Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour De Picnic 2010 Friday Sep 3rd

• 10-06-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

I thought some of you might be interested

http://www.templestreet.ie/index.php/event/tour-de-picnic
    THE 2WHEELS 'TOUR DE PICNIC' FOR TEMPLE STREET CHILDREN'S UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL

Join one of the most exciting cycling events in Ireland this year as the Electric Picnic and 2Wheels unveil a 'Tour de Picnic' cycling fundraiser to this year's Picnic.

In participating you will be fundraising for a very worthy charity, Temple Street Children's University Hospital, in return for a free ticket to the festival, as well as remaining true to the eco friendly philosophy of the Picnic. Oh..and did we mention how much fun you'll have?

The 90km cycle ride will leave Dublin at 10.00am on the morning of Friday 3rd September, with friendly experts from '2Wheels Cycles' traveling with you all the way to advise and lead the groups on a protected cycle route along the quiet, scenic back roads to Stradbally. There will be mechanics on hand to help with any problematic bikes and ensure that everyone arrives in Stradbally safely and in time to enjoy the first beats from the main stage at Electric Picnic. Avoid traffic tail backs and enjoy the lovely countryside and fresh air en route to the festival. Your bags and tents for the weekend will be transported for you and will be waiting there for collection when you arrive at the specially constructed and secure bicycle parking site on the Stradbally Estate.

By joining the 'Tour de Picnic' you will raise much needed funds for Temple Street Children's University Hospital, and it couldn't be simpler.

1. Go to www.electricpicnic.ie and fill in your details - we'll do the rest to get your "fundraising wheels in motion"
    2. Once you reach your fundraising target of EU500 you will receive your free Electric Picnic ticket and 2Wheels Cycling Itinerary.

All funds raised from The 2Wheels 'Tour de Picnic' for Temple Street will go towards the Neurosurgery Appeal to assist patients suffering from diseases or injuries of the brain or spine. These include patients with brain tumours, brain haemorrhage and spinal malformations or injuries as well as the treatment of some forms of cerebral palsy and epilepsy. The proceeds from this event will go toward the purchase of vital neurosurgical equipment to ensure patients receive the best possible standard of care during this traumatic time in their lives. For more info go to www.templestreet.ie

Whether you cycle to work or for fun, or haven't been on a bike since you were 12…it's time to get festival fit. Join the thousands of people who have been hooked by the cycling bug. It's healthy, economic, environmentally friendly and most of all its fun!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

This looks amazing, free ticket to electric picnic, i'll definitely be doing this!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

thanks for that caroline, something i will prob deffo do, its a place near and dear to me after spending the majority of my youth in and out of the place, it angers me so much the way mary harney is treating the place!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'd be all up for it, except they don't mention anything about getting back... they'll carry my bags and tent there, then I have to either cycle with my rucksack home, or get a lift for me, my rucksack *and* my bike?

Or get someone to carry my rucksack while I cycle home.

edit: Also, if I were to do it, I'd feel an awful lot like I was asking people to pay for my ticket to EP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So you contribute the ticket price to the fund raiser and ask others to contribute the the hospital fund. Solved.

I presume there's transport back for tents too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Wouldn't like to have to cycle back with a massive hang over. Will the journey back be on the Monday or Sunday?

+ how do you get your tent, bag, tray of beer and freezer box of ice to the pickup point? Will there be secure bike parking inside or outside the venue? Lycra or baggies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

[offtopic] I hate it that they don't have one day tickets, I only want to see National.. bah :mad: [/offtopic]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

cdaly_ wrote: »
    So you contribute the ticket price to the fund raiser and ask others to contribute the the hospital fund. Solved.

I presume there's transport back for tents too...
    buffalo wrote: »
    I'd be all up for it, except they don't mention anything about getting back... they'll carry my bags and tent there, then I have to either cycle with my rucksack home, or get a lift for me, my rucksack *and* my bike?

Or get someone to carry my rucksack while I cycle home.

edit: Also, if I were to do it, I'd feel an awful lot like I was asking people to pay for my ticket to EP.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    Wouldn't like to have to cycle back with a massive hang over. Will the journey back be on the Monday or Sunday?

+ how do you get your tent, bag, tray of beer and freezer box of ice to the pickup point? Will there be secure bike parking inside or outside the venue? Lycra or baggies?

Lads, reading the page through properly would reveal this piece of information:
    Join one of the most exciting cycling events in Ireland this year as the Electric Picnic and 2Wheels unveil a ‘Tour de Picnic’ cycling fundraiser to this year’s Picnic.

In participating you will be fundraising for a very worthy charity, Temple Street Children’s University Hospital, in return for a free ticket to the festival, as well as remaining true to the eco friendly philosophy of the Picnic. Oh..and did we mention how much fun you’ll have?

The 90km cycle ride will leave Dublin at 10.00am on the morning of Friday 3rd September, with friendly experts from ‘2Wheels Cycles’ traveling with you all the way to advise and lead the groups on a protected cycle route along the quiet, scenic back roads to Stradbally. There will be mechanics on hand to help with any problematic bikes and ensure that everyone arrives in Stradbally safely and in time to enjoy the first beats from the main stage at Electric Picnic. Avoid traffic tail backs and enjoy the lovely countryside and fresh air en route to the festival. Your bags and tents for the weekend will be transported for you and will be waiting there for collection when you arrive at the specially constructed and secure bicycle parking site on the Stradbally Estate. You and your bike will also be transported back to Dublin.

heh, that wasn't in the original press release. Thanks for the update!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

buffalo wrote: »
    heh, that wasn't in the original press release. Thanks for the update!
    Hmm, it was where I linked on the EP site when I read that page around 4 or 5 pm yesterday, so it may have been an omission on the Temple Street PR end. EP have your back though, it seems :)

• Advertisement

I signed up. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

+ how do you get your tent, bag, tray of beer and freezer box of ice to the pickup point? Lycra or baggies?

1)Panniers :D

2)Lycra :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Looks interesting. 500 euro is a fair whack to raise though. Also makes you wonder how poor ticket sales must be if EP are giving away 1000 tickets (or about 3% of tickets) for this. But I don't actually believe that EP are giving them away for nothing, I reckon that EP are charging something for the tickets. I would like to know how much of the money actually goes to the charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

penexpers wrote: »
    Looks interesting. 500 euro is a fair whack to raise though.
    It's actually €550 when you include the deposit. I agree, I'm not sure all of it goes to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I would be very interested to hear from novices who are up to give this a shot! Really want to give this a lash !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You might get a decent response if you post on the EP forum itself: http://forum.electricpicnic.ie/

It's actually €550 when you include the deposit. I agree, I'm not sure all of it goes to charity.

The €50 deposit is included in the €500, according to the information I received with my application form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I would be very interested to hear from novices who are up to give this a shot! Really want to give this a lash !

I'm a novice who has signed up! Haven't used my bike as a form of transport for 4 years. The next 2 and half months are going to be interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This is tempting, but might be too far for me and I'd also feel bad asking people for money for it, even if I did pay for the ticket myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mua

I've signed up!!! Just got my confirmation by post. I haven't cycled since I was a kid, but bought a bike a month or so ago and am going to use this as a goal.. Hope I'm not being too ambitious but at least it's not a 90km cycle with no breaks... With regard to fundraising am going to put €200 to it myself which covers the discounted price of the ticket and then hopefully raise the rest... You siging up??

• Advertisement

Piste wrote: »
    This is tempting, but might be too far for me and I'd also feel bad asking people for money for it, even if I did pay for the ticket myself.

If you pay for the ticket yourself you're only asking people for money for temple street which is a really good cause:)

Have recently signed up for this:eek:

Anyone received any training guides/plans from the organisers?? or got any advice for a training plan for a novice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

how secure is the bike tent? don't fancy leaving a 4k bike there-id be like totally paronoid like!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mua wrote: »
    I've signed up!!! Just got my confirmation by post. I haven't cycled since I was a kid, but bought a bike a month or so ago and am going to use this as a goal.. Hope I'm not being too ambitious but at least it's not a 90km cycle with no breaks... With regard to fundraising am going to put €200 to it myself which covers the discounted price of the ticket and then hopefully raise the rest... You siging up??
    I am indeed, There's going to be a few of us by the looks of it! We'l get there before dark!! Once we get to Killcullen we're laughing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

penexpers wrote: »
    Looks interesting. 500 euro is a fair whack to raise though. Also makes you wonder how poor ticket sales must be if EP are giving away 1000 tickets (or about 3% of tickets) for this. But I don't actually believe that EP are giving them away for nothing, I reckon that EP are charging something for the tickets. I would like to know how much of the money actually goes to the charity.

Found out that 60% of the first 500 and anything above 500 goes to the charity. So tickets and any other expenses are costing 200 euro, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Joobs

I'm a novice, looking forward to attacknig this!! raising 500 is gonna be tough work, but I was planning to go anyway so I may aswell pay for my ticket and raise the rest!!

Joobs wrote: »
    I'm a novice, looking forward to attacknig this!! raising 500 is gonna be tough work, but I was planning to go anyway so I may aswell pay for my ticket and raise the rest!!

Good on ya! Best of luck with the training and fundraising:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Gonna sign up to this tomorrow....hope me is not too late!

Advertisement