Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies become famous in the Irish Times

• 10-06-2010 7:14pm

Hello Dyeti, Timbuk2**, SantryRed, Healium, Tibbers, That Guy, Sigi, Thefirestarter and myself! Did you hear you've all been quoted in the Irish Times today in the comments about yesterday's English paper?

Gosh, I hope my examiner realises they're correcting the paper of a celebrity :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Ha yeh I was on Tuesday's apparently. Talking about the timetable. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

Conor108 wrote: »
    Linky?
    Not sure if you can get it online without paying, it was in a 'Blogwatch' section rather than an article.

Nevermind, someone found it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Loved Pirate Queen's quote :P. I only quoted chef in my PI:

"there's a time and place for everything, it's called college"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

There are quotes from here in today's Examiner, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0609/1224272123692.html

The Irish Times - Wednesday, June 9, 2010.

Quoted for those on mobile.

Blogwatch: Exam chat from students on the message boards
    We pay a fee for the LC right? I wouldn’t mind paying that fee four times if it meant we got continuous assessment.

Tehpok – boards.ie

Bullet Points, Bullet Points, Bullet Points. Take everything you can down in summarised Bullet Points. Worked for me in the mocks, got an A1 in Higher History.

Eoindrummer – boards.ie

OMG weather is actually turning kinda good must be the Leaving Cert!!!

Ellen2345 – twitter.com

I’m sick of all this. I just want it to be over. I’m going to Berlin directly after the exams and I’ve found myself thinking about that more than the Leaving Cert. I’m just done with school, I can’t wait to be out of there. It’s all boring me at this stage.

The system is the biggest load of horlicks too. There’s no way I’m gonna get what I need to get done in either English or History. There just isn’t enough time, so it’s not even a true reflection of how good someone is at a subject, it’s just a test of how quickly you can recall information. Complete joke.
    Da shins Kelly – boards.ie

I wish all history could be 20th century American history . . .

Zam – boards.ie

Ugh. i would actually kill to see lady gaga or owl city when they come to ireland. i hate the leaving cert so much.

Martinaaaa – twitter.com

Ugh, I hate that the Cat Laughs is practically at my back door but I can’t go . . . 2 words: Leaving Cert!!!!! Why me??

Aisling K – twitter.com

So, basically I had a great plan of ALL that I was going to study and, as per usual, I haven’t done a damn thing!

Miss Ni C – boards.ie

If the Leaving Cert was a person, what would he/she look like? If you’re stuck, come up with something imaginative and you might just make the person marking your paper smile enough to give you a pass.

Enda – the leavingcert.com

I for one am not worried at all, sure I haven’t studied as much as I could or really should, but now I just really want all this Leaving Cert business to be over with.

Like I feel no pressure or anything, I’m more just annoyed that this is taking so long. And how can 2 or even 6 years worth of work really be justified in 2 or 3 hours of exams?

Tehpok – boards.ie

Im gonna just go over the bits I need for the next few days, then have a frantic study session at the weekend to cover everything else.

I had the weirdest dream last night about English Paper 1...it was in the form of the History exam and I had to write about Beyonces contribution to Lady Gagas Telephone video.

I think I aced it

DKZ, boards ie

Im actually happy its here to be honest, cant wait to get it over and done with.

Although saying that I cant sleep, kept waking up every hour last night

-Finical, boards.ie

Best of luck ladies and gents. Dont think of it as one huge thing. Just think of it as one paper at a time. Its less daunting that way.

That guy, boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

RyanK wrote: »

Quoted for those on mobile.
    It was booooooring. Really boring topics. I chose the freedom essay and ended up talking dialectical materialism and Zionism.
    Dyeti – boards.ie

I’m in a bit of a fluster here – I did the essay on a practical guide for young people of life after school. However, I read that as life after secondary school but before college – will I lose many marks?
    Timbuk2** – boards.ie

Al Gore kinda saved my ass.

Sophie – Allhonours.ie

Thought I did a lot better today than I did in the mocks. Got 134 out of 200 in the mocks, would love to get about 160 out of 200! Felt I wrote very well. Dreading today. Banking on Boland, Literary Genre and Good and Evil in Lear .

SantryRed – boards.ie

Essay was a bit crap, wrote almost 4 pages. Went all apocalyptic on it. Said we need to be optimistic because of the sensationalist media, life isn’t as bad as we think. Went through topics like the environment and technology, and explained how we can solve everything and live a lovely future. It wasn’t very flowing, and it’s not exactly something you’d say at a grad ceremony . . . Damn Al Gore.

Healium – boards.ie

I did ordinary level (should have done higher but my teacher didn’t let me because I’m foreign) and I must say, it was so very easy.

Tibbers – boards.ie

What the hell? It’s not her Leaving Cert, it’s yours. You should’ve complained mate.

That Guy – boards.ie

Well, when you get told your English is not up to a level enough times by a professional, you start to believe it yourself. At 6th year I got another teacher that wanted to move me to higher level, but I didn’t want to risk, too much hassle.

Tibbers – boards.ie

Can you write too much? Like if you go over a certain amount of pages would they dock marks or anything? According to my friends they do but it’s just how long it took me to answer the questions. I did 6 pages for A, 5 pages for B and 7 for the essay. Too much?

Sigi – boards.ie

Extremely annoyed to hear higher level got to do a graduation speech when I did one for my grad only two weeks ago.

Thefirestarter – boards.ie

I managed to quote Joseph Stalin and Albus Dumbledore. I am satisfied.

Piratequeen – boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Why did they quote That_Guy?

He's not doing his LC. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Strange they included That_Guy's exchange with Tibbers tbh over the doing pass English thing. They must've been looking for material to flesh it out, or else to highlight the discrimination in education, etc etc.

Hey journalists! Yes, you. Quote that. ^^^ G'wan. For the craic. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pinkfoot

i wanna be famous!!

too bad i've contributed nothing worth while :(
    ps sorry for everyone that wanted boland i think i jinxed her, cos i'm bad luck and well... i wanted her too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

My blog was mentioned!! :D
    Only a small one and it's quite embarrassing but hey, it's in print!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Also in the Irish Independent...lots of boards quotes...how exciting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Yay me! Fame!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

OmGzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ I iz Famous!1!1!!11 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

We're all famous again! HELOOOOO IRISH TIMES!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0611/1224272269965.html
    : Im absolutely gutted, it was a horrible paper. I knew Longley and Boland off by heart and they didn’t come up. I knew Kavanagh but couldn’t write a whole answer on ordinary to extraordinary. Then Eliot turned out to be a disaster. The rest of the paper wasn’t any better. - Dancingqueen:) – boards.ie

Brutal . . . absolutely frigging brutal . . . damn boland!!

Sophsxxx – boards.ie

Heard the poets: Yeats, Rich, Kavanagh and Eliot . . . hope nobody relied on Boland too much!

RH149 – boards.ie

Paper 2 is over. The relief as you finish. Dunno how anyone could repeat.

Endac –Twitter

Paper 2 was dreadful – thanks for putting in new questions that we’ve never done before and for putting in the hardest poems ever.

Katiemc95 – Twitter

Absolutely raging about Boland! Still, managed 4 pages on Yeats out of the dregs of my memory . . . wasn’t TOO bad.

Neon-Circles – boards.ie

I know so many people that were relying on Longley and Boland. Oh lord.

Soccymonster – boards.ie

While harsh, the decision to put Rich on paper II might signal the intent of the State Exams Commission to move from 90% predictability to a policy of hamstringing those who rely on guesswork rather than hard work.

LutherBlissett – boards.ie

I AM so HAPPY!!!! only did Yeats and Kavanagh and the Yeats question was a dream. Sooo happy I actually did a dance at my chair when I saw my poets . . . You could almost hear the groans of the whole country when Boland didn’t turn up! There will be murder

Blerdiii – boards.ie

YAY FOR ELIOT! Not so yay for not having enough time to finish ANY of my answers.

Saowall – Twitter

I spent the first 20 minutes contemplating eating my paper.

Seanaor – boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hmmm, boards reporting the Irish Times (and the Indo!) reporting boards ... vaguely surreal tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

yaaaay :D

My quote isn't the most articulate but hey, I don't mind :P
    I actually thought it was the one below my username and was like "woah, when did I write that?":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Well well well aren't we popular;
    WHAT STUDENTS ARE SAYING ON THE BLOGS: Thanks to the guy who put up the geography subjects that were tipped! Really helped! - Fiestapower - boards.ie

I am completely drained already. How am I supposed to get through another week? Gah. - Valerie – leaving-cert.net
    I dropped to OL in Geography. I really didn’t want to but I had enough of gambling. I wasn’t prepared for Higher at all. I wasn’t alone though. - Aidandisney – Twitter

I am a geography god! - Joe – Facebook (via theleavingcert.com)

Geography was easier than I thought. Waay easier than the mocks anyway. Next: Leaving Cert Maths Paper 1. PS: Still furious with them for excluding Eavan Boland ! - Ohio_is4_lovers – Twitter

Geography was very nice which was unsurprising! Maths Paper 1 was . . .? I’m not sure - Becky_Healy – