Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free to air satellite tv

Options
  • 10-06-2010 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

just wondering if anybody in the athenry area has got this and if the reception is good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If your looking for an alternative to sky the internet is becoming a real alternative and I'm assuming your all ready paying for it. There are more and more legal media channels coming online every day. You can get HD content and don't have to bother with tv schedules at all.

If you have a newish computer it more than likely already has a HDMI port that can plug into any HD flat screen tele. I haven't had a tv for around 2 years now and don't miss it in the slightest I even find it annoying when at friends houses. It's fairly add free at the moment, it's going that way but for now it's the best way to watch TV shows that there is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Freesat will be good everywhere. It is a satellite signal so not affected by location.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

my free to aire satellite is perfect and i live 7 miles from athenry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

thanks for all the replies! what channels are available on free to air,eg can you get sky on it and what about rte,bbc,itv etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

You would be better off posting your query in the Satellite forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Freesat is easily available with a standard box and a dish, RTE is not available on Freesat though as it is a UK-based service. It is possible to set up a DTT aerial to receive a good quality RTE service if you buy a sat/terrestrial combo box.

Do a bit of searching, loads of info in the Cable and Digital TV forums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

ScumLord wrote: »
    If your looking for an alternative to sky the internet is becoming a real alternative and I'm assuming your all ready paying for it. There are more and more legal media channels coming online every day. You can get HD content and don't have to bother with tv schedules at all.

If you have a newish computer it more than likely already has a HDMI port that can plug into any HD flat screen tele. I haven't had a tv for around 2 years now and don't miss it in the slightest I even find it annoying when at friends houses. It's fairly add free at the moment, it's going that way but for now it's the best way to watch TV shows that there is at the moment.

Internet TV is not an alternative to Sky, Freesat / FTA satellite, or Terrestrial in the slightest.

The broadband infrastructure in Ireland is ****e, with the vast majority of people with connections that would not be suitable for steaming high bit-rate content, and that's the SD content, never mind HD.

And what are these "HD" channels anyway, are the 1080p, 720p, less? Can I watch the World Cup for free online in high definition like I can for free on BBCHD and ITV1HD?

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Internet TV is not an alternative to Sky, Freesat / FTA satellite, or Terrestrial in the slightest.

The broadband infrastructure in Ireland is ****e, with the vast majority of people with connections that would not be suitable for steaming high bit-rate content, and that's the SD content, never mind HD.

And what are these "HD" channels anyway, are the 1080p, 720p, less? Can I watch the World Cup for free online in high definition like I can for free on BBCHD and ITV1HD?
    "is becoming" if you like your live sports it's not the best but then every pub in the country is going to be showing your soccer matches, you can get 720p I've never bothered with anything higher due to the size of the files eating into my monthly limit and standard is fine IMO. While the internet in Ireland isn't up to par with the rest of Europe you could watch decent quality streams on a 1mb connection although you should really have 3mb, bar a monthly download limit and constant up time that's enough.

I'm using the internet as an alternative, I only watch what I want to watch which does mean there's little on but I did have sky all I'd have on offer is repeats and I just can't sit through the same thing twice so I don't see how I'd be missing out. Irregardless I have a limited sky service through windows media centre which is built into windows 7. I don't pay for it I was just added onto a friends account one time, I don't use the service though, everything on it is tripe or days behind everyone else.

For what you get sky just isn't worth the money.

For what you get sky just isn't worth the money.

True, but for the cost of Free, you do get "value for money" with Freesat or FTA.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    True, but for the cost of Free, you do get "value for money" with Freesat or FTA.
    Still need a tv license which you don't with internet tv. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

if you're watching it through a tv you do

taken from citizens information
    If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it. Failure to produce evidence of a television licence to an inspector can result in a court appearance and on conviction, you can receive a substantial fine. People who have been fined and who have breached court orders directing them to pay their television licence can be imprisoned.
    You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal.

• Advertisement

You need a computer and need to pay for the internet, and in all probability upgrade your connection speed and cap by paying more.

Also, a set-top box will use much less electricity than a computer uses, which adds up over time with the cost per kwh ever increasing.

Not to mention the wheezing of the computer when you are trying to watch something.

if you're watching it through a tv you do

Ah yes, I missed that he said above about plugging the computer into the TV, good spot.

Advertisement