Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's Music

Options
  • 10-06-2010 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Ok some people might think I'm mad (feel free to comment if you do :D) but whats with some of the music these days. I mean what's with Ndubz and the rest of that crappy rap/singing genre. Come on!!! How do people listen to that stuff. What happened all the good bands like Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac etc. I know it's a different decade and all that but has music REALLY changed that much?? And the whole worldwide phonmanon with Justin Bieber? Come on people! He's still a person like the rest of us! Whats the big deal?! I just don't see it!

Now I feel better after my little rant! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

What has happened to the charts. They used to be great singles out. Now its complete rubbish. I was delighted that the arctics got to number one a few years back but it will happen very seldom that a great song will get to number one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

StereoLove wrote: »
    Ok some people might think I'm mad (feel free to comment if you do :D) but whats with some of the music these days. I mean what's with Ndubz and the rest of that crappy rap/singing genre. Come on!!! How do people listen to that stuff. What happened all the good bands like Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac etc. I know it's a different decade and all that but has music REALLY changed that much?? And the whole worldwide phonmanon with Justin Bieber? Come on people! He's still a person like the rest of us! Whats the big deal?! I just don't see it!

Parents have been saying the exact same thing about the music their son's and daughter's were listening to, for generations. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Really you're only mentioning what's currently in the charts, which doesn't really reflect todays real musical climate. Besides who really cares what's in the charts when you have a pretty strong indie and electronica scene at the moment and with the internet it's not that difficult to dive into.

Ever since the 80's the charts have been filled with commercial, teenage money-spinning trash so it's nothing new. Just ignore it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Ok some people might think I'm mad (feel free to comment if you do :D) but whats with some of the music these days. I mean what's with Ndubz and the rest of that crappy rap/singing genre. Come on!!! How do people listen to that stuff. What happened all the good bands like Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac etc.

Never fear. Its changed. But they're still out there, Its under "alternative" now for some bizzare reason.

Its harder to find than in the old days just because there's sooo much more out there now.

and the whole worldwide phonmanon with Justin Bieber?

Pfft. I'd never heard of him, I had to go to youtube. A couple of years and we wont remember his name, the music industry has been churning out pretty boy marketing drones like that for ever and they never produce anything that lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Pfft. I'd never heard of him, I had to go to youtube. A couple of years and we wont remember his name, the music industry has been churning out pretty boy marketing drones like that for ever and they never produce anything that lasts.
    Thats where he came from, youtube.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Really you're only mentioning what's currently in the charts, which doesn't really reflect todays real musical climate. Besides who really cares what's in the charts when you have a pretty strong indie and electronica scene at the moment and with the internet it's not that difficult to dive into.

Ever since the 80's the charts have been filled with commercial, teenage money-spinning trash so it's nothing new. Just ignore it all.
    Well if you're flicking through the music channels that's all you'll find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Yawn.

Seriously OP that's a particularly narrow minded and short sighted rant. Do you even like music? Do you know anything about music?

Clearly not if all you are doing is looking at the charts. Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac are obviously great bands...I and many others on Boards, could probably name you a hundred great bands that are making music at the moment. Have you actually ever taken the time to look beyond the pop that is marketed at kids? I don't know why you would be looking to the charts (which are obviously going to reflect the purchasing habits of 14 year olds predominantly) for inspiration...honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

OP there is plenty of good music out there, for all tastes, more than ever I'd think. As Monkey said, you just need to look for it. Try the different music forums here for a start.

I haven't looked at the charts for years, but I'd guess it's mainly consisting of the X-Factor-idol-stars-got-talent crowd, which are carefully chosen and marketed to within an inch of their life, and this is exactly why they are top of the pops.

As for Justin whatsisname, I only heard of him the other day and that was when I heard the story of the genius web developer who made an app to block him from internet search engines!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

What's with this thread appearing every 2 weeks?

• Advertisement

Monkey61 wrote: »
    Yawn.

Seriously OP that's a particularly narrow minded and short sighted rant. Do you even like music? Do you know anything about music?

Clearly not if all you are doing is looking at the charts. Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac are obviously great bands...I and many others on Boards, could probably name you a hundred great bands that are making music at the moment. Have you actually ever taken the time to look beyond the pop that is marketed at kids? I don't know why you would be looking to the charts (which are obviously going to reflect the purchasing habits of 14 year olds predominantly) for inspiration...honestly.
    OF COURSE I likeLove music! Who dosen't? That's my complaint. The charts. You look throught the music channels and most of what you see is a load of crap if you ask me. And yes I have. I've taken quite a lot of time actually.

back when I was a kid in the 70's we had about 10 years of rock music to listen to. That necessarily meant that we had to keep up with new music coming out. thats when my habit of having to keep up with the New developed.

