Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh 2010: a backwards marathon training log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

all the best at wknd !

looking forward to the report ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

aero2k wrote: »
    Given the benign nature of the first 6.5 miles, (especially if the wind is kind) I've been toying with the idea of trying to hang on to a fast group from the start, as per the Liberties 6.5k, though that's a bit of a gamble, and it's a long way to go if I get it wrong. I'll see how it feels on the day - if it all goes pear shaped I can have another go in a few weeks.

I'm always wondering why I can never find a good group at the start of a race. The last few races I went off with a fast group, then after 1-1.5 miles I looked at the pace and thought...5sec/mile too fast, a bit too rich for me...I ease back, work on my own for a while, group behind catch up and after a mile I realise they're too slow. I spend the rest of the race closing the gap to the group I was originally with and thinking sh*te, should have stayed with them for the off. What I've come to realise is that I'm not the only one in the race with a garmin on, I'm not the only one who is tuned into pace.....I just give in to caution far too early...95%* of people go out too fast so the fast group backs off a little also. So if after a mile they're 5sec a mile too fast, you can be sure they will cut back on the pace a little.

Therefore, you need to be looking for a 5:50 pace group for the first 2 miles. They'll probably back off to 5:55 a mile after that. You may think that 5:50 is over cooking it but remember, you're drafting, its easily worth 5sec/mile. Also, if you 'miss the boat' so to speak, you'll spend the rest off the race running mostly 5:55-6:00 on your own with sporadic 5:45-5:50 efforst as you speed up a little to catch a group just ahead. Running 5:55 off the back of a group will be so much easier.

I'm not saying this tactic will work, but i would appreciate you trying it out and giving feedback before my next race.

Best of luck at the weekend, very interested to see how ye all get on. I think 10 mile races are a true test.....theres nowhere to hide over 10 miles, its so tough to hold LT pace for an hour.

*made up statistic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭aero2k

tisnotover wrote: »
    all the best at wknd !

looking forward to the report ! :)
    Thanks tno, I meant to try to borrow that invisible pole you used to hang on to Mick Rice in Cork - too late now so I'll have to rely on the legs and pure stubborness!
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    I'm always wondering why I can never find a good group at the start of a race. The last few races I went off with a fast group, then after 1-1.5 miles I looked at the pace and thought...5sec/mile too fast, a bit too rich for me...I ease back, work on my own for a while, group behind catch up and after a mile I realise they're too slow. I spend the rest of the race closing the gap to the group I was originally with and thinking sh*te, should have stayed with them for the off. What I've come to realise is that I'm not the only one in the race with a garmin on, I'm not the only one who is tuned into pace.....I just give in to caution far too early...95%* of people go out too fast so the fast group backs off a little also. So if after a mile they're 5sec a mile too fast, you can be sure they will cut back on the pace a little.

Therefore, you need to be looking for a 5:50 pace group for the first 2 miles. They'll probably back off to 5:55 a mile after that. You may think that 5:50 is over cooking it but remember, you're drafting, its easily worth 5sec/mile. Also, if you 'miss the boat' so to speak, you'll spend the rest off the race running mostly 5:55-6:00 on your own with sporadic 5:45-5:50 efforst as you speed up a little to catch a group just ahead. Running 5:55 off the back of a group will be so much easier.

I'm not saying this tactic will work, but i would appreciate you trying it out and giving feedback before my next race.

Best of luck at the weekend, very interested to see how ye all get on. I think 10 mile races are a true test.....theres nowhere to hide over 10 miles, its so tough to hold LT pace for an hour.

*made up statistic
    It's not an easy thing to get right. Garmins or not, every race I've ever been in has started with me being swamped by crowds flying past - even 5:30 pace doesn't stop it from happening. I'm starting to think it's a bit of an illusion though, if 10 people go past it can seem like 100 as it happens so fast. I've begun trying not to look at the watch for a few minutes and hoping that if my breathing is ok then I'm not over-cooking it. In the Liberties race if I'd looked at the Garmin I'd definitely have backed off. Fortunately the lady who won was near me at the start - I've finished just ahead of her in a few races but she'd been 1 min ahead of me in the Adidas 5 mile - so I decided to hang on and hope for the best. The first 500m was hell but it settled down into a nice rhythm after that.

I agree with you about 5:50 pace at the start. (Damn, Krusty is getting all the good tips too!). The first 6 miles or so is about the fastest I could imagine getting anywhere in Ireland (wind permitting), there's only one tiny hill at the back of the zoo, and the rest of it is very gently up or downhill. In fact you only notice the gradients when running alone, in a fast race you'd say it was dead flat.

Krusty and myself averaged under 6 min/miles for a fairly tough 10k on a hot evening back in June. We've both done some threshold work since then so 5:50 might be a reasonable "stretch" target for the first 6. The real problem with finding a group is that the 5.50 guys & gals will probably start at 5:30, so we'll have to try to work our way up to a group over the first mile or two. I reckon it's worth risking a bit physically for the psychological benefits of being dragged along later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the advice on the route. That's really useful. I'm afraid you're not going to feature too heavily in my race, as the first time I'll be curious as to your whereabouts will be after I cross the finish line, and I sincerely hope you'll be ahead of me (I think the Krusty Vs aero speculation may be a contrived myth). This race is about two things for me: maintaining sub 6 minute mile for 10 miles, and the clock. The other 8,000 runners are tools to be used along the way for motivation.

The way I see it, I'll beat the 60 minutes if I'm ready and I have a good day (both need to happen). If I don't, then I'm not quite ready yet and I'll do it the next time. Or the next.. Best of luck with your goal. I hope I get a chance to say hello beforehand (but ideally not until afterwards!).

The way I see it, I'll beat the 60 minutes if I'm ready and I have a good day (both need to happen). If I don't, then I'm not quite ready yet and I'll do it the next time. Or the next.

Yes, that's my thoughts exactly. I was disappointed with the '08 run and espicially the '09, but now I look back '08 was pretty good considering the (lack of) training, and in '09 I went on to achieve the bigger goal in DCM.

Hope to meet you afterwards as well - I tend not to be too sociable beforehand:)!

I'll be the skinny old baldy guy collapsed on the grass after the finish - that narrows it down to about 50 or so!

• Advertisement

Ah, where do I start? Like most serious athletes (don't laugh:)) I tried to get a few excuses out in advance, but in retrospect I could have done with more. To be completely honest ever since the Liberties race - the only race I've ever done that gives me a McMillan 10m time under 60 min - I've felt a bit wrecked. My Raheny 2 mile time of 11:10 gives 63:06 for 10 miles, and Raheny is flat and well sheltered. Fortunately I didn't check that bit of info out before the race.

After an enforced break last week, a good tempo run last sat and a slightly easier one last Tues left me feeling hopeful - at least I could say I had done everything possible to get to the start line in good shape. I felt sub 60 was a possibility, but I'd need calm weather, a bit of a flyer from the legs, and a good group to fall in with. In the event I got none of those 3. No excuses here, the main problem was the legs.

I lined up about 6 rows back from the front, and after a nervous 10 min or so on the line, we were off. I decided to run at a comfortable pace, and not to check the watch until after the Phoenix roundabout. When I did it showed 5:38/mile. A bit quick, but it was slightly downhill, with a tailwind, so no panic. Passed the first mile at 5:47 - just about right I thought. It got a bit harder when we turned left at the zoo, but I rarely feel good for the first few miles of a long run, so I just tried to keep the speed up. Mile 2 was 5:56, a little worrying, but I reckoned I'd pick it up over the next couple. Mile 3 was 6:06 - it would have been slower but I was passed by a few people, including Racman, and I made an effort to get by them again. Mile 4 is probably the most exposed, and here I was in trouble. The field was fairly strung out, and there was one runner in front of me and a big gap in front of him. I had a decision to make - go round him and close the gap, or draft until the 4 mile mark and hopefully have a tailwind on Chesterfield Ave. I chose the latter, but that meant a 6:15 mile, leaving me outside 24 min to 4 miles which was not where I needed to be. It seemed there was a bit of a tailwind on the main road, however further along I began to feel the breeze, so I tucked in again. A 6.02 mile brought me to halfway, and at this point I was physically and mentally empty. I just didn't seem to be able to make myself suffer and I wasn't enjoying it at all. The breathing was fine, the legs weren't heavy or painful, it just seemed there was nothing there when I tried to step on the gas.

As we turned down Acres Rd - a surprise to me but a welcome one as I hoped a run down the Khyber might help me build some momentum - Krusty came alongside and we swapped intros. He moved ahead and I have to admit he sucked the remaining life-force from me - he looked strong and smooth, while I was feeling increasingly sluggish. All hope of increased momentum was dashed as we took a sharp left to bring us back towards Chesterfield Ave, and there was the wind again. Still, mile 6 was 5:59, so I still held out hope of a good time, if not a sub 60. The sharp right onto Wellington Rd brought more hope as I saw 5:47 on the Garmin before we hit the steep downhill, however this was shortlived; as the downhill progressed I slowed and then it was onto the hill. I didn't do too bad here, but again it was probably too easy - my legs weren't strong enough to make the heart and lungs work to the max. 6:19 for that mile, and with 3 to go I thought I might still manage 61 min.

It was not to be, as we hit the water station I felt my left calf tighten - you know that feeling you get a millisecond before a muscle cramps up? - well that one. It wasn't painful, but every step felt it was about to sieze. I nursed it along to the 8 mile mark, 6:32 for that mile and all about not losing too much time now. Mile 9 took 6:42 as the cramping got a bit more intense - I reckoned one false move would bring me to a complete stop and ruin any hope of a PB, so I had to nurse it along. Mile 10 was 6:21, and amazingly my Garmin showed my average pace for the last 100m or so as 5:21 min/mile. It didn't hurt that much, but then I could see the finish and I was really trying for the sub 62. It wasn't to be, 62:03 and a PB by 2:47, albeit on an easier course.

I suppose my disappointment is a measure of the progress I've made over 2 years, and particularly in recent months. I think I may have been a bit ambitious - while I have been doing some tempo, I've only recently hit the 6:00 miles, for 3 miles at a time, and it has been tough. I think the recent races have caught up with me too. The calf isn't an excuse, I reckon it cost me a minute at most, so I was still 6 sec/mile off the pace. In a strange way it's encouraging though, I know if I give the training another month or two, and get one of those good days that come along for me every so often, sub 60 is well within my reach.

I'm going to take a week off now, do some gentle cycling, and make a comeback in the 4 mile at Tinryland next Sat.

I really enjoyed meeting all the boardsies: I'm not going to list them as last time I did that I left out Misty and he still hasn't forgiven me.:)

Stats: Ave HR 178, max 186 (last year 182/188)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was sorry when I heard at the finish line that that it didn't go according to plan for you, most people seemed disappointed with their times today. Wasn't an easy day out there today!

Ya don't want to peak too early anyway. :pac:

Thanks RQ, sorry I missed you at the finish, there was a huge gang of us gathered. Krusty and myself stopped just after chip return and were chatting like two auld wans when we were politely asked to move on - if only someone could have moved me on during the race! (Krusty actually came up behind me chatting to someone all the while, telling his whole life story just like an American would to a complete stranger. Not sure if it was an imtimidation tactic - it worked!)

Sorry for not making Ryans, it was all I could do to hobble home, fall into the shower, and then to bed. I did manage to cut the grass later but that involved letting the mower pull me along.

I'm glad to hear you were faster than last year despite the missed target. Don't let it get to you - DCM '09 was the first race where I hit my real target, and that was number 15 since the big comeback after the little 25 year lay-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

ha ha I got my very own mention there, thanks :D

Its not that bad all the same. A great time really, well done Aero. Enjoy the week off.

Sorry to read the report that it didn't go too well, even harder to read when you've been in such good form lately!

Enjoy the week off, you'll have the appetite for more after it.

• Advertisement

Thanks tno,

I'm not too bothered about it, apart from the odd stitch that's the first time I've had a physical problem (other than slowness :D) in around 30 races, so no cause for complaint. It was one of those days - I thought it was windy in spots, others said it was calm, I reckon on a good day I wouldn't have noticed the wind.

I think I got a bit carried away after the Liberties 6.5k - that was a big jump up in average pace for me and I probably needed a few more weeks of tempo to be able to cope with a similar effort over 10 miles. I also got a bit impatient and upped the tempo pace to match that suggested by my race time - I'm partially blaming that for the tiredness in the 10 days leading up to the race.

I'm happy enough to have stuck to the task without doing any permanent damage, I think it'll stand to me in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

A pb by nearly 3 minutes!!!! That's 18 seconds a mile. Considering you weren't 100% this is phenonomal. Anyday you run a pb is a good day. Well done and sub 60 will come sooner rather than later.

A pb by nearly 3 minutes!!!! That's 18 seconds a mile. Considering you weren't 100% this is phenonomal. Anyday you run a pb is a good day. Well done and sub 60 will come sooner rather than later.
    Thanks TRR, coming from a 56 min man that's a real compliment.

I seem to be better by 15-20 sec per mile at everything this year, so I'm hoping with a bit more patience I'll be able to continue the improvements.

I really enjoyed your race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Whats all this I hear about you struggling on the day...........You look like you were having a great auld time:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25938822@N07/4912542441/in/set-72157624648356865/

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

tunguska wrote: »
    Whats all this I hear about you struggling on the day...........You look like you were having a great auld time:)

Yeah, plenty of smiles there aero. What's the story?

Git101 wrote: »
    Yeah, plenty of smiles there aero. What's the story?

Well, at that stage it was either laugh or cry, so I chose the former.:D And Woddle seems to have been kind enough to catch me airborne in all of his pics!

I could make a complete liar of myself and say I was grimacing, but then someone would be along to quote the post in the Frank Duffy thread where I told Woddle I was smiling! It's probably a sign of me not being in the proper race mental zone - I normally don't see photographers, let alone acknowledge them (I think Woddle may have got smiles at 4 and 9.5 miles!

Just to waffle on a bit more, I actually think smiling is a good way of convincing yourself you're not suffering. I think I told this one before, but close to the end of Edinburgh, I passed two fit-looking lycra-clad girls waiting at a bus stop - probably half marathon finishers - who gave me a great cheer. I gave them a wave and just managed to catch one loudly exclaiming to the other "he's smiling!"

TBH, I don't think I've ever run a race that I didn't enjoy. Long may it continue.

Race report: Tinryland Rockford Rooftile 4 mile.

Note: the course was 4 miles and 180m - no complaints as all the mile marks and the extra 180m were clearly marked on the road, and it meant the start and finish were in the lovely little village.

This was my first day running since the Frank Duffy. I had an easy 4 mile run in the morning, then drove to meet up with Git 101 for the drive to the start. The usual pre-race excuses chat, a slight hiccup with my pre-reg (dealt with very efficiently) and then off for an easy jog and some strides.

As we lined up at the start I spotted the winner of the Liberties ladies race - I had hung onto her for 2.5 miles that night and was hoping to do the same for this race- but a crowd gathered very quickly and I found myself about 4 rows back. The gun went off and I almost got carried away in the rush - I decided to take it handy as I knew it was downhill. I had also decided not to look at the Garmin, however there was a timekeeper at the 1 mile mark and I almost keeled over when I heard him calling "5:11, 5:12 as I passed"! It really was a steep downhill, I thought my legs were going to fall off! From then on I never really felt great, however I managed to recover from a few wobbly episodes and hung on ok. Got to 2 in 11:03, then a 6:21 mile where we regained all the lost elevation followed by a 5:58 downhill/uphill mile. The last 180m was just outside 6min/mile pace. I was a bit disappointed with the time, my cautiousness, and the few times where I had the opportunity to chase people but struggled to raise the pace, however the average pace of 5:51 is 3rd on my all-time list, and not too bad on a hilly course. Also my HR of 185 for miles 2,3 and 4 indicates I was at least making a consistent effort.

I did a reasonably brisk 14 miles yesterday morning and felt a twinge in my left knee towards the end. It's worse now but I'll try an easy jog later. Hopefully no harm done.

So, some updates.

Wounded Knee

The aforementioned knee was fine. The long story is that I'd been meaning to get new shoes for a while, but for financial reasons, difficulty deciding what to get, and pure procrastination, I hadn't done it. I eventually decided to take a leap in the dark by ordering a pair of Adizero Tempo from Wiggle. They arrived the day after I got the twinge, and I started to use them immediately. I had no further knee problems.
    I've been pretty good about logging which shoes I wear for each run, but not so good for keeping a running total of miles per shoe. The knee niggle prompted me to review the numbers and I was horrified to find that my 2 favourite pairs, a 2009 DS trainer that I'd run DCM '09 in and the 2010 DS trainers that I had bought with Edinburgh 2010 in mind, but eschewed in favour of Hyperspeeds, had 880 and 500 miles up respectively. They both look and feel fine, but maybe they've lost a bit of cushioning. Anyway it's something I'll keep a closer eye on in future.

Adamstown 10k 11th Sept.

As mentioned elswhere this was a great race, very well organised, extremely safe, and despite being pretty flat it would be a challenging course, even without the wind. There are lots of turns and some very long straights, and the out and back sections mean you can keep an eye on the leaders - that's if you're not wrapped up in your own suffering.

I was hoping to find someone running around 36-36:30 that I could latch onto at the start, but I didn't really recognise anyone in that category. I decided that the leading ladies might be a good target so when the gun went off I sat in behind Linda Byrne. There were two other guys between me and her, and one or two others running beside them. I felt fine for the first few hundred metres, and I allowed myself a quick glance at the Garmin to make sure I wasn't starting too fast. 5:40 seemed okay, and I hoped it would settle down at that. After 1k or so the ladies opened up a slight gap. I felt the pace was too quick for me to go with so I opted to stay with the two lads, hoping they'd keep a nice pace up. Unfortunately we dropped one guy very quickly, and though he got back to us it was short lived and he went backwards a second time, never to return.

Now I was in a nice rhythm, tucked in out of the wind behind a mercifully tall guy, and though I could see Linda Byrne ahead, seemingly running at the same pace as us, I couldn't seem to pick up the pace to close the gap. The remainder of the race progressed with me working with my new friend, him leading into the wind and me going ahead when the wind eased. He told me after the race he was glad of this as he felt strong in the wind, but tired otherwise, and from my perspective I was glad of the company. It seemed we were both trying to encourage each other without saying anything; the only brief words were him offering me a share of his bottle after the water station and me declining the offer (I learned in Dunshaughlin that high intensity and water don't mix well, though in that case the water was in a cup.)

I had decided in advance not to rely on the Garmin other than the odd time check at a km marker, and this turned out to be a mistake. I noticed that the average pace was 5:48 at one point, and I was pleased, however I didn't look at the "current lap" field which was probably 6:10 at that point - that might have made me raise the effort a bit.

I battled on past the turn at the 8km mark which took us into a headwind all the way to the finish. I hung on as best as I could but my companion slipped away from me in the last 500m, and I was overtaken soon after by a very fast finishing Aoife Brady from Sportsworld. I finished in 37:34 for 14th place and 1st in category - nice to get a prize but disappointed with the time.

Mile splits were 5:33, 5:52, 6:10, 5:50, 6:04, 6:11, 6:10 (average for last section).

The positives that I'm taking out of it are that the av HR of 177 was relatively low, and I felt fresh afterwards.

Lessons learned:
    • If the pace feels too "comfortable", it probably is. If in doubt, check the Garmin.
    • Running into the wind is hard.
    Garmin log here
    It was very nice to meet Abhainn after the race, even though I didn't know who he was at the time. I'd like to have congratulated him on his wonderful achievements in person. There'll be other races and hopefully I'll be a bit closer next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Good job Aero. By all accounts the wind made for a tough run.
    Congrats on your first place.

Just thinking, it would be great to get a few of us who are on the cusp of a sub 36 time (or sub 60 for 10 miles) to work together and try and all get in under the time target.

There's yourself, myself, Sosa, Gringo, Asimonov, Robinph, village runner, TNO and no doubt others I have forgotten (apologies to those who I forgot, or may have already achieved these targets - no disrespect intended!). Taking turns into the wind, and leading on the hills, and then fighting for scraps over the last 200m. It would be a blast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Taking turns into the wind

Would we not just get Mick Rice to pace us and let him do all the work into the wind? I wouldn't make him wear the baloon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Just thinking, it would be great to get a few of us who are on the cusp of a sub 36 time (or sub 60 for 10 miles) to work together and try and all get in under the time target.

There's yourself, myself, Sosa, Gringo, Asimonov, Robinph, village runner, TNO and no doubt others I have forgotten (apologies to those who I forgot, or may have already achieved these targets - no disrespect intended!). Taking turns into the wind, and leading on the hills, and then fighting for scraps over the last 200m. It would be a blast.

Pace makers like in the Grand Prix meets? :rolleyes:
    They get a fee don't they?:D

Well aero2k. Bloody great going. I hope I am as quick in a few years:p

Abhainn wrote: »
    Pace makers like in the Grand Prix meets? :rolleyes:
    They get a fee don't they?:D
    Is that an offer Abhainn? We'll pay you in beer vouchers. :)

Thanks for including me in this group. I'm a bit away from it training-wise, but on a good day and a flat course, with good pacing...the group effort is certainly a good idea.
    I was planning to hang up the racing shoes for a while after the half on Sat, but I hear Donadea is a good 10k (mid-Oct?)
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    Would we not just get Mick Rice to pace us and let him do all the work into the wind? I wouldn't make him wear the baloon though.
    We might need the balloon to keep him down to 35:59!
    Abhainn wrote: »
    Well aero2k. Bloody great going. I hope I am as quick in a few years:p
    Me too! Unfortunately I seem to be getting older faster than I'm getting quicker. I'm still a long way from being competitive in my category but I do feel more progress is possible.
    I think I got the training slightly wrong over the summer - I didn't recover properly between some races and I may have overdone it with the tempo stuff, but I've learned a lot anyway. I just feel a bit stale at the moment, as if I can go faster but it's just too much like hard work.

I'm planning 4-8 weeks nice easy aerobic running before launching into another marathon program. I'll announce a target after Krusty sets another PB in Berlin!

Speaking of PBs, I was trying to come up with all sorts of creative ways to count my races so I could claim 29 in a row, Adamstown having put me back to zero.

If I neglect 1983 and count from '08 when I became a born-again runner, I had 29 PB's in a row, but even that's cheating a bit as Adamstown '09 (8k) was a good bit slower than the previous week's Sportsworld 5mile, and Tinryland (4miles +180m) was a lot slower than the Liberties (a fraction over 4 miles).

If I'm honest and consistent, starting from this year's Great Ireland Run, I had a consecutive string at 10k (37:07), marathon (2:54:08), 5k (17:53), 10k (36:52), 4.9 miles (28:51, extrapolates to 29:22 for 5m so safe to say it was an improvement on Raheny '10 at 29:56), 6.5k (22:26), 2m (11:10) and 10 miles (62:03).

That's 8 in a row, just the same as a certain someone...bet he won't accept the Adidas 4.9 miler!:D

aero2k wrote: »
    I'll announce a target after Krusty sets another PB in Berlin!
    Lol, with that kind of pressure, I'll be running backwards in Berlin.
    So who's up for a Dublin assault on Dungarvan in the new year? Road trip!

I thought I could sense someone talking about me earlier and see my name here now! Not quiet upto that pace yet lads for 10k, but would like to try for sub-60 for 10miles in Dungarvan, be mad to get a group of us down there! :)

I'll even wear my white cap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

tisnotover wrote: »
    I thought I could sense someone talking about me earlier and see my name here now! Not quiet upto that pace yet lads for 10k, but would like to try for sub-60 for 10miles in Dungarvan, be mad to get a group of us down there! :)

I'll even wear my white cap ;)

dont want to get ahead of myself but you can count me in for dungarvan also! its next feb right? should be ok for a craic at it then but maybe ballycotton is more realistic....but i hear mallow is faster? hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Lads I can highly recommend the Craughwell 10 miler. Very well organised and that spread they laid on post race was worth the price of admission alone(which in itself was a very modest entry fee). It was on in march this year so Im assuming they'll go same again next time 'round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Lads I can highly recommend the Craughwell 10 miler. Very well organised and that spread they laid on post race was worth the price of admission alone(which in itself was a very modest entry fee). It was on in march this year so Im assuming they'll go same again next time 'round.

+1 Best race I've ever run

• Advertisement

Lol, with that kind of pressure, I'll be running backwards in Berlin.
    You'll probably still manage sub 2:50!
    +1 Best race I've ever run
    I missed this last year as it clashed with the Derby kilomathon and I had already entered. I'm slightly familiar with that part of the world and I definitely want to do this one.

Advertisement