Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiked Drink

• 10-06-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

First off the bat,

I come from the scholl of thought that 90% of those who have "something slipped" into their drink are the ones who chose to ignore the 8 pints they had and just like to blame their actions on said spiked drink. A little harsh maybe but that is def my experience.

Now, my cousin was out in a well know pub in town (I'd like to say where but maybe a Mod could OK it first to be sure) and this actually happened to him. On his first pint had his back to his drink talking to his OH turned around finished drink and was out like a light. They couldn't wake him in the pub so paramedics had to wheel him out and straight to A&E. AFAIK toxicology came back that had whatever tested positive (although I'm not sure was this true)

this this is a major shock for me because I sometimes drink in this pub and more importantly I have been known to leave my drink down and wander off for a good 5min. I can't imagine the level of scumbag that would randomly just spike someones drink.

Like Daterape is one of the worst crimes I can think of but at least the culprit has a "reason" to do it for want of a better word.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

i think it should be named. not to name and shame as such, but for people to know to be a bit more vigilant in keeping an eye on their drinks and others that are with them. i dont think the venue could have been blamed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

MacGyver wrote: »
    i think it should be named. not to name and shame as such, but for people to know to be a bit more vigilant in keeping an eye on their drinks and others that are with them. i dont think the venue could have been blamed for it.

I disagree. I'm sure a person spiked the drink, not the bar so naming the bar will do no good. Who's to say this person only drinks there? They could be in any bar in Waterford at any time.

Just look after your drink when you are out, no matter where you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Sounds a bit odd that he collapsed or whatever straight after drinking the pint? Not an authority by any means but would it not take time to enter the system before it would make you do that? From what I've read rohypnol takes time to enter the system - this is why people that have been spiked with rohypnol don't collapse immediately as the "date rape" drug wouldn't be of much use then.
    ziedth wrote: »
    AFAIK toxicology came back that had whatever tested positive (although I'm not sure was this true)
    Did your edit remove the name of whatever turned up in the toxicology tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If you were in somewhere where food was served, restaurant or fast food, and someone had their food spiked, surely the information would be made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

MacGyver wrote: »

Definately not. Do we kniw exactly what the toxicology report stated? No. Do we know if the other person is a drug user? No.

Not saying that he is, mind you.

Spiked drinks are an urban myth? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6440589/Date-rape-drink-spiking-an-urban-legend.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I think its best to leave the bar unnamed, as has already been stated I'm sure its not the bar or the bar staff who allegedly spiked the drink. Buy naming the bar is in some way saying the the owners of the bar are in someway responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Fair enough,

I can tell you for def though the young lad is not a drug user.

No, I edited the post due to a number of spelling errors caused by fat fingers and an iPhone.

I simply started the thread to make people aware that it is happening and as I said in my OP that the vast majority of people are unknowningly blaming the drugs and basically making it up.

Might be an interesting discussion, do you know someone it has happened to etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

ziedth wrote: »
    Might be an interesting discussion, do you know someone it has happened to etc.

I'm pretty sure it happened to me a few years ago. Now I had had about 2 cans in a house before going into town. It was early, about 5 and we were at a barbecue so I was eating at the same time. Had a pint of Guinness in Sheffs (What Harvey's was back in the good old days!) and then when into the Old Stand which is no longer there. Had a pint of beer, left it unattended to go to the toilet and was back within a minute. I remember nothing more of the night.

Now the lads told me that I had a few more drinks after that but said that I did seem to get hammered after that one pint. Slept for 18 hours after going home and heart was racing for the whole next day.

Scary not remembering anything about the night. I've been pretty wasted before but you can always remember certain things. I have zero memories after that unattended pint. So I can't be sure if my drink was spiked or not but I haven't left a pint unattended since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Its happened to me, i have 24hrs of my life that i still can't remember, and its been 6 years now! Long story short, was out with the ex and a female friend, he got chatting to a group of lads beside us, and was oblivious to a large group of American Navy who tried to chat us up. The yanks didn't want to hear "No thanks, I'm here with my boyfriend", and said BF was thick in conversation with his new buddies and wouldn't be budged. So the two of us went off to the loo to wait it out for a few minutes until the Yanks moved off. When we got back to our drinks i noticed mine had a bit of a tang to it, but drank it anyway(oh how stupid of me!!), and within minutes i was stumbling and generally acting like a typical drunk. This was after 2 drinks!! So we all headed home as i was "inebriated" and the last thing i remember is the front door.

When i woke up, the BF was packing his clothes getting ready to leave and i had the worst headache i have ever experienced. He kept looking at me strangely when i asked him what he was doing(queue lots of sarcastic "oh you really don't know why I'm packing" and "yeah right, you don't remember anything"s) Turns out we had spent the entire night having a screaming match through the locked bathroom door, about what I don't know. Eventually he calmed down enough to see that i was genuine, and i spent the next two days recovering. If I had been more coherent, (or him more sensible lol) i would have been down in the hospital getting a blood test, but all i can assume now is that someone had spiked my drink, probably one of the yanks as they weren't pleased that we weren't falling all over them. Thankfully i had a friend with me who insisted we go home, because if i'd left it to the Ex, we would have stayed in the club and god knows what would have happened......

The moral of the story???? Never leave your drink unattended, or finish it before you go off wandering, and lose the BF who doesn't want to help his better half out and get a better one lol!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

It happened me a few years ago, was after working all day and on my way home decided to nip in for a quick pint, got chatting to two lads who I knowhad 2 pints and went home. Remembered going in my front door but thats it. Was living with the parents at the time and got an earful the next morning about the drunkin state that I come home in and caused damage and trouble in the house.They wouldnt believe I only had 2 pints, I actually brought them to the girl who was workin in the pub that nyt and she confirmed I only drank 2 pints. So I started asking questions and found out the two lads I was chatting with decided that it would be a laugh to spike some peoples drink and see what happens ( they spiked 6 people that nyt).

They found out what happened they got a lot of broken bones when people found out what they were at:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

shinikins wrote: »
    Its happened to me, i have 24hrs of my life that i still can't remember, and its been 6 years now! Long story short, was out with the ex and a female friend, he got chatting to a group of lads beside us, and was oblivious to a large group of American Navy who tried to chat us up. The yanks didn't want to hear "No thanks, I'm here with my boyfriend", and said BF was thick in conversation with his new buddies and wouldn't be budged. So the two of us went off to the loo to wait it out for a few minutes until the Yanks moved off. When we got back to our drinks i noticed mine had a bit of a tang to it, but drank it anyway(oh how stupid of me!!), and within minutes i was stumbling and generally acting like a typical drunk. This was after 2 drinks!! So we all headed home as i was "inebriated" and the last thing i remember is the front door.

Is this why girls go to the jacks in groups? To get away from fellas harassing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

dayshah wrote: »
    Is this why girls go to the jacks in groups? To get away from fellas harassing them?

It was in this case, usually i have no problem going anywhere by myself, but try having 6 guys who are built like brick sh*thouses harass you, and i certainly wasn't going to leave a friend in that situation by herself.

Advertisement