Now you have about 40 years of "modern" music to wade though just get current if you know what I mean. A 16 year old today has the whole catalogue of Pink FLoyd, Deep Purple, led Zepplin etc etc, in addition to Kings of leon, snow patrol and florence and the machine. So how do they even begin? I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

If you take the time to look for good music you'll find it.
    Myspace music for example is great, you can filter through different nations charts in Indie/Mainstream/Unsigned bands.
    Stay away from, MTV or Channel U and just keep your ears peeled on the radio and you're bound to find something you like.
    Out of interest, what "current" bands do you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

You look throught the music channels and most of what you see is a load of crap if you ask me. .

If you really loved music you'd know to stay clear of those advert-infested 'music' channels, as many other posters have said already.

You have to look for good music yourself. You can't just sit on your couch and expect it to land on your lap via your skybox.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    You can't just sit on your couch and expect it to land on your lap via your skybox.

Crazy really because in this modern wired world we live in you'd expect that you could sit on the couch and get quality new music on the tv.

Actually I just got sony tv that runs YouTube (over wifi) so i'm getting close...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Crazy really because in this modern wired world we live in you'd expect that you could sit on the couch and get quality new music on the tv.

Not really. This modern world is just made of markets selling things that are easy. Good music isn't easy, either to make, market, or get into. Modern pop music has a formula that can be followed, is easy to listen to, easy to forget, and most importantly, can be sold. Good music is art, which you can't do those things with. This modern wired world only cares about money. Makes sense to me.

hon pa wrote: »
    If you take the time to look for good music you'll find it.
    Myspace music for example is great, you can filter through different nations charts in Indie/Mainstream/Unsigned bands.
    Stay away from, MTV or Channel U and just keep your ears peeled on the radio and you're bound to find something you like.
    Out of interest, what "current" bands do you like?
    Do they have to be bands?
    Well if you're asking me about bands, Kings Of Leon, Florence and The Machine, Snow Patrol, The Blizzards, The Caronas etc etc..

Actually I just got sony tv that runs YouTube (over wifi) so i'm getting close...
    Oh I saw that advertised..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm glad I have no idea who NDubz or Justin Bieber are :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Malice_ wrote: »
    I'm glad I have no idea who NDubz or Justin Bieber are :).

That's why you're our moderator ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

its all relative really, we look back to the past as being great cos we only remember the great bands, the justin biebers and n-dubz of previous generations have long been forgotten, in twenty years time the same will be true of this generation's music

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

El Pr0n wrote: »
    That's why you're our moderator ;)
    I'm a CMod too you know - double rations of hookers n' coke :pac:.

In fairness though, with the advent of the Internet and sites like Jamendo, never mind the availability of copyrighted music, there is just so much amazing music out there that I can never understand why people who profess to be music fans feel they have to even acknowledge the latest flavour of the month act that gets churned out and splurged all over the radio and music tv channels. Go and discover music for yourself, don't be restricted by the stock in your local HMV store or what you see on MTV.

Just for the OP, here is Jamendo's list of albums tagged "classic rock". I'm sure you'll be able to find something in there worth listening to :).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The best music there's ever been has been written in the last 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

That's so narrow minded, you are clearly into rock and well that just isn't in anymore. It's from a different era, time has moved on and with it music like every decade since the 50's. Right now pop is big, party tunes etc. I also want to say you might find something in the charts, don't be a snob and listen to some users on here telling you stay away. You never know, what they might not like you may fancy a smidgen.

If pop isn't for you fine but don't badmouth it just because you don't feel it's your kind of music. If you really love music you should be able to appreciate the fact that people have different tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Music from 2 weeks ago is so f*cking passé. Music from next week promises to be the best the best the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

If you rely on the charts as some barometer for the state you music, then you deserve Bieber.

A plague of Biebers on your house!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

My 8 year old was watching her Micheal Jackson vid a while back and myself and my friend were chatting about how we were terrified when the Thriller video first came out, and over the course of the conversation we must have mentioned seeing the video on tv (good ol' MTUSA;))
    My daughter picked up on this and began asking questions...she (being brought up on youtube and us having no cable tv) was flabbergasted at the thought of being able to watch videos on telly and thought it was great that "you didn't even have to pick them or anything mammy?!":D

Re the OP, I definitely went through the musical doldrums for quite a few years in my late 20's but after investing in an mp3 player about 3 years back I've been turned on and am a total music junkie again.

OP ask your friends what they're listening to, check out music magazines, music forums or listen to late night radio (more likely to play alternative music..I especially love Paul Mcloone of an evening) and just check out new (and old bands) Thats the thing I most love about the net..you can check out a song/band on youtube and if you like you can invest...if not move on...plenty more fish in the sea.

Advertisement