Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alive! Newspaper

Options
  • 10-06-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I don't know how many of you get this through your door, but basically its a bunch of homophobic, racist bigots who are somehow allowed to publish a newspaper. As a lesbian and an atheist, I find this newspaper highly offensive and I don't want it in my house. I've rang them and told them to stop, but I keep getting the paper. How are they allowed to say what they say and how do I get rid of them?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Never even heard of this to be honest and by the sounds of it I'm happy I've never got such ****e through my door,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

They're a catholic paper, you see them at churches sometimes. This is their website but you don't really see the worst of it there
    http://www.alive.ie/index.php

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They're a catholic paper, you see them at churches sometimes. This is their website but you don't really see the worst of it there
    http://www.alive.ie/index.php

Main Headline gives me an idea of the ****e they have in the rag
    Women settle for less in marriage, thanks to 'pill'

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We get it too, I am unimpressed by it but along with Awake and a lot of other stuff that comes through the door it goes straight into the recycling bin.

I also tried to stop the Viking catalogue that comes about twice a week, I supposedly stopped it but they still manage to sneek an odd one in, not to mention a sudden increase in emails. That one annoys me more because you have to take off the plastic cover and tear off the address before dumping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Can't you put a sign in the window saying "No magazines, flyers, etc, anyone who deposits unwanted rubbish here will be reported for fly tipping." Or something to that effect. Aren't there any laws to stop people throwing unwanted crap into your letterbox? I personally am fed up with the millions of charity bags I get and no-one ever comes to pick them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

to say it's a Catholic newspaper is pushing the truth too. it may be written by a Catholic (based in tallaght as far as i know) but the Church do try and distance themselves from them. it's one guy's small group and their opinions. the distributors are usually people who try to get rid of them so if you live in an apartment block with all the letterboxes beside each other it's a handy way to get rid of them all!
    i tried reading it once after one of my buddies had it. i couldn't believe that he would take it that seriously. even my mother who goes to mass every day when she can knows it's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

i have used a tatic that has worked for me on a few occasions.

i used to get holier than thou rubbish and kleenez stuff through the door.
    what i started to do was take it from the letter box and place it just outside my door straight away.
    thus when they came back to put another one in they noticed their tat sitting outside wet soggy and sun burnt.
    if they did put another one through i just put that ontop of the older one.
    eventually they got the message.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I always thought that was a very sharp satirical publication.

Perhaps I think too much of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Started a thread about it in the Christianity forum a while back.

An absolute monstrosity of a 'paper'. It's just horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

We bought a little sign from our local centra that says "No junk Mail Please" and put it on the letterbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But then you create a conundrum for the Awake deliverers, do they accept that their publication is junk mail, or do they consider that it is not included in the ban :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Send it back, inside a copy of something like 'Real Housewives' or 'Barely Legal' in clear packaging to:

Fr Brian McKevitt OP
    Alive!,
    St Mary's Priory,
    Tallaght Village,
    Dublin 24,
    Ireland

See how he likes getting offensive material through his letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

May I suggest you purchase one of these. :p

briquette_8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

We get this rag too.

It goes straight into the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Apollo123

OP this mightn't work as technically you're not on a mailing list but it might scare them off. My advice would be to ring up their head office. Get the name of the person who answers the phone. Tell them that as per Section 4 of the Data Protection Act 1988 you wish to be removed from their mailing list or else you will file a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner. If they say you won't get the paper again, say "So, can you [name] confirm that I have been removed from your mailing list?". It's worth a shot :).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Reseal, and mark "return to sender" on it, and put it into the mailbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

I personally am fed up with the millions of charity bags I get and no-one ever comes to pick them up.

I used to leave these outside under the doormat, but no one comes back for them.

On the upside, I haven't had to buy bin liners for about 4 or 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

They make excellent lining for a hamster cage. In winter, they also help light a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

All admirable suggestions on how to recycle the paper :)
    My fear is that my daughter will read it. She's only young and loves running to collect the post when it comes in the door.
    I've had to pull it out of her hands and fire it in the bin a few times before she could read the offensive sh*te that's in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Benincasa

I don't know how many of you get this through your door, but basically its a bunch of homophobic, racist bigots who are somehow allowed to publish a newspaper. As a lesbian and an atheist, I find this newspaper highly offensive and I don't want it in my house. I've rang them and told them to stop, but I keep getting the paper. How are they allowed to say what they say and how do I get rid of them?

They are allowed to say what they say because, thankfully, our laws still allow free speech.

Benincasa wrote: »
    They are allowed to say what they say because, thankfully, our laws still allow free speech.

So are you actually saying it's accetable to have this rag delivered into the mailbox? For children to read?
    It's a bigoted, incendiary and mis-informed "publication" at best.
    At worst, it's a propaganda rag.
    Seriously, you think this is a respectable publication, with a headline like this?
    Women settle for less in marriage, thanks to 'pill' "
    or
    "Experts Say Kids Need Tough Love"
    By all means have it in the church porch for those who want to read it, but don't shove it unwarranted through peoples letterboxes and then ignore those who contact them and ask for it to stop being delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Straight in the bin with it

Sometimes the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I use it to line the floor of the hen house and put it under the perch so the hens can crap on it during the night. That's all it's fit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

So are you actually saying it's accetable to have this rag delivered into the mailbox? For children to read?

Just looking through the issues on their website (slow day in work). I see a full-page anti-abortion ad with a picture of an aborted foetus.

I see many anti-gay-marriage (and in my eyes homophobic) articles disguised as articles defending traditional marriage. Homosexuality is “contrary to God’s plan for sexual love”

I see an article about child sex abuse in the church saying "Why not ask also how social workers, health boards, gardai, etc dealt with family cases of abuse; how sporting groups, youth groups, even politicians dealt with abuse in the community?" Do they not see the difference between these people and priests who are meant to be moral guardians in touch with God?

I see a ridiculous headline ‘No atheist can explain a child’s smile." and lots of stuff about the "dangers of casual sex". Not to mention their weird anti-science take on global warming, evolution, GM foods, cohabitation.

Surely this counts as hate-mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

eightyfish wrote: »
    Just looking through the issues on their website (slow day in work). I see a full-page anti-abortion ad with a picture of an aborted foetus.

I see many anti-gay-marriage (and in my eyes homophobic) articles disguised as articles defending traditional marriage. Homosexuality is “contrary to God’s plan for sexual love”

I see an article about child sex abuse in the church saying "Why not ask also how social workers, health boards, gardai, etc dealt with family cases of abuse; how sporting groups, youth groups, even politicians dealt with abuse in the community?" Do they not see the difference between these people and priests who are meant to be moral guardians in touch with God?

I see a ridiculous headline ‘No atheist can explain a child’s smile." and lots of stuff about the "dangers of casual sex". Not to mention their weird anti-science take on global warming, evolution, GM foods, cohabitation.

Surely this counts as hate-mail?

I agree with you and see it as hate-mail.

I'd even go as far as questioning why this sort of hate mail is allowed when you take the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Benincasa

I didn't defend putting it in letterboxes nor did I defend everything in it or say that I even agreed with any of the content.

What I do resolutely defend is its right to exist.

Seriously, read the posts on these pages. Talk about tolerance! The comments on display here wouldn't be out of place in Nazi Germany or in the Stalinist era.

Are people here seriously advocating censorship of this paper?

I didn't defend putting it in letterboxes nor did I defend everything in it or say that I even agreed with any of the content.

Seriously, read the posts on these pages. Talk about tolerance! The comments on display here wouldn't be out of place in Nazi Germany or in the Stalinist era.

Nazi Germany? Stalin? Seriously? :rolleyes:

If you read my post again you'll see I said this:
    By all means have it in the church porch for those who want to read it, but don't shove it unwarranted through peoples letterboxes and then ignore those who contact them and ask for it to stop being delivered.
    That isn't advocating censorship. That's asking for it to be available to its target market in a suitable location. There's a difference between that and unwarranted junk mailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

No. They have a right to exist, of course. They DON'T have a right to post pictures of aborted foetuses and homophobic propaganda through my letterbox!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Isn't this going WAY off topic ?

Shouldn't it be about how to stop the junk mail coming through the door rather than the censorship/racism/homophobic issues surrounding the content ?

I get junk every so often (addressed to the previous tenant of my house) but it just goes straight in the bin, the content wouldn't even bother me tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement