Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

I picked the 30 mark and 4 mark on V&V, cause I just repeated my key moments answer from the mocks that got 65 out of 70. Ohhh yeah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

theowen wrote: »
    Surprised there's been no threads complaining about the comparative questions. They were wayy to specific. My V and V headings were silence, the truth and the redemptive power of love. How the hell d'ya fit "did your character succeed..." under them:confused::P

I'm lucky I was good at LG!

I'll complain about it :cool: I knew Literary Genre off by heart but couldn't adapt what I knew to the questions and ended up making the whole thing up and rewriting the question in tons in different ways. Definitely wasn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

I did:

King Lear: Villians are more fascinating than the good guys.
    Basicly I wrote about how awesome G+R and Edmund are.
    I didn't really write anything about the good characters...which was probably a bad idea.

Literary Genre:
    I did the two part question.
    Compared 3 headings for each.

Poetry: Rich
    Went through 5 poems...talk alot about power.

Think it went okay overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 The Cool One

I couldn't be happier with the paper. The questions were as fair as fair can be and for those who were relying on Boland and/or Longley, tough. That's what you get for not studying a minimum of four poets, NO poet is guaranteed to come regardless of what people say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Kinda pissed off.

My study guide :(

imag0002k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

JoeyBuddy wrote: »
    I did:
    Literary Genre:
    I did the two part question.
    Compared 3 headings for each.
    QUOTE]

Me too! What headings did you do? I did humour, suspense and memorable characters... I'm starting to have second thoughts on it though cos the paper went too well for me, something has to go wrong and I suspect that's it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I decided to give my poetry book a poetic end.......:D

4688290885_fb8798520b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I'll complain about it :cool: I knew Literary Genre off by heart but couldn't adapt what I knew to the questions and ended up making the whole thing up and rewriting the question in tons in different ways. Definitely wasn't good.

exactly my scenario, then i wrote a lovely little conclusion about everything that was wrong with the question.. probably shouldn't have done that, but i was well annoyed! On the other hand i was insanely happy to see the Rich question, and both Lear questions were grand, thank god its over though!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I did the villainy question for Lear,
    for which i just went on about Edmund Goneril Regan etc. fairly simple
    GVV the first question,
    which I thought was a bit awkward and hopefully all my answer is relevant not just the times i made specific reference to the question
    and of course I did Yeats as did half the country I think!
    its was a slightly odd question but I made the most out of it anyway.
    hope it went well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭luv-eirexx

I am so disappointed with paper 2. Completely ran out of time which meant that i only got 1 and a half pages done on Yeats for poetry. I didnt get the unseen done at all:( And poetry would have been my best answer!!!
    Basically I have lost 70 marks out of 200 (35%) straight away.

It is the most depressing feeling ever to have spent 1 full year (no lie, our teacher LOVED poetry!) doing a subject and then not get any sort of marks or anything for that effort just because i didnt have another half hour.

This 1 big exam theory in Ireland is sooo stupid!! I am so angry at the fact i spent so much time studying something and then not having enough time to do the question(i know its my fault, but whatever!). My chance at even getting a B now are gone . . . . . :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CasualLiKE

luv-eirexx wrote: »
    I am so disappointed with paper 2. Completely ran out of time which meant that i only got 1 and a half pages done on Yeats for poetry. I didnt get the unseen done at all:( And poetry would have been my best answer!!!

It is the most depressing feeling ever to have spent 1 full year (no lie, our teacher LOVED poetry!) doing a subject and then not get any sort of marks or anything for that effort just because i didnt have another half hour.

This 1 big exam theory in Ireland is sooo stupid!! I am so angry at the fact i spent so much time studying something and then not having enough time to do the question(i know its my fault, but whatever!). My chance at even getting a B now are gone . . . . . :(

Did you finish the rest of the paper up until that point? I'm sure you will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

I'm really pleased with how it went :) Wrote about 22 pages in total I think. Just about filled an answer booklet. I was so strict with myself on time management and I'm glad cause I could've wrote more on my comparative.

Did the villainy question on Lear, handy enough seeing as I only really studied evil characters properly.

LG split question for comparative. Don't usually like the splits but the first questions seemed horrific in my opinion.

Kavanagh for the poetry. I wanted Longley but Kavanagh and Yeats were my back ups.

Unseen, did about 2 pages, but sure, who knows about that! I was really BSing my way through it.

Goodbye english! Forever and ever!

Oh and those who are upset about the Boland incident, it's only 12.5% it's really not the end of the world. If you attempted another question you're going to get something out of it so don't feel too bad, chins up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

luv-eirexx wrote: »

no you haven't you can still pass an essay at that length or even grab a low c if you know your stuff inside out (which you appear to)

and i really have to say don't blame the system just because you didn't manage your time..

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

and i really have to say don't blame the system just because you didn't manage your time..

I had to take an urgent dump during paper one. As a result didn't have time to look over paper.
    For spelling errors.
    Niice. Definately my poor time management skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

About a page into my G + VP I decided to swallow my pride and start again, realised I couldnt answer the question so I decided to switch to the LG 70m and actually was pretty happy with the answer and I got 5pages on it so it was ok.;)

Rich was good as was Lear and the unseen!

Delighted I never have to study an english play/poem again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Loved the lear question! The b part. Did the almost the exact same one a few weeks ago. It was great because if you didn't know individual characters that well you could just mash everything you did know into the essay.
    I <3 Rich.
    And the gvv two parter was grand just a bit more time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

I had to make the biggest piss of my life in Paper 1 too!!! ****ing unreliable bladder! T'was a grand paper though. GV+V was a **** in paper two though, it left no room for bull**** which I like to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I had to pee so, so badly when it hit around 5:00. But really, what's a burst bladder when you didn't even start your poetry question yet? Needless to say, I raced towards the bathroom afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

fufureida wrote: »
    I had to take an urgent dump during paper one. As a result didn't have time to look over paper.
    For spelling errors.
    Niice. Definately my poor time management skills.

More like poor bowel management skills :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Can we take the discussion out of the toilet? :p

Nerves can have a big impact on such bodily functions, 'nuff said!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mikeyofcork

i was given an insider tip that the poets who were coming up were going to be Walcott, Robert Frost, Eminem and Cathal O'Searchaigh.
    good thing i studied yeats!

was in the same boat with a lot of people for the comparative. did the split gv&v question and im glad i did. got about four and a half pages (11 words/line) between them. then did four on lear (the brutality one) and 3 and a half on yeats. up to this exam i had never attempted an unseen poem before in my life and didnt have a clue what the mood was! did anyone else feel like she just blabbed on for 12 lines!? still got the second part of that question done so i only lost 10 marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

can i just say how amazing the comparative question was? "helps your understanding of V+V"... so vague and general :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

can i just say how amazing the comparative question was? "helps your understanding of V+V"... so vague and general :)

I kinda wished I covered V&V on my own. My class did C&C and LG and I suck at LG.

But........NO MORE ENGLISH

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

I explained how I understood it, didn't really mention what it was... too specific?:confused:

Our whole school did CC and VV.... and my friend decided to write on LG!! I think she read up on it and that, though. hope it works for her!!
    But........NO MORE ENGLISH

I think I'm doing it in college... a means to an end!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

Didn't have time to finish the king Lear. Basic good versus evil. ****ing hell. Only wrote 2 pages on it. The paper went **** for me. The literary genre caught me off guard so badly... We were all cursing our teacher at the end. Wrote 6 pages on comparative and poetry went nice. I'd be very suprised if I get even a B3. I'm actually depressed outta my mind. My dad is giving me a horrible silent treatment and criticizing me none stop. I can't stop crying. I want to turn back the clock 2 years so I never had to repeat, God help me.

I hope you feel better now, remember you wont actualy know how you did until you open ur envelope in august :)
    did the first lear question.. lear was my weak spot so i left it until last which was a good idea because i basically wrote ****e for three pages. something about how the honest and loyal characters triumph morally over the brutal and vicious?

But dominated yeats and lit genre so hopefully it went ok.

oh and did anyone else say the main mood of the poem was hopeful?? :confused:

I said the main mood of the poem was hopeful :)
    Does anyone know if I were to repeat again what subject I can take instead of English and Art? My others are geo, history, French and maths... All higher except maths which is foundation.

stop writing yourself off, you're gonna be fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I think I'm doing it in college... a means to an end!!

I feel for you son I got 99 problems but further study of literature ain't one.....

Conor108 wrote: »
    I feel for you son I got 99 problems but further study of literature ain't one.....

It will cripple me for a futher 3-4 years... I was reading about the course on the college website and one description of a module thingy in the course was like "This module aims to study how Renaissance writers felt about feminism and women in their works"... that doesnt sound TOO bad but the way they said it I nearly died there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I think I might have mixed up Edgar and Edmund in the exam. Will I be killed my the examiner for this?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I think I might have mixed up Edgar and Edmund in the exam. Will I be killed my the examiner for this?:confused:

I'd say that would happen often enough... I did it a couple of times in 5th year tests and stuff, and not much was made of it :)

I'm after finding out that I mixed up my authors for the comparative. I put Brian Friel for Lies of Silence and Brian Moore for Dancing at Lughnasa... :rolleyes:

Advertisement