Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO Junk Mail Sign

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

www.getgreen.ie

We have one of these lying in the kitchen, think my mam has decided it's not getting stuck on her front door :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

got a clothes collection leaflet this morning but that has been the first since the sticker went up so im delighted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

got a clothes collection leaflet this morning but that has been the first since the sticker went up so im delighted

I'm jealous, I'd to let the lads out @ a fvcker this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

I love junk mail, I save it and make paper logs :)) free fuel and you cant beat a real fire.

But I have noticed with my neighbours that in most cases only the "legit" mailers have taken any heed of the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm jealous, I'd to let the lads out @ a fvcker this afternoon.

You're onto a loser with that if they take a lump outta them though. Our fella is big enough to bark through the mailbox if he wants to and it doesnt deter the "charity workers"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Got a sign before going on holidays a couple of weeks ago. We were getting six/seven pieces per day up to that point.

So fat all I've had in the door is a political leaflet from one of the local labour guys, but I think they're legally obliged to deliver them.

Didn't think it would work as well as it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I had this up for a while, and it reduced the amount of crap in the letterbox.

!!WARNING!!

Advertisement leaflets/mail are unwanted here.
    If you LITTER my property with them,
    I WILL prosecute YOU for illegal dumping
    and for TRESPASSING on PRIVATE PROPERTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mog24

check out my ad on adverts.ie/340343
    These signs REALLY work. Price includes postage anywhere in Ire or UK.

After orkinng for ages, fid now we're gettig a load again :(

What does that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

I don't agree with delivering stuff in the wee hours but what's wrong with bending over a few times a day to pick up some leaflets and put them in the recycling bin? It keeps someone in a job at least. I deliver political/local issue leaflets and letters sometimes and this no junk mail craze is making my life very difficult. People get so worked up about a piece of paper landing in their hallway....ridiculous if you ask me. Go get worked up about something important ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I don't agree with delivering stuff in the wee hours but what's wrong with bending over a few times a day to pick up some leaflets and put them in the recycling bin? It keeps someone in a job at least. I deliver political/local issue leaflets and letters sometimes and this no junk mail craze is making my life very difficult. People get so worked up about a piece of paper landing in their hallway....ridiculous if you ask me. Go get worked up about something important ffs.
    I dont like a whole pile of ****e on the floor of my house. It is effectively someone throwing, what is to me, rubbish through my litterbox. Sorry, letterbox

It would seem, iconline that you are the one getting worked up about nothing here. People have the right to decide whether or not they wish to receive uninvited post through the letter box, and perhaps you may consider the many people who are NOT able to bend to pick up "a few leaflets".

You choose to deliver them, we choose to refuse!............

Mog24

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I know most people sticking these in doors don't have a connection to the source and so don't give a damn what you do with them, but if you get them immediately after they've been put through the door it can be fun to stand in your porch and catch the eye of the deliverer as they walk into the next driveway and then just rip up what they've just delivered. If you happen to be in the driveway when they come in, you can take them off them, rip them up and hand them back. :)

The delivery boys and girls don't give a damn, but some of the election workers do, so the upcoming canvassers calling is going to be a fun time. Ah yes, punters and canvassers, the only really great blood sport and one that should never be banned. :) The Greens haven't banned it and they have given us the green bins, so we have that to be grateful for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Flukey wrote: »
    I know most people sticking these in doors don't have a connection to the source and so don't give a damn what you do with them, but if you get them immediately after they've been put through the door it can be fun to stand in your porch and catch the eye of the deliverer as they walk into the next driveway and then just rip up what they've just delivered. If you happen to be in the driveway when they come in, you can take them off them, rip them up and hand them back. smile.gif

That's fairly childish and sad behaviour, if you ask me. The deliverer is trying to earn a living in a country with huge unemployment. Like me, they may have a child to feed. Just because they've come to your property doesn't mean it's right to act like this. Why not go and ridicule some other worker while you're at it? Go and take the piss out of a sandwich board man, maybe? Probably not so brave when you can't scuttle back into your house, I imagine.
    mog24 wrote: »
    It would seem, iconline that you are the one getting worked up about nothing here. People have the right to decide whether or not they wish to receive uninvited post through the letter box, and perhaps you may consider the many people who are NOT able to bend to pick up "a few leaflets".

You choose to deliver them, we choose to refuse!............

Mog24

I'm not getting worked up. It's the people who shout at me from the windows of their house that they don't want a piece of paper through their letterbox who get worked up. I respect that people have the right to decide what comes through their letterboxes. And I blame the take-aways for sending out so much stuff. But as I said, the delivery guys are just trying to earn a living, as are the companies advertising. When a living needs to be earned "choosing" to deliver them isn't really the case anymore. And I doubt there's "many" people who can't bend over to pick something up off the ground, come on. My next door neighbour is 100 and can do that. Besides, there's attachments for letterboxes to catch post, and, indeed, what about regular post they receive. Weak argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No, you bend over.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

That's fairly childish and sad behaviour, if you ask me. The deliverer is trying to earn a living in a country with huge unemployment. Like me, they may have a child to feed. Just because they've come to your property doesn't mean it's right to act like this. Why not go and ridicule some other worker while you're at it? Go and take the piss out of a sandwich board man, maybe? Probably not so brave when you can't scuttle back into your house, I imagine.

I'm not getting worked up. It's the people who shout at me from the windows of their house that they don't want a piece of paper through their letterbox who get worked up. I respect that people have the right to decide what comes through their letterboxes. And I blame the take-aways for sending out so much stuff. But as I said, the delivery guys are just trying to earn a living, as are the companies advertising. When a living needs to be earned "choosing" to deliver them isn't really the case anymore. And I doubt there's "many" people who can't bend over to pick something up off the ground, come on. My next door neighbour is 100 and can do that. Besides, there's attachments for letterboxes to catch post, and, indeed, what about regular post they receive. Weak argument.

If people don't want them, then they don't want them. I've delivered things to doors, and if I see a sign or person that tells me that they don't want them, then I move on. The vast majority of people, whether they have signs up or not, don't want this stuff, a bit like inboxes filling up with junk email. The printers of the stuff get profits, and the companies they advertise for must get a little reward for it, but I think the vast majority of us don't want it and most of it ends up in the green bin or the fireplace. There is an awful lot of waste.

There are of course genuine people delivering them who want to earn a living, but you will also see batches of them dumped rather than being delivered by some of the people that do this. If they don't want to deliver them then they should at least throw them in a green bin, rather than leaving them to be scattered all over the streets by the wind.

It would be great to see people hired to clean up some of the junk that lie on our streets, and I don't just mean the flyers, and get it all recycled. That would be something people would welcome. Our county councils and community groups should do more of that kind of thing. They only seem to do it coming close to elections, especially the local ones. I know of one place near me that was gathering rubbish for years and needed cleaning, and it finally did... a few weeks before the local elections. On that basis, we should have local elections a lot more regularly, as we'd get a lot of what we needed done.

Having the elections is provided of course that the candidates don't go overboard with election posters, and get every single one of them, and every one of those plastic cable ties removed within days of the election. Within hours of an election being called, these posters are everywhere, but weeks, months and even years, after the final count has closed, there are many of them left. They should be able to get them down as quick as they get them up and there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't. You can nearly tell the age and the amount of elections that some telegraph poles and street lights have been around for by counting the cable ties, much like rings indicate the age of trees. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Flukey wrote: »
    I know most people sticking these in doors don't have a connection to the source and so don't give a damn what you do with them, but if you get them immediately after they've been put through the door it can be fun to stand in your porch and catch the eye of the deliverer as they walk into the next driveway and then just rip up what they've just delivered. If you happen to be in the driveway when they come in, you can take them off them, rip them up and hand them back. :)
    That's fairly childish and sad behaviour, if you ask me.

+1.

Got to agree there. fairly childish & a little sad for an adult to act like that.

I don't think the person delivering will really give a them, but I'd guess their opinion of someone acting like that would be less than complimentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jondo12

Most of them have started to ignore the signs now. Especially the charity clothes sticker guy and Mizzonis pizza who leave their junk hanging out of the letter box for all burglars to see. One thing I can do is boycott them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

jondo12 wrote: »
    Most of them have started to ignore the signs now. Especially the charity clothes sticker guy and Mizzonis pizza who leave their junk hanging out of the letter box for all burglars to see. One thing I can do is boycott them.

Well its a well-known fact that the "charity clothes collections" are little more than a money making scam..and mizzonis can fcuck off with thier overpriced Pizzas(they bunged a euro onto the price of everything a while back) and i have a pain in my hole filling up my green bin with other peoples junk..i've never actually caught anybody delivering though..but when i do!;)

• Advertisement

Noticed this myself recently. Anything that comes in with a physical address on it, goes back to them in an envelope with no stamp & "Postage paid by recipient" written on it. The clothing collection stickers go straight in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Most of them have started to ignore the signs now.

Probably need to put the signs in a few different languages, they may not read English

Though there is nothing complicated about a three word sign
    Degsy wrote: »
    Well its a well-known fact that the "charity clothes collections" are little more than a money making scam..i've never actually caught anybody delivering though..but when i do!;)

I have, they arrive in the estate before six am. Though my letterbox is a metal box on the wall they still have tried my door handle, opportunistic scum :mad:
    It's an opportunity to scope out properties and see where is empty, they have a good look around.

Must be the modern equivalent of "my cat was in your garden" when you challenge them
    iMax wrote: »
    Noticed this myself recently. Anything that comes in with a physical address on it, goes back to them in an envelope with no stamp & "Postage paid by recipient" written on it. The clothing collection stickers go straight in the bin.

If they have Freepost like UPC, send your phone directory, I think they get charged for the weight ;)

Advertisement