Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIRGUNS YOUR VIEWS ON THEM.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

guns4fun wrote: »
    I do know that the FCP during their talks on the new firearms licencing system did try to get airguns downgraded from firearms but the doj just wanted nothing to do with it.
    Actually, no, that's not what happened.
    From our report on the first FCP Conference, during a workshop on the second day:
    The idea of raising the muzzle energy threshold for airguns from the current 1 joule to the 12 ft-lb level of the UK or the 7-joule level of the German system was brought up, and again wasn't shot down - there's no perceived problem with things like paintball (and I made the point that paintball markers have twice the muzzle energy of an air rifle so if they're okay, we should be too, and I pointed out the problems of bringing in air rifles for competitions). However, while this is a possible thing that may happen (in, say, the Misc.Provisions Bill) it needs to be discussed at FCP level first. Des Crofton made the point that while this is definitely something we should be looking to do, practical limits on people may lead to the FCP having short-term, medium-term and long-term goals, and this may not make it to the short-term list.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

does this mean that there might be a glimmer of hope sometime in the future????

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I choose to believe so.

Advertisement