Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Smugness and Appreciation for Yeats, Rich, Kavanagh and Eliot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

WB Yeats: Snappin' necks, and cashin' cheques. Discuss with appropriate references to his works.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

I love how everyone pretty much has an emotional connection to their poet now! I think I might get a framed picture of Kavanagh for my bedroom wall. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

hon pa wrote: »
    I love how everyone pretty much has an emotional connection to their poet now! I think I might get a framed picture of Kavanagh for my bedroom wall. :)
    Rich's sexy face would delight me in the morning, sure:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Go Kavanagh :D

A girl going for medicine(But is a bitch tbh,but dont wish her any miss givings) learned only Boland...burtst into tears and wrote a pitty note stating how she going for medicine lol and that shes worked hard all year lol :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Seloth wrote: »

A girl going for medicine(But is a bitch tbh,but dont wish her any miss givings) learned only Boland...burtst into tears and wrote a pitty note stating how she going for medicine lol and that shes worked hard all year lol :p

Oh dear... Poor girl, but she could've at least tried to make some kind of an answer on someone else!
    I was a nerd and learned 5 poets. Turned out nicely as I had a choice between Rich, Kavanagh, and Yeats. Went for Yeats but I'm kind of regretting it now as everyone did Yeats so I have a feeling I'll be marked harder :(

• Advertisement

zam wrote: »
    Oh dear... Poor girl, but she could've at least tried to make some kind of an answer on someone else!
    I was a nerd and learned 5 poets. Turned out nicely as I had a choice between Rich, Kavanagh, and Yeats. Went for Yeats but I'm kind of regretting it now as everyone did Yeats so I have a feeling I'll be marked harder :(
    Me too! AND, I'm repeating so I learned 4 new poets and the one I did, Rich, I'd studied first Leaving Cert round...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

My englsh paper was a disater both 1 and 2.
    For personal esssay I made up 4 differnt characters about freedom of what it meant to them and I added mine.

For paper 2 I was expecting longley but I did rich. I discussed 6 poems with 3quotes om all except 1.

Shakespeare was out of the blue. I did thr second bit and compared Edgar to edumund with 5 quotes.

I'm thinkin of dong plc courses right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CLAIRE_CAT

thank you sweet sweet kavanagh
    i think i may just be in love with you right now xxxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If she only prepared one poet, doesn't say much for her analytical skills tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Would it not have been better to have made a half assed attempt at one of them? Even without any quotes :rolleyes:
    Although i feel slightly better if this person is my competition for med, petty i know :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Kavanagh is a babe.

If she only prepared one poet, doesn't say much for her analytical skills tbh.
    What do examiners think when they see a pity note? Would they just ignore it or get a little giggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

I did Yeats in My J.C, most exams I've done, apart from the mocks, and now the actual leaving cert. :) We've been through a lot together and I am sad to think that our time together is coming to an end...hopefully I'll get to study him in college is I get the points..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

theowen wrote: »
    What do examiners think when they see a pity note? Would they just ignore it or get a little giggle?
    I'd say it'd be same reaction as today when many realised Boland wasn't there...ROFL!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I did Longley, Kavanagh, Rich and Boland. Saw Kavanagh and was so happy I got a boner legit
    So that's where you got your user name! :p
    theowen wrote: »
    Depends on the person I suppose ... but one way or the other, you can't award marks for "the wrong poet came up!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FairyWings

Yeats you BABE! I knew Rich would come up the whole fecking country studied Boland. See the facebook groups about here lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

hon pa wrote: »

Haha yeah and theres people on Boland's Facebook page declaring their everlasting hate for her and calling her a 'fat slag' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Ah now, that would've happened regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

it really really makes me smile :D
    you know that if Boland came up all the people'd be going yeah I only studied Boland, safe bet hah
    well unlucky hahahaha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

oh the poor b*tch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

"I think it might be a good time for me to profess my undying love for Yeats. Seriously, why did he waste his time with Maude Gonne when he could have been with me? Love you Yeatsie poo"

This was my joyous post-exam Facebook status. I got 3 comments saying "Dislike".

Whatevs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

:rolleyes:

tear :P haha , it's harsh but that's what she gets:pac:

oooooooh the time spent of Thomas Stearns paid off
    :cool:

zam wrote: »

lots did rich and paddy k. fair is fair, you'll be marked against the scheme! lots studied Boland. I am one such fellow. I wrote a page and a quarter on Kav from recollecton 5/6 years ago! assure a fellow ''Parnassian hills'' is from Shancoduff???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

And why are these people putting the blame directly on Boland.....she didnt make the friggin paper did she....!!

And why are these people putting the blame directly on Boland.....she didnt make the friggin paper did she....!!

That is a good point! But just think about all the hype about it, it was a huge blow to so many students today but at least it's only worth like 12% of the overall mark though so an A1 is still achievable without it..maybe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

thats what I dont understand....yeah I know me and a few of my mates were like if she doesnt come up ill kill her lol, but theres making a joke and then there is just plain nasty. Its the SEC they should be taking their anger out on, and even then, they dont really have a right to, we're expected to know at least 6...

And Boland is a b*tch-i've met her! And Longley i've met too, lovely man, bit of a man's man would you believe?

And they didn't come up for me

woe WOE WOE is me, needed an A1

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    That is a good point! But just think about all the hype about it, it was a huge blow to so many students today but at least it's only worth like 12% of the overall mark though so an A1 is still achievable without it..maybe..

Well only if they got 100% in everything else and at least 10 marks in whatever attempt they made in poetry...otherwise nope!

Ah we have to give them something to wish for haha. It'd be pretty much improbable rather than impossible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mau5

RyanK wrote: »
    Basically I said about Romantic Ireland being dead and gone in the real world but in the ideal world he wants Romantic Ireland to be alive... I don't know if that's right I'm a pure BS'er.

I did the same, used Lake Isle, September 1913, Easter 1916 and Byzantium as I do always for Yeats. Pretty much went on about imagery and descriptive language use and liked it in with the question!

For Lake Isle I said the tension is between the real world being him living in depressing London and his ideal world of living primitive in Innisfree

September 1913 I said it was between real world having no patriotism/nationalism in his oppinion to his ideal world where it was more like when wolfetone was around.

Easter 1916 I said it was between real world patriotism/martyrs and his idea of lack of romance in 1913

Then Byzantium I said it was between real world him aging/becoming sick and ideal world being "immortalised" like Byzantine emperors :)

Hope it goes well!

Advertisement