Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh 2010: a backwards marathon training log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck morro , enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭aero2k

Seres wrote: »
    best of luck morro , enjoy
    Thanks Seres, sorry you couldn't make it, I was looking forward to a successful sub 1:30 attempt.

Dublin Half Marathon report.

I was a bit apprehensive about this race. For 6 or 7 weeks now, I've been feeling a little tired. In retrospect I think I didn't allow my body to recover properly after the Adidas 5 and Liberties 6.5k, and that, coupled with a delayed purchase of new shoes, meant I arrived at the start a little below the level I'd othewise expect. I felt I had a slight chance of going sub 1:20 if we had a perfectly calm day, however being realistic 1:22 was more likely - that would still be a 3 minute improvement over last year.

I won't detail the race mile by mile as it was pretty uneventful. I started off at 6:00 pace but lost a little on miles 3 and 4, how ever I managed to gain a bit back on miles 5,6, & 7. I was very pleased with my run up the Khyber - I worked the legs hard but the breathing was never very laboured.

I managed to get going well aftter the hill, thanks mainly to two lads who set a nice pace into the wind down Acres Road. The tight turn from the footpath onto Military Road was tricky - I'd had to do a little pushing just before it to ensure my own safety - but no harm done. I felt a lot more comfortable at this point than I had in the 10 mile - although I felt I was running to my max I was confident I'd be able to maintain the effort to the end. I passed the official 10 mile marker in 61:47, my fastest ever 10 miles, so I was happy enough with that.

Upper Glen Road was fine, the Furry Glen was tough both downhill and uphill, and the last 1.5 miles were a slog. The left calf started to give the same pre-cramp symtoms that I'd experienced in the 10, but I decided just to go for it as I was nearly home. Along the footpath leading to the final turn onto the home straight I realised Krusty had arranged a little surprise for me - he had obviously not properly disposed of that stitch he suffered near the end of the Frank Duffy, and as a result it was waiting for me! It wasn't too bad though and I was able to run the last bit at just under 6:00 mile pace.

I finished in 1:21:53 chip time, 3:07 better than last year. The main thing was that I felt better at the finish, and the tough miles 8, 10, 11, 12, and 13 were 13, 24, 20, 24, and 22 secs per mile faster than last year, with the last section being 38 sec/mile faster.

Garmin

It was nice to meet Abhain properly this time - a cracking 76 min from him - and some other boardsies. I had intended to hang around for Krusty, Git101 and RQ, but I started to get cold when the rain came down. Git had a bad day, had to walk a bit and still managed a PB, having completed Gaelforce and Achill Roar in the past few weeks. Well done!

10 weeks ago I'd have said nothing slower than 1:20 would be good enough, 2 weeks ago I'd have settled for a PB. I ran a nice controlled race, partly by feel and partly by the watch. Maybe I let a few seconds go here and there, but I managed the same ave. HR as the Adamstown race - in fact I made the same time to 10k - and I finished in reasonable shape.

I'm going to do some reading and set some definite goals for the next lot of races - I think I suffered a bit over the summer from thinking "I'll just turn up and do my best" rather than "I'm going to run a XX:XX", and also I would probably benefit from a more structured program. I'm leaning towards Daniel's marathon program at the moment.

I'll keep this log to share any thoughts I might have - the next 4 weeks at least will be gentle aerobic stuff so no need to bore you all with the details. As always, any suggestions as to how to continue / speed up the improvements are welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

aero2k wrote: »
    I had intended to hang around for Krusty, Git101 and RQ, but I started to get cold when the rain came down. Git had a bad day, had to walk a bit and still managed a PB, having completed Gaelforce and Achill Roar in the past few weeks. Well done!
    That's a great run aero, and I hope you're happy with it (I'd be very happy with it!). I did see you briefly during the race on the double-back at mile 5. I gave you a wave but you were 'in the zone', looking sharp as a razor blade. :)

Sorry about the stitch, but glad it didn't slow you down. You gotta be happy with a 6 min/mile finish!

That's a great run aero, and I hope you're happy with it (I'd be very happy with it!). I did see you briefly during the race on the double-back at mile 5. I gave you a wave but you were 'in the zone', looking sharp as a razor blade. :)

Sorry about the stitch, but glad it didn't slow you down. You gotta be happy with a 6 min/mile finish!
    Thanks Krusty,

Although it didn't show in the time, I did feel sharper than I have for a while. Crazy as it seems, the way I was ticking off the easier miles at 6:00-6:10 got me thinking "wonder if I could do this for a marathon?" It certainly felt as comfortable as the two most recent marathons, so all to play for over the next few months.

Great job on the pacing, you helped a lot of dreams come true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Well done. Pb's are always nice.
    Thought you would have mentioned the company you had.
    I had expected to collapse at some point after my previous outings but the fun bit is not knowing when.

Standing at the start line of the Leinster loop cycle at the moment... Will I never learn!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

ah cracking time Aero, well done. Nice to finish strong especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

well done aero, good solid running and to smash the PB from last year! you have 3sec on me now ;) but ill take your last years time for DCM time, if you will give it to me!

+1 on the daniels plan, im following that..well mostly and it seams to be working very well....i would advice starting at least from phase 2 though to get in all the interval sessions as when they are done, they are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Great stuff on the PB aero, delighted for ya, recover well !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Cracking run aero. Keep up the tempos, another 3 months consistent training will have you knocking out mote PBs. Great 10 mile pb also!

great time aerok , mighty improvement on last year , always gives me a good feel good factor to finish a race strong ?!

• Advertisement

Git101 wrote: »
    Standing at the start line of the Leinster loop cycle at the moment... Will I never learn!!
    If you're like me, when you cut out the old mistakes, you'll find plenty of new ones!
    ah cracking time Aero, well done. Nice to finish strong especially.
    Thanks Misty,

I couldn't go any faster, but I might have managed another bit. I was pleased with that.
    seanynova wrote: »
    well done aero, good solid running and to smash the PB from last year! you have 3sec on me now ;) but ill take your last years time for DCM time, if you will give it to me!
    +1 on the daniels plan, im following that..well mostly and it seams to be working very well....i would advice starting at least from phase 2 though to get in all the interval sessions as when they are done, they are done.
    Cheers seany, you can have that time if you share it with Misty.:D
    I'm not in a rush for the plan, likely target is Edinburgh '10, though Barcelona is tempting....
    tisnotover wrote: »
    Great stuff on the PB aero, delighted for ya, recover well !
    Well, the recovery got off to a good start with some liquid carb replenishment - from reading a few logs here myself and Git101 just got out of Ryans in time!
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    Cracking run aero. Keep up the tempos, another 3 months consistent training will have you knocking out mote PBs. Great 10 mile pb also!
    Thanks Gringo,

I had some visions of hitting 10 in 61, or even 60, but that was a bit unrealistic.
    I think I'll start back with the tempo at whetever level this HM time suggests on the VDOT tables, and build up slowly from there. I'm optimistic that there's a bit of room for improvement - back in '08 I spent every race gasping most of the way while the legs felt okay, now it's the legs that need to catch up, so to speak.
    great time aerok , mighty improvement on last year , always gives me a good feel good factor to finish a race strong ?!
    Thanks Seres, yes, that pleased me. You probably remember the last hill from the Great Ireland Run - not the worst hill in the world, but hard to get the rhythm going again after 11.5 miles.

As always, I was a bit disappointed after the race, but then I realised that I had improved 3 min 48 sec from '08 to '09 with major changes in training, a Garmin for pacing and an easier course, and I managed 3 min 7sec from '09 to '10 with just the addition of some faster tempo runs, and while feeling a bit tired.

Roll on next year!

Deleted post

Okay, first post for a long time - I was amazed to be only on page 5...

Some geeky stuff, to prove that tunguska isn't the only one with a scales, though I didn't bring mine to the shop.:)

Brand|model|Weight
    Asics|Kayano|413
    Asics|DS Trainer (new)|309
    Asics|DS Trainer (old)|307
    Asics|Hyperspeed 3|203
    Asics|DS Racer|242
    Asics|Kinsei II|434
    Asics|1140|337
    Adidas|Adizero Tempo|330
    Adidas|Response|379
    Adidas|Adizero Mana|251
    Adidas|Oregon|256
    Brooks|Adrenaline|362
    Brooks Ravenna|318
    Nike|Free|266
    Saucony|Grid|336

I went out to watch the marathon near the 10k mark on Monday - I got so wrapped up in it I stayed much longer than intended and by the time I had my run and shower I was too late to cheer Git101 on as he rounded TCD - 25 mins off his PB. Now that's an example I want to follow...

I would have been envious of the runners given the perfect conditions, however I had a cold which has got bad enough to stop me from running since Mon, so perhaps it was just as well.

Well done to all who achieved their goals, and commiserations to those who didn't - there'll be other days...Great to see so many boardsies in the race and afterwards. Well done Krusty on a great pacing job, I'm sure in time Git101 will forgive you for making him miss his pre-race goal by 16 mins.:D

I'll post a little more later on with some thoughts on training and future plans.

Second post in less than an hour - some kind of record?

I was reminded of something from last year's race while browsing through Woddle's DCM '09 pics, and the post with Annette Kealy's story of last year's race prompted me again to post on the subject.

Like many runners I'm pretty selfish about my running. Yes, I want everyone to have a great day out, but mostly my races have my time goal as the no. 1 priority.

In DCM '09, after a nice steady start, I began passing people from around 10k on. I think I passed over 200, and I decided to try to give everyone I passed a few words of encouragement. I'm not one for chatting in a race, but I found the reaction I was getting seemed to spur me on a bit, so I kept it up until around mile 22 or 23, when I needed every ounce of concentration on the task in hand. When I got to the 25 mile mark I knew I was safe, so from then on the few people I passed got a shout of some sort. As I passed the end of Dawson St, I came up behind a woman all dressed in black who had taken to walking, and not very comfortably at that. I almost stopped dead and I shouted something about sub 3 still being on if she could just run. I saw her briefly after the finish but we were both a bit disoriented, and she didn't seem sure about her time. Anyway, from Woddle's pic I did a little stalking investigation (tm Robinph) and by the vagaries of chip timing she was 1 second quicker than me.

I had always assumed that elites would be purely focused on their own races, however Annete Kealy described trying to encourage people who were in her group, and not wanting to lose anyone along the way.

So, woman-in-black-with-English-accent, one year on I'm glad to know you made it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Will I be seeing you in Edinburgh in May then?

Will I be seeing you in Edinburgh in May then?
    Looks like I've got myself a date - and she's only half my age as of yesterday.:D A/R/T - giving hope to skinny, baldy guys since....

I haven't actually entered yet, but it looks like the best bet as:
    • It gives me time to prepare properly, and still have time to recover for a right bash at DCM 11
    • I know the course now, and the weather is the only thing that might be a concern. That would be the same anywhere, though. Acording to the experts, elite runners use route knowledge to prepare themselves for what's in store. I'm not elite (yet??) but it definitely helps in the race series and DCM
    • It's well organised, with good support and reasonable entry fee
    • Edinburgh is a great city to visit
    Ideally I'd do one in April, but I'm expecting life to be hectic in Jan, so no harm to have a bit longer.

I've really gone back to basics with the training, I'm in a very extended Phase I from Jack Daniels (actually it's so extended I've missed 3 days in a row - that's what I get for standing in the cold looking for RQ) and while not going any faster I'm starting to feel really fit. I'm hoping to make great strides (sorry, couldn't resist) with upping my easy pace, and hoping all the other training paces will magically follow.

Great to see you after the race, and no dodgy stories on boards - must have gone quiet after I left.

Great blog post on DCM btw, though you really make us aul lads suffer - can't we have black on a white background?

i see you've been routing
    Looks like I've got myself a date - and she's only half my age as of yesterday.:D A/R/T - giving hope to skinny, baldy guys since....
    the beauty of the internet is that you dont have to be the bald skinny guy if you dont want , not that there's anything wrong with that :)
    Ideally I'd do one in April, but I'm expecting life to be hectic in Jan, so no harm to have a bit longer.
    you could do the connemarathon , thats in april
    I've really gone back to basics with the training, I'm in a very extended Phase I from Jack Daniels (actually it's so extended I've missed 3 days in a row

how did you manage 3 days without running ?!

I haven't actually entered yet, but it looks like the best bet as:
    • It gives me time to prepare properly, and still have time to recover for a right bash at DCM 11
    • I know the course now, and the weather is the only thing that might be a concern. That would be the same anywhere, though. Acording to the experts, elite runners use route knowledge to prepare themselves for what's in store. I'm not elite (yet??) but it definitely helps in the race series and DCM
    • It's well organised, with good support and reasonable entry fee
    • Edinburgh is a great city to visit

I've really gone back to basics with the training, I'm in a very extended Phase I from Jack Daniels (actually it's so extended I've missed 3 days in a row - that's what I get for standing in the cold looking for RQ) and while not going any faster I'm starting to feel really fit. I'm hoping to make great strides (sorry, couldn't resist) with upping my easy pace, and hoping all the other training paces will magically follow.

Great to see you after the race, and no dodgy stories on boards - must have gone quiet after I left.

Great blog post on DCM btw, though you really make us aul lads suffer - can't we have black on a white background?

I haven't registered yet either. 2011 could have been attempt number 4 at Edinburgh for me, I haven't even run one yet. I'm thinking of making it the goal for 2011. Though as you say, the weather may be an issue, especially for yours truly. I think Barca is a bit too soon for me for what I want out of my next marathon, but I'll see how training goes. There's usually 11 weeks or so between Barca and Edinburgh so if training for Barca isn't going well it'll be easy enough to just translate that training to Edinburgh and just use Barca as an easy sub 4 hour training run.

As you say there is also plenty of time between Edinburgh and Dublin too, 5 in a row next year so it's a definite I'll be doing Dublin. Despite tunguska's wise words on Monday about only running one marathon a year. Come on, as if! :rolleyes:

I too have come down with a cold. I was obviously running too slow on Monday, really felt the cold after the race, thats why I went to shower.

I've loads of stuff I want to add to that blog post now. Same with the Dingle one, I'd love to re-write both. They'd both be about 5 times as long if I did!

White on black looks so much nicer.

Happy Birthday for yesterday. You never said on Monday, I'd have forced (at least) one pint on you if you had.

the beauty of the internet is that you dont have to be the bald skinny guy if you dont want , not that there's anything wrong with that :)
    Probably the only time that word will appear in my log...
    you could do the connemarathon , thats in april
    So, how long have you been hanging around with RQ, Xebec et al? Save yourself before it's too late!:)
    how did you manage 3 days without running ?!
    I reckon it's tougher on the OH than on me. Weather's so nice as well, I reckon it's the park for me tomorrow, if there's any detectable sign of life in the morning.
    I haven't registered yet either. 2011 could have been attempt number 4 at Edinburgh for me, I haven't even run one yet. I'm thinking of making it the goal for 2011. Though as you say, the weather may be an issue, especially for yours truly. I think Barca is a bit too soon for me for what I want out of my next marathon, but I'll see how training goes. There's usually 11 weeks or so between Barca and Edinburgh so if training for Barca isn't going well it'll be easy enough to just translate that training to Edinburgh and just use Barca as an easy sub 4 hour training run.
    You might be lucky with the weather - they've had snow at least once!

You're starting to sound like Krusty with the marathon-as-training approach.
    Despite tunguska's wise words on Monday about only running one marathon a year. Come on, as if! :rolleyes:
    I hope he's not going soft on us - hopefully just the post-race endorphins talking.
    Although, now, come to think of it, I think he actually only runs one marathon race per year, though he's probably knocking out 30 mile training runs twice a week.
    I too have come down with a cold. I was obviously running too slow on Monday, really felt the cold after the race, thats why I went to shower.
    That often happens after a race, regardless of weather conditions. I've spent Saturday afternoons post race all snuugled up at home with loads of layers on, in the middle of summer.
    I've loads of stuff I want to add to that blog post now. Same with the Dingle one, I'd love to re-write both. They'd both be about 5 times as long if I did!
    They're yours, and testament to your heroic efforts. Make them as long as you like, all the more for people to be inspired by.
    White on black looks so much nicer.
    ...and there was me being practical...
    Happy Birthday for yesterday. You never said on Monday, I'd have forced (at least) one pint on you if you had.
    That's why I didn't say, didn't want to say no to you.:)
    Thanks, I only take note of the age now to see how long more I've got to try to get competitive in my age group.....

Brand|model|Weight
    Asics|Kayano|413
    Asics|DS Trainer (new)|309
    Asics|DS Trainer (old)|307
    Asics|Hyperspeed 3|203
    Asics|DS Racer|242
    Asics|Kinsei II|434
    Asics|1140|337
    Adidas|Adizero Tempo|330
    Adidas|Response|379
    Adidas|Adizero Mana|251
    Adidas|Oregon|256
    Brooks|Adrenaline|362
    Brooks Ravenna|318
    Nike|Free|266
    Saucony|Grid|336

whats the reason behind the shoes weight aero?
    i wore the adidas manas for DCM, love the shoe, they were the only lightweight racing shoe i could find with arch support, didnt fancy the mizuno musha....

• Advertisement

seanynova wrote: »
    whats the reason behind the shoes weight aero?
    i wore the adidas manas for DCM, love the shoe, they were the only lightweight racing shoe i could find with arch support, didnt fancy the mizuno musha....
    Ah, I was wondering if anyone would ask.

I suppose, if I had a race coming up, and I had two models of shoe that I liked equally, then I'd chose the lighter ones.

There have been a few posts here and there about shoe weights, and when I acquired a digital scales in order to make my own muesli bars and thus keep up with Nigella_Clown in the kitchen, at least, I decided out of curiosity to weigh all the shoes I could get my hands on - I have a lot of them round the house.

I hoped the info might be helpful to people thinking of ordering shoes online if weight was a factor in the purchase.

I like the Manas as well - I decided to change from Asics to Adidas as they are about the narrowest shoe I can find, and fit is my #1 priority. In the lead-up to DCM '08 I had heard someone say that shoes could make 30 secs difference in a 10k - I was sceptical, but then I started to think "30,000 steps in a marathon, save 50 gr on every step - it has to make a difference". I ran in the DS Racer and subsequently blamed them for the sore legs and consequent slow time, but the truth was I hadn't trained properly. The next marathon, DCM '09 was run in DS Trainers, and I used the Hyperspeeds for Edinburgh.

The Hyperspeeds are probably my favourite shoe to run in, though I would prefer a snugger fit. Also, they have little or no support, so I keep them for races and the odd fast session.

Older readers may have noticed the Adidas Oregon listed above - they wouldn't have been regarded as particularly lightweight back in the mid 80's when I bought them in Arnott's sale, but they're as light as most shoes now. Unfortunately I threw out my old Brooks Chariots that I wore for DCM '03, and I have fond memories of as supremely comfortable. I'd be curious as to what they weigh compared to Adrenaline, for example.

Ah, I was wondering if anyone would ask.

I suppose, if I had a race coming up, and I had two models of shoe that I liked equally, then I'd chose the lighter ones.

There have been a few posts here and there about shoe weights, and when I acquired a digital scales in order to make my own muesli bars and thus keep up with Nigella_Clown in the kitchen, at least, I decided out of curiosity to weigh all the shoes I could get my hands on - I have a lot of them round the house.

I hoped the info might be helpful to people thinking of ordering shoes online if weight was a factor in the purchase.

I like the Manas as well - I decided to change from Asics to Adidas as they are about the narrowest shoe I can find, and fit is my #1 priority. In the lead-up to DCM '08 I had heard someone say that shoes could make 30 secs difference in a 10k - I was sceptical, but then I started to think "30,000 steps in a marathon, save 50 gr on every step - it has to make a difference". I ran in the DS Racer and subsequently blamed them for the sore legs and consequent slow time, but the truth was I hadn't trained properly. The next marathon, DCM '09 was run in DS Trainers, and I used the Hyperspeeds for Edinburgh.

The Hyperspeeds are probably my favourite shoe to run in, though I would prefer a snugger fit. Also, they have little or no support, so I keep them for races and the odd fast session.

Older readers may have noticed the Adidas Oregon listed above - they wouldn't have been regarded as particularly lightweight back in the mid 80's when I bought them in Arnott's sale, but they're as light as most shoes now. Unfortunately I threw out my old Brooks Chariots that I wore for DCM '03, and I have fond memories of as supremely comfortable. I'd be curious as to what they weigh compared to Adrenaline, for example.

its helpful info, thanks for posting it!

i bought the mana's online, never wore them before then....lol but i had treid on a few pairs of adios/tempo/boston etc so i figured they would fit similar....

my feet were sore in the marathon though, and had a few blisters afterwards, maybe they are too narrow for me....ill wear them some more though, give them some time and see like...

but thinking of getting the boston or wave rider as my next training shoe? going to ditch support and see how i react....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Happy birthday fella (oh and Wave Rider all the way!).

Saw ya in the park at 1:30ish today. Some good midfoot striking there. Love the blue shoes. :pac:

Saw ya in the park at 1:30ish today. Some good midfoot striking there. Love the blue shoes. :pac:
    Now that's just stalkerish and weird, 'cos I was just thinking of you as I was running "mm, wonder if RQ got those Kinvaras yet..." Strangely enough, another stalkerfemale runner commented on the shoes as well, maybe I'll have to edit my table above and add a column for colour! They were my Adizero Manas, and they were more black than blue when I got home.

On a more serious note, I think I am making a little progress on the mid-foot strike, and it's nice to have it confirmed by such an expert as yourself. I'm running slower, but it's not taking much out of me aerobically, so I think it's just a case of the muscles getting used to it. I've been feeling a lot of discomfort in the knees, not injury discomfort, more like I'm-not-accustomed-to-this-type-of-movement discomfort. Strangely enough, this is much more obvious in the right knee, and my right foot had the more severe heelstrike as revealed by the video. I reckon it's worth sticking with this, apart from the knees everything else feels much better after running than the way I was feeling 2 months ago, so that's also progress.

And now you've made me post at length, I really should go away and gather my thoughts before returning with some sensible thoughts on some goals and a training program.

I was very aprehensive about this. When I got the PM invitation it seemed like a great idea, but as the weeks passed with me seemingly having gone into winter hibernation mode, I was wishing I'd said "sorry, I'm getting my hair done on that Saturday":D. I've been trying to increase the mileage, I'm up to around 60pw now, but most of them are 8-8:15 range. The Adidas half was the last time I was under 6 mins for a mile...

Roll on the day itself. I had a nice easy 4 miles in the morning, then turned up at the venue to find the majority of the field engaged in a hectic game of indoor soccer. I would have given Trap a call with a few names, but then I remembered he's not too fond of lads who can string a few passes together....

Got the shoes on and had a little warm-up, a last minute pitstop and then a nice easy lap led by TheRoadRunner. I was even more apprehensive due to the small field - no hiding place there and any attempt at a shortcut across the field would be captured for posterity on film by Woddle. I was wishing for some camoflage gear...

A whistle blew and we were off. Brianderunner and Kennyb3 led us out, and I was pleasantly surprised to be not too far behind, and not too displeased when I took my first (and only) glance at the Garmin to see we were just on 6min/mile. Nothing ventured nothing won, I thought, so I decided to up the pace a little. I passed the two lads and for the next half a lap, despite huffing and puffing myself, I could hear them chatting away. I decided to speed up in the hope I'd get far enough away not to hear them, or they'd speed up and not be able to talk anymore. (I hate lads talking in races - it always makes me feel like I'm suffering more than I am when they sound so relaxed:)).

I've been reading Jack Daniels, I think it's his book that uses the phrase "comfortably uncomfortable" for tempo runs. That's how it felt up until halfway or so, after which it began to feel "uncomfortably uncomfortable".*

I felt I was slowing a bit from then on, or at least I was putting in a lot more effort. The course was lovely, I didn't get lost, and apart from one little breezy corner - I think the tall buildings were funnelling whatever slight wind was about - it was well sheltered. All was silence from behind too as I tried to maintain the pace to the finish.

Garmin mile splits were 5:53, 5:48, 5:50 and 5:53 for the last .11. My time of 18:10 was 17 secs off my PB but I think that was set on a short course, and I was definitely in better shape then, so all in all happy with that.

Woddle got some smashing pics as always, the food and drink afterwards was superb, Menoscemo showed he's just as good with a stopwatch as with an indoor football, and the company was very pleasant. Best of all, I couldn't wait to get out for a run this morning. 16 lovely miles, and no ill effects from yesterday. Maybe it'll hit tomorrow...

*tm aero

I definitely see the soles of your shoes in those pics from the time trial. Not impressed! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Aero and congrats on the win, hopefully we'll have a few more bodies next time to challenge you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Great run yesterday Aero and congrats on the win.

I reckoned I had you on the day.

Started well, tactics were going according to plan, I could see you were worried with me on your shoulder and I was just about to make my move when the the race entered the critical phase and you left me for dead..................40metres from the start line.

Next time.........

• Advertisement

Sorry all, I tried to post this last night but boards wasn't cooperating with my PC.
    I definitely see the soles of your shoes in those pics from the time trial. Not impressed! :)
    Does that mean our Edinburgh date is all off?:(

Good evening all, my name is aero and I'm a heel striker. Can anyone recommend a good 12-step program (it would probably take more than 12 steps...groan:))

In my defence, Woddle was actually lying on the ground while I ran over him once per lap. And that was 2 min/mile faster than my current training pace......

On a serious note, I think this is the single biggest obstacle to me making significant progress as a runner. If I want to do the miles I need to do to achieve the targets I have in mind, then something has got to change. Easier said than done though...
    Woddle wrote: »
    Well done Aero and congrats on the win, hopefully we'll have a few more bodies next time to challenge you :D
    Hopefully not too many...

Thanks for the pics! Wish I could run as well as you can snap!
    RAL3 wrote: »
    Great run yesterday Aero and congrats on the win.

I reckoned I had you on the day.

Started well, tactics were going according to plan, I could see you were worried with me on your shoulder and I was just about to make my move when the the race entered the critical phase and you left me for dead..................40metres from the start line.

Next time.........

Well, I was going to take it handy, but then I realised we were being led by two Brians - not a situation that should be tolerated for one second longer than necessary.:D

Advertisement