Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll of which poet you picked

• 10-06-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Didn't particulary want to make another tread but interested in which poet everyone attempted.

Which poet? 167 votes

Yeats
    0% 0 votes
    Rich
    46% 77 votes
    Kavanagh
    20% 34 votes
    Eliot
    33% 56 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

Kavanagh :D
    personally don't like his poetry but I studied him well so I'm glad!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

kavanagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Kavanagh. Got 4 pages on him and it was surprisingly decent but christ, the first few seconds of shock when I saw the poets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

WB Yeats.... You sexy dead decomposed bastard! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Fernicia

Crow92 wrote: »
    Didn't particulary want to make another tread but interested in which poet everyone attempted.

There should be a "Could not attempt" option. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

yeats was a dream of a question! and i only learnt the lake isle of inisfree an hour before so i was chuffed XD

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

I did Kavanagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kfpt

ahhhh u can always rely on good old yeats!

the look on ppls faces wen boland wasnt there!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Eliot :D

Was so happy when I saw him, wrote pages and pages about him. Couldn't even think about Lear or comparative for about 30 mins :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

Kavanagh was the only cool poet if that makes any sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Rich :D Absolutely hate her poetry but its fairly easy to write about, I like kavanagh and yeats but didn't like the questions that came up about them. Thank f**k I wasn't relying on boland too much although I did have more perpared on her.

Can't wait to read this forum next year, it'l say 'boland has to come up this year since she didn't last year' or maybe she isin't on the course next year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ahem.....where's the Boland option? :p

jk!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Billy Yeats. I'd kiss him if he was alive! What a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Viva La Cozzy

I was delighted Yeats came up but the statement really only related to Lake Isle of Innisfree :/ I had to practically draw blood from a stone and talk about Wild Swans at Coole and An Irish Airman Forsees His Death... I finished it off nicely i said:

How the speaker can be so certain of forthcoming death and not be phased by it still raises many questions.
    Perhaps he did not mind losing his life here. Perhaps he did so so that he may start his life again "somewhere among the clouds" B)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Paddy k from the block

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Princess3

I did Yeats! Was hoping for Boland though but i knew Yeats well enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

i wwanted to do boland because she's always been my favourite, i know her poems off by heart, but this morning as i was going to ead over them something kept me back and instead i ended up focusing on Kavanagh for the two hours, trust instinct :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

So happy many avoided Rich!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 The Cool One

T.S. Eliot. I had himself, Kavanagh, Yeats and Boland well prepared but Boland was my last choice, so I had the option of my top 3!

The Eliot question was the easiest for me though, blabbed on for ages about Prufrock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Wow loads of people did Yeats! I always found him kinda hard. Kavanagh SAVED MY F***ING DAY!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I was hoping for Boland or Longely but ended up writing about Eliot : ( I tried to keep it on topic but didn't know a lot of quotes so it wasn't great. Ah well, it's over now!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Holy ****. Yeats was the most popular.
    I did Rich.

Do they mark it harder when more people do a specific question?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

JoeyBuddy wrote: »
    Holy ****. Yeats was the most popular.
    I did Rich.

Do they mark it harder when more people do a specific question?

I'd say it isn't a conscious thing that they think 'Oh I've seen loads of Yeats essays, have to mark them hard' but they are only human and after the first twenty or so of the same essay they might look more favourably on a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'd say it isn't a conscious thing that they think 'Oh I've seen loads of Yeats essays, have to mark them hard' but they are only human and after the first twenty or so of the same essays they might look more favourably on a change.
    Indeed. And in my school very very few did Rich, so I figure they'll look favourably on mine:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Kav :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

kfpt wrote: »
    the look on ppls faces wen boland wasnt there!:eek:

The look on my face!! Oh i was laughing for a good 5min, I was saying all year Rich would come up and would anyone listen to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

For a sec I was worried about doing Yeats, even though I knew him well, cause I knew he was most people's second option, after Boland of course, but the question was very specific. I managed to use Easter 1916, Sept 1913, Sailing to Byzantium (of course), Lake Isle of Inisfree and The Wild Swans At Coole. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

theowen wrote: »
    Indeed. And in my school very very few did Rich, so I figure they'll look favourably on mine:)

Rich FTW!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I was so nervous opening the paper today. Would have been totally screwed if Yeats didn't come up. Was hedging my bets on Rich or Yeats coming up (even though I can't stand her).

Anyone here that was relying on Longley? A few in my class were slightly annoyed he didn't come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 emperorofhell

studied yeats, kavanagh and rich. Couldnt have been happier

Advertisement