totally ignoring my noticed for 'No Junk Mail'.

I bought an outside box and screwed it to my wall, again with a sticker asking for 'No Junk Mail' - to no avail.

Btw, I had to permanently seal my porch door letter opening.

Finally I started to set my dogs on the bastards & the problem has all but stopped now.

• Advertisement

I was being pestered by our East European friends paying me visits, sometimes starting around 03:30am and putting 'charity' appeals for old clothes through my letterbox.

My dogs would go spaso, waking everyone up.

Then the runner's on my sliding porch door broke and had to be replaced (three times @ a cost of slightly over €100 each time). This happened because the fvckers would jam so many through the box each time, totally ignoring my noticed for 'No Junk Mail'.

I bought an outside box and screwed it to my wall, again with a sticker asking for 'No Junk Mail' - to no avail.

Btw, I had to permanently seal my porch door letter opening.

Finally I started to set my dogs on the bastards & the problem has all but stopped now.

i need to get a dog.

since i posted this thread 2 seperate leaflet drops have happened and my hall looks like the floor of a sorting office

i need to get a dog.

since i posted this thread 2 seperate leaflet drops have happened and my hall looks like the floor of a sorting office

Wanna loan of a pitbull and Staff.. We could transform that sorting office look to that of a slaughter house in about 0.5sec's :D

Here's Richo's Colgate smile - its for hire :p

richo11may2010c.jpg

he ozzes style

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

There's a shop in Harolds' Cross, near the Crossbar pub and directly opposite the Centra that sells them for defo ! They even have a sign board outside the shop saying they sell them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Regarding the signs effectiveness.
    I printed a sign up for the last local elections. Basically it asked them all to lay off, the last line just said no literature. We noticed a dramatic fall off in the junk mail we were getting even though this note wasn't aimed at it. Unfortunately we still got the clothing request stickers.
    When the elections were over we just cut the last line off the note and taped it up - works well, you'd be surprised the amount of people who respect your request. I'd guess we get only about 5% of what we used to get. So I'd say go ahead and put up the sign - even though thats not what you asked!

There's a shop in Harolds' Cross, near the Crossbar pub and directly opposite the Centra that sells them for defo ! They even have a sign board outside the shop saying they sell them there.

really?

ive worked in the crossbar for nearly 5 years now and never knew the sign shop did them, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

We used to get half a dozen pieces of junk mail daily until we stuck a sign on the letter box (just printed one off ourselves and taped it on). Since then we get maybe a couple per week, if that. So it's definitely worth a try.

DecentBee wrote: »
    We used to get half a dozen pieces of junk mail daily until we stuck a sign on the letter box (just printed one off ourselves and taped it on). Since then we get maybe a couple per week, if that. So it's definitely worth a try.

I'll have to check the spelling on mine so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's definitely helped us. By and large the only stuff we get through now is the charity scammers, the big handfuls of stuff doesn't come through any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

You can buy them here: http://www.treehugger.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I love getting junk mail :o. They used to mostly ignore my Ma's gaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

There's a form you can download and send off to the Irish Direct Marketing Association (IDMA) who apparently maintain the "Junkmail Database"

So if you're opted out and for example get Junk Mail from Dunnes Stores or Lidl, it makes it easier to kick up a stink :)

Dunno how effective it is, but you can download the form here, (Also some more details there as well,) and it's a freepost address, so costs nothing and only takes a few mins.

Hope it helps, I've sent mine off last week, and will let ye know how effective it is, (Or isn't)

got one of the stickers in the shop on mary street, €2 bleedin 50 each. when i got home there was a chinese takeaway leaflet in the door:mad:
    stuck the sticker on so i hope its effective

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A-Trak wrote: »
    Hope it helps, I've sent mine off last week, and will let ye know how effective it is, (Or isn't)
    Unfortunately this only applies to direct marketing - stuff addressed to you and delivered by an post. Indirect mail (i.e. unaddressed stuff) isn't covered by the above. If you get a lot of direct-mailed spam though it's definitely worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

There is a great little shop on Capel St on the righthandside as you are walking up from Capel St Bridge. Not far from Slattery's Pub.
    I can't think of the name but they have all sorts of small signs and will also make them up for you.
    I bought my No Junk Mail sign in here.

I've found the mail has reduced but it's still coming in. I live in an apartment block so loads of crap comes from the local takaways. I now collect the leaflets (unaddressed ones), snip them in half and re-deliver them back to the takeways. It makes me feel good :-)

great start so far, nothing in the letter box or the porch:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Thiunk of the awesome things you could be missing out on. A new chinese or pizza menu. Later on your mates will be talking about how good the new chinese or pizza place is and you will be thinking to yourself ''Hmmm, why havnt I heard of this place?'' Eventually they wont be your friends because you will have absolutley nothing in common.

Its never to late to take the sign down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

We've had a sign now for a couple of years,still get the odd menu,don't mind them tbh,the cloths stuff though bother me. Some of the lazy sh ts have even stuck them on my gate,not even bother to walk the extra 20 feet to my letter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone remember the guy in the US (about 20+ years ago) who got himself on every catalog and junk mailing list he could (multiple times). He used it to fuel his furnace, and got so much that didn't have to buy any fuel. The various companies hated him!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I was surprised to find they do actually work, I assumed they'd be ignored completely. I think the neighbours are away as there were a whole bunch of advertiser newpapers and leaflets sticking out of their letter box, none of which I received. (and yeah I removed them from their letter box)

If I got one more bloody Pizza Max menu I was gonna lose it! Side note: don't eat from pizza max.

Advertisement