Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unseen Poem

• 10-06-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭

How'd ye handle it? Just interested to see. I said it was overly hopeful, but also did a bit about the gloomy, depressing start.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,797 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Same...gloomy and depressing for (a) (i)
    for (ii) the image i chose was the first 2 lines of the poem..first day of spring stepping out into the sun...cant remember exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Did the personal response, said how the poem lived up to the expectations of the title of a seed being persistent and bringing hope with new life after the unstoppable storm that was winter....did about a page, first thing I did actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 scherzo!

I said "The poet handles a religiously-charged theme in a calm and original atheistic way." Then I started just praising the hell out of it and a whole load of other BS like "The creativity of the poem impacted me considerably".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

For the image I chose the one about the flower with the raindrops on it. Ranted on about the metaphor for hope and strength of the human spirit, and a good bit about the power of nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

it was a fairly accessible poem..thought the theme was the conflict between religion and science..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I kind of bluffed the personal response one as my time was limited, didn't get Lear done either but I done a plan with ending and where I would have went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Kersmash wrote: »
    For the image I chose the one about the flower with the raindrops on it. Ranted on about the metaphor for hope and strength of the human spirit, and a good bit about the power of nature.

Chose that too, I also said it was a happy and uplifting. Also mentioned the contrast between the gloomy house and the hope and strength in the flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

I only had 10mins left for the unseen poetry so just managed about a page of waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭paul08

i didnt really like the poem but i did the personal response and talked about the poet overcoming adversity and the images used being symbolic of purity and innocence

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Lol I just said it was joyous and loads about contrast between the house and the garden.
    Seriously crap poem though :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 vicksterchick

I did part (A). For (i) I said that the tone was more gracious/hopeful than anything, and I went on a bit about the poem being a metaphor for a tough time in her life, the poet being grateful for what she has left now that it's over, etc. Didn't really see religion as a major theme. :o

For (ii), I talked about the image of the plants holding the raindrops "like a promise", or whatever it was. I said it was a hopeful image, and I liked it because it was worded in an odd way.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

exact same as me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I thought it was pretty hard to talk about, so my personal response wasn't so personal at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

I thought it was about religion and spirituality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

what are linpids or whatever it said?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

i basically said that the winter was a metaphor for the church or religion that she was trapped in the darkness... however now that she has stepped out of the church there is brightness for her and she can see the true beauty of natural and life... this is a contrast to what the church want us to believe as they try to feed us lies about a god controlling life but now she can truly understand the greatest of life and she praises it now that she is in the warm bright spring and beginning of the rest of her life (spring naturally beinging a metaphor for new life)

twas easy enough i though - easy to understand but i couldn't find many poetic tools bar the imagery and metaphors...

jesus i defo got 0 in that then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

lucybrown wrote: »
    what are linpids or whatever it said?

lupins.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

i thought it was about recovering from an illness...like depression or something

ooh i see....thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

ahaaa...roysh me too then

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corolla 1991

lucybrown wrote: »
    jesus i defo got 0 in that then
    Yea same as, I talked about how the storm had damaged her flowers?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kiwi205

snap! except i said it was nature reaching out to the speaker and apologising for the devastation the storm caused.....and i said the feeling at the start was bitterness but then it turned into optimism.....i have never heard of lupin flowers in my life but God i used the name of that flower like there was no tomorrow! :D

i just talked about how the flowers showed peace after the storm? haha oh well ****kkkkk it nothing we can do about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MilesReilly

I messed this one up, due to hating the poem, it aggravated me for some reason. Sure I answered it but I kept thinking why this poem? its sh*t

everything else was ok.
    The question for Kavanagh was perfect I remember thinking to myself yesterday, I bet its the whole seeing extraordinary in the ordinary thing
    Why did so many ppl rely on Boland, didn't she show up last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MartyMur

I rushed the personal response for the unseen poetry question. I said something about hope I think and I spoke with conviction, that's all the matters right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Er.. I wasn't sure what it was about. It said personal response and impact, so I said it made me think about how I was happy to see the snow stop this year after those few weeks of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kavkid

I left it until the very last with 10 minutes left, I did it pretty well for the time. I said that it was about hope and renewal. And the image about the seed with the raindrop and stuff was the one I discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

Unseen poetry is flexible. It doesn't matter if you interpreted it wrong, as long as you back up your points with reference to the poem, you get marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

ceol18 wrote: »
    i thought it was about recovering from an illness...like depression or something
    so did I! I talked about recuperating after a traumatic event, hence the destructive storm

Advertisement