Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll of which poet you picked

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I did kavanagh. Not a bad question but would have preferred longley but he that is the leaving cert for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Yeats. Question only related to Innisfree and Byzantium so just used my vast and wide-ranging bulls**t skills to great effect in writing about 1913 and 1916. Happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

*giggles* wrote: »
    I was so nervous opening the paper today. Would have been totally screwed if Yeats didn't come up. Was hedging my bets on Rich or Yeats coming up (even though I can't stand her).

Anyone here that was relying on Longley? A few in my class were slightly annoyed he didn't come up.
    Me too. I was so happy with the paper tho, had to hold back a VERY tempting pump fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Paddy Kavo saved my Leaving Cert. Cheers bro. Appreciate it.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Yeats. Question only related to Innisfree and Byzantium so just used my vast and wide-ranging bulls**t skills to great effect in writing about 1913 and 1916. Happy enough.
    Untrue. Wild swans at Coole is there too (swans are timeless). I've forgotten the rest of the poems already/threw them into my metaphorical rubbish bin :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

theowen wrote: »
    Me too. I was so happy with the paper tho, had to hold back a VERY tempting pump fist.

Pump fist now? I was actually so happy when I saw Yeats on the page. What's the appeal of Boland? I really can't see why people like her poetry

*giggles* wrote: »
    Pump fist now? I was actually so happy when I saw Yeats on the page. What's the appeal of Boland? I really can't see why people like her poetry
    Me too, but the Yeats' question was a wee bit limiting I though, initially at least. I think I'd destroy it now though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

I was delighted Yeats came up but the statement really only related to Lake Isle of Innisfree :/ I had to practically draw blood from a stone and talk about Wild Swans at Coole and An Irish Airman Forsees His Death... I finished it off nicely i said:

How the speaker can be so certain of forthcoming death and not be phased by it still raises many questions.
    Perhaps he did not mind losing his life here. Perhaps he did so so that he may start his life again "somewhere among the clouds" B)

What about sept 1913? basically saying, this world is ****, do something about it.
    and sailing to byzanthium? he didnt like the real world, went off to byzanthium?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

snooleen wrote: »
    For a sec I was worried about doing Yeats, even though I knew him well, cause I knew he was most people's second option, after Boland of course, but the question was very specific. I managed to use Easter 1916, Sept 1913, Sailing to Byzantium (of course), Lake Isle of Inisfree and The Wild Swans At Coole. :)

same as my friend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dannyboymed

Eliot job! Brought my terrible drawing of a burnished throne with me to the exam hoping it'd give me good luck. It did, I wrote about Prufrock and A Game of Chess :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

No Boland on the paper?! I don't know about anyone else's school, but most of mine back her and she didn't show!? Bleeding hilarious

Me?. I actually hated Boland, I found her poetry to be mainly annoying so was glad to not see her on the paper. Personally I backed Rich all along (Legit) because she was the curveball on last years paper, which was cancelled because of the leak (which EVERYONE knows), I nearly put money on them pulling a double-whammy stunt like this..

I chose the Eliot question in the end, the troubled character to end all troubled characters!? Though I only covered 5 poets in class, four of which came up!?. (Boland being my fifth!?)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

Eliot :)

I wrote about Prufrock, Game of Chess and Journey of the Magi. Got over 4 pages out of it because I love Eliot so much, but then I found I was rushing for Lear :( still managed 4 pages tho... even if I get 30/60 thats 6% :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

i was very happy with rich question...i talked about aunt jennifers, uncle speaks, living in sin, diving into the wreck, very nice question

Advertisement