Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper 2?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

I loved the paper, I kinda bad about that cos so many didn't but...

I did the second Lear question, I'd looked at something similar in the morning so I really couldn't believe it, got about 4 and a half pages. Then the 2nd LG, got 5 pages out of that. Yeats, 5 and 3/4 pages, and unseen 1 page. Finished at 5 o'clock, don't ask me how. I was happy.
    SO tired now though. Blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

I feel a wee bit guilty. Did 4 1/2 for single text, 4 for comparitive and only 2 for Yeats :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

dannydfc wrote: »
    iT'S ONLY 1 EXAM.
    grow up.

A grown up person would know better than to have a go at someone stressed coming out of an exam.

Give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

fufureida wrote: »
    Yeah, the one exam I wanted an A in. Might be a small issue to you but it's a big one for me. So get lost.
    I'd tell your dad to F uck off right now. That's the last thing you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

dyeti wrote: »
    I feel a wee bit guilty. Did 4 1/2 for single text, 4 for comparitive and only 2 for Yeats :(
    Quality not quantity. Don't worry fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,797 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

dyeti wrote: »

Single text is 60 marks...Comparative is 70 marks..Poetry is 50 marks, so you should be perfectly fine with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

theowen wrote: »
    I'd tell your dad to F uck off right now. That's the last thing you need.
    Lol! While I agree with the "last bit you need" bit, I'm not sure telling him to FO will help anything! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Of the 5 poets we studied, 4 of them came up:D
    I did Eliot :p

We did the lear (a) and (B) questions about 3 weeks ago

Did (B)

and the gv+v was alright i guess.

Overall I love my english teacher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

At least for those who just did Boland, she might come up next year when you're repeating.

myself included

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I ran out of time on the unseen poem, only wrote like two lines for the second part of the question, so that's ten marks gone straight off. Oh well it's over now! No more English! w00t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 XCiXCol

Very happy BUT....
    Lit gen 70 m....."you may refer to key moments"
    MAY????? i didnt solely focus on them
    will i be penalised???
    Somewhat ambiguous
    anyone else get caught by that???

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

I am happy, I said before that I would bet the house on yeats coming up and wata y'know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I did 20 pages and a paragraphy in total and finished with ten minutes to spare :) I was happy with all of it except gutted for everyone who relied on Boland, really am - kinda scary how unpredictable that was, I know it was 50/50 but still! Fookin' NAILED that comparative as well and thank jesus for Yeats! Not the worst paper anyway!
    Anyone else think the unseen poetry was absoloute crap though! For a poem that is, not in terms of difficulty!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Jaysus lads why is Boland even on the bleedin' course if they never feckin ask on her?! Stupid wagon, that's 2 leaving certs she's been my downfall, thank God I went over Rich too, think I managed a decent essay on her.

Comparative was lovely, for once the twist on the question actually helped my essay :)

King Lear, meh, learnig Shakespeare on your own ain't easy, just hope my answer made some sorta sense!

P.S. Told y'all this wouldn't be *the year* with regards female poets ;)

Hope nobody's too down, onwards and upwards, that's the worst of it over, seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

i raped countess markovich name so hard in that exam.... i took up a line lol
    ( for yeats q)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭paul08

did that exact kavanagh essay a month ago nearly pissed myself when i saw the paper.. thought the gv and v question was pretty tricky tbh and did anyone else find themselves talkin way more about the evil in king lear than the good for part a?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kiwi205

I was hoping Longley came up but i had learned Patrick Kavanagh and Adrienne Rich so i answered on Rich :) The GV+V was a bit different cos you had to refer to characters but it was good, and the King Lear I actually liked! I said Edmund was like an onion. He has many layers....I know I stole it from shrek!! :rolleyes: But was a pretty good paper, didn't mind the unseen poem but I didn't feel bothered to write a lot about it cos I couldn't really think of much to say about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

There won't be murder. Or if there is, there shouldn't be.

It is true - it might be excessive (actually, it would be excessive) to learn all of the prescribed poets. However. You should never rely on just one poet. The SEC has complete discretion as to what poets appear on the paper. It is not obliged to cater for a widely held belief that something should come up.

While harsh, the decision to put Rich on Paper II might signal the intent of the SEC to move from 90% predictability to a policy of hamstringing those who rely on guesswork rather than hard work, like it has done in recent years with History.

oh no i wasnt saying about the paper! i meant with the teacher loads of people i know the teachers only focused on boland!
    it is thick to rely on one poet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

Lear - I did the first one. Wrote just over 3 pages of crap. Didn't study it at all though

Only studied LG but didn't like the question so did the GVV 2 parter instead. 4 pages. Wasn't very good.

Wrote 4 pages on Eliot, the only poet I studied. Happy with that.

Overall I'm fairly happy. Sooo glad it's over.

Oh yeah my unseen answer was a bit crap too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hevsuit

Soo happy! That could not have gone better! I did

G V+V-10 pages:rolleyes: i don't know how! The pages in the exam booklet are smaller than normal I think!
    Lear- the one about villanious characters. I wrote about Regan and Goneril for the villanious characters and Cordelia for the virteous (sp) character. 5 and a half pages
    Kavanagh- OMG I was soooo happy ! The essay i had prepared was pretty much based on the question! Again wrote way to much ! 8 pages!:eek:

I hope I got at least a B1 over all. You can never tell with English though!:(
    You know I hate people who are like 'omg, i wrote a thesis on a poet'.
    It makes much more sense to mention roughly how many words you can fit on a line also.
    Me?, I wrote 2+1/2 pages on Lear, with an average words per line number of 15. Do the math...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

It was a nice paper, but I didn't have the time to do it justice.
    I don't even care anymore, I'm just so happy it's OVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

Soo happy! That could not have gone better! I did

G V+V-10 pages:rolleyes: i don't know how! The pages in the exam booklet are smaller than normal I think!
    Lear- the one about villanious characters. I wrote about Regan and Goneril for the villanious characters and Cordelia for the virteous (sp) character. 5 and a half pages
    Kavanagh- OMG I was soooo happy ! The essay i had prepared was pretty much based on the question! Again wrote way to much ! 8 pages!:eek:

I hope I got at least a B1 over all. You can never tell with English though!:(

please comfort me by saying you have really big writing?

I can't write fast for my life, so much to say on Kavanagh but only got in two and a half hastily writeen pages :mad::mad::mad:

hevsuit wrote: »
    You know I hate people who are like 'omg, i wrote a thesis on a poet'.
    It makes much more sense to mention roughly how many words you can fit on a line also.
    Me?, I wrote 2+1/2 pages on Lear, with an average words per line number of 15. Do the math...;)

That's kind of a lame reason to hate someone IMO. But anyway.. yeah I have big enough writing , around 7-8 words per line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

i have massive writing, 4 to 5 words on average to a line, filled a booklet and another 4 page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

!?! wrote: »
    please comfort me by saying you have really big writing?

I can't write fast for my life, so much to say on Kavanagh but only got in two and a half hastily writeen pages :mad::mad::mad:

Quality, not quantity is the only comment I will make on this "I wrote 312 pages on each question" business.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hevsuit

That's kind of a lame reason to hate someone IMO. But anyway.. yeah I have big enough writing , around 7-8 words per line.
    Sry if you took it personally, but ive been surrounded by over 230 fellow 6th years saying what you've said, and it pissed me off. Its like people have the need to boast about what they wrote cos they feel insecure about what they wrote themselves. This can put the weaker students who havent written alot into a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I thought of something that would cheer everyone up!
    Mr 'I only got a B' on youtube! Bet this will be Hilarious!

hevsuit wrote: »
    Sry if you took it personally, but ive been surrounded by over 230 fellow 6th years saying what you've said, and it pissed me off. Its like people have the need to boast about what they wrote cos they feel insecure about what they wrote themselves. This can put the weaker students who havent written alot into a state.

No, I was pretty confident about what i wrote.. Eh , I should probably just delete the post! I don't want to make people feel bad, honestly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Very upset and annoyed about how it went! no boland or longley ! wrote 1 page on yeats didnt no much about him at all!
    the lear question was a complete pain and the general V and V question was just ok ! all in all barely passed i'd say :mad:

Advertisement