Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alive! Newspaper

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Problem is this is junk mail and while some people use it for bedding for chickens etc which is handy its still junk and those that have to put it in the bin have to pay to get rid of it. This is wrong considering they didn't want this ****e to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Benincasa

Nazi Germany? Stalin? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Yes, Nazi Germany and Stalinism. For sure.

My original comment relates to those who question the right of this newspaper to exist.

I never said that I defended the content, tone or method of distribution. Certainly there are those who have posted here who have only complained about receiving it in their door. I have some sympathy for them and can accept their opinion. My comments do not relate to those who hold this position.

However, there are other posters who have basically said that this paper should not be allowed to be printed and that it should be banned as hate speech or whatever.

I completely reject this proposition. And Nazism and Stalinism are very relevant: one of the forms of control that these regimes used was to ban newspapers which disagreed with their philosophy.

Such censorship doesn't become any more acceptable just because those who advocate it think that they are "liberal".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Benincasa wrote: »
    Yes, Nazi Germany and Stalinism. For sure.

You know about Godwin's Law?
    However, there are other posters who have basically said that this paper should not be allowed to be printed and that it should be banned as hate speech or whatever.

I completely reject this proposition. And Nazism and Stalinism are very relevant: one of the forms of control that these regimes used was to ban newspapers which disagreed with their philosophy.

You're correct in terms of free speech. I said it's like hate-mail. The next poster was "questioning why this sort of hate mail is allowed". Nobody said it shouldn't exist, just that it shouldn't be posted to family homes.

The comparison to Nazism is overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Stick them in an envelope with no stamp addressed as above. That way they have to pay to get their rag delivered back to them. If enough people were to do it you might eventually hit them hard enough in the pocket to force them to stop such wanton disregard for what they stick in your letter box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

While im not advocating violence in any way, I would certainly have some stern words for the people who put anything like this through my letterbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Benincasa

eightyfish wrote: »
    YNobody said it shouldn't exist, just that it shouldn't be posted to family homes.

The comparison to Nazism is overkill.

"How are they allowed to say what they say", the first post by Crayolastereo

AND

"I'd even go as far as questioning why this sort of hate mail is allowed when you take the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act into account" by Deisemum.

Both posts, to me, seem to me to suggest that the publication shouldn't be allowed.

If people were only saying that they didn't want it in their homes I'd agree that the Nazi reference would be overblown. But not when it comes to saying that such a publication shouldn't be allowed in the first place.

It is a simple historical fact that the nazis shut down newspapers with which the philosophically disagreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Fair enough.
    AND

"I'd even go as far as questioning why this sort of hate mail is allowed when you take the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act into account" by Deisemum.

See my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

AND

Both posts, to me, seem to me to suggest that the publication shouldn't be allowed.

If people were only saying that they didn't want it in their homes I'd agree that the Nazi reference would be overblown. But not when it comes to saying that such a publication shouldn't be allowed in the first place.

It is a simple historical fact that the nazis shut down newspapers with which the philosophically disagreed.

Everyone can say whatever they want to say, offensive or not, as long as they can back it up. If there was proof the sky would fall if gay marriage or abortion were allowed they can print that rag till the cows come home. However they don't have any arguments, they just hate people who aren't like them. If they said what they say about black people as they do about gay people would you're immediate response be the same? No it wouldn't. I can't go round printing newspapers about how black people are going to eat our children and destroy society, but its ok for them to do it about me just because its their philosophy/religion? Really?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So you think its ok for the publiscation to be "pushed" on people?

So does that mean the Irish times should run front page storys that black people are not as smart as white people...after all they can back it up with research (yes some people have research to say this)

No of course they wouldn't run such a front page story as they'd be crazy public backlash and backlash from numerous groups and rightly so, so why do you believe its acceptable for Alive to push this rubbish through people's letter boxes?

Do you also think that in the interest of "freedom" anybody who wants to use the word ****** to refer to black people should be allowed? After all banning the use of the word would be like the Nazi censorship by your logic

I understand your defense but in the case of Alive it just doesn't hold up

I find it amusing that Alive can preach that Church interference in catholic and non-catholic people's lives is ok yet government "interference" is the worst thing in the world?
    All should oppose this awful Bill
    THE Civil Partnership Bill is
    a massive threat to our freedom.
    Based on a distorted
    notion of equality, it opens
    the way to tyrannical interference
    by the state in our lives......

Last time I checked we voted for a system of government and have a say in what it does and how it acts, the Catholic church however the normal joe has no input on any level about its decisions.

We've seen that the church doesn't give a monkeys about the average joe's view, this became clear with the Murphy & Ryan reports and people wanting bishops to resign.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You think Alive is bad lads, we get the cork news shoved through the door, and thats got Neil Prendeville's smarmy face on it. Now THAT should be banned......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

whiterebel wrote: »
    You think Alive is bad lads, we get the cork news shoved through the door, and thats got Neil Prendeville's smarmy face on it. Now THAT should be banned......:D

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Oryx wrote: »
    Send it back, inside a copy of something like 'Real Housewives' or 'Barely Legal' in clear packaging to:

Fr Brian McKevitt OP
    Alive!,
    St Mary's Priory,
    Tallaght Village,
    Dublin 24,
    Ireland

See how he likes getting offensive material through his letterbox.

:D:D:D

only one problem....maybe he won't find it offensive and you'll save him a trip to get it for himself! worth the risk though. What would be more offensive to him would probably be a legitimate Gay magazine. Or a copy of cosmo with its latest sexual tips to make him last longer.....I'd say that would really irk him....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Cabaal wrote: »
    I find it amusing that Alive can preach that Church interference in catholic and non-catholic people's lives is ok yet government "interference" is the worst thing in the world?.

Cabaal, there is no point in trying to rationalise anything that these fundamentalists say or write. They are all unreasonable looneys.

Their views and tenets belong to another century, much like the Taliban.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm going to close this thread as I am not comfortable discussing religious issues in this forum

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement