Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a theft claim affect a no claims bonus?

Options
  • 10-06-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

My car was broken into last October and long story short I claimed for the damage through my insurance company. Recently, I was involved in a minor car accident that was not my fault.

I sent my insurance company the invoice for the damage done and they said I could pursue it myself or they would compensate me and chase the other party for the damages.

They mentioned that my no claims bonus would be affected and when I said i'd chase it myself they said my NCB was already affected by my theft claim - which they didn't mention at the time. I haven't checked my policy info yet but had assumed that a theft claim would not affect my NCB.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts? I've a 5 year NCB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

it depends on your insurance company. some do and some don't. check the t+c of your policy or call your insurance company quoting your policy number.

+ edit
    your insurance company is telling you that your ncb is effected so i'd go with that being the correct ans but call again if in doubt. if you've not put in a claim (i.e. no money paid out) then the option should be there to close off your claim without effecting your policy, assuming there's no other potential payments they need to keep it open for

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unless you pay for NCB protection, then any claim against your policy will effect your bonus, or unless certain claims are allowed. Most policies allow for windscreen claims that don't effect your bonus, for example, but whether they allow for other types of claim would be up to them.

Advertisement