Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister-Rent Supplement reductions

Options
  • 10-06-2010 4:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Maximum rent supplements limits are to be reduced by up to 36% for tenants who are entering into new leases or renewing leases.
    However, the supplements for single people are to remain largely untouched.
    Eamon Ó Cuiv said the reductions were designed to reflect the reductions in the rental market and would ensure that landlords are not charging artificially high rents.
    95,000 households are supported by rent supplement
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0610/rent.html

About time.
    95,000 households! That's a huge amount.
    Rent supplement levels are creating an artificial floor for rents around the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

snubbleste wrote: »
    About time.
    95,00 households! That's a huge amount.
    Rent supplement levels are creating an artificial floor for rents around the country.

95000 getting rent supplements in a country of this size is utter madness !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It ain't called landlords dole for nothing you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

snubbleste wrote: »
    About time.
    95,000 households! That's a huge amount.

It was around 52,000 even at the height of the boom in 2002-2004. (Source: ESRI, Fahy 2004)

Part of the justification for lowering the baseline may be to try to stop landlords simply charging the lowest rent at this rate. If you look around most areas, its no secret that the absolute rock bottom rent levels are strangely enough - exactly this figure.

95k isn't actually bad considering that the raw numbers unemployed have gone up by about 250k at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Does anyone know what is the maximum length of time that rent supplement can be availed of?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve McQueen

This is a disgrace. my rent allowance was cut twice last year with the emergency budget also my dole was cut. Now my rent cheque is getting cut again.

After my cheque is paid I pay 100 a month for rent at the moment, now its getting cut by 36% so now I have to pay 136?

My landlord wont change the rent, this wont encourage lower rents, its just taking the money of the social welfare recipient. Its allmost 8quid a week, doesnt sound like much but we get screwed by the govt 3 or 4 times a year with rent cheque cuts, JA cuts, emergency budgets etc. It all adds up, thats 8 quid less I can use to buy food, transport in and out of town to do shopping, visit my family on other side of town etc.

The landlord will keep getting his full rent and the govt will save a few quid but I will have to stretch the euros even further now.

how will this encourage lower rents? It makes no difference, even if I negotiate lower rent with my landlord I still pay the same contribution towards my rent so my outgoings STILL increase.

If you want to control rents, put a cap on how much landlords can charge. dont penalise the unemployed, not our fault there is no jobs here dont punish us,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

This is a disgrace. my rent allowance was cut twice last year with the emergency budget also my dole was cut. Now my rent cheque is getting cut again.

After my cheque is paid I pay 100 a month for rent at the moment, now its getting cut by 36% so now I have to pay 136?

My landlord wont change the rent, this wont encourage lower rents, its just taking the money of the social welfare recipient. Its allmost 8quid a week, doesnt sound like much but we get screwed by the govt 3 or 4 times a year with rent cheque cuts, JA cuts, emergency budgets etc. It all adds up, thats 8 quid less I can use to buy food, transport in and out of town to do shopping, visit my family on other side of town etc.

The landlord will keep getting his full rent and the govt will save a few quid but I will have to stretch the euros even further now.

how will this encourage lower rents? It makes no difference, even if I negotiate lower rent with my landlord I still pay the same contribution towards my rent so my outgoings STILL increase.

If you want to control rents, put a cap on how much landlords can charge. dont penalise the unemployed, not our fault there is no jobs here dont punish us,

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Im after reading the document on the changes on welfare.ie and just to make sure I understand it, My rent is 85 a wk in shared accom in Dublin (not finglas area) therefore I will still be eligible to get Rent supplement yes?

I got a letter recently from the CWO with a form entitled a review of rent supplement to fill out, just basically to ensure my circumstances are the same. The fact that my rent is 85 a week means Im still fine regardless of this review. correct?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Offy wrote: »
    +1

Put it into perspective folks.
    You live in a country with no war, a high life expectancy and you are probably in the wealthiest 15% of the people on the planet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve McQueen

Also we will get more cuts in the 2011 budget on top of this.

We seem to get shafted twice a year nowdays

Advertisement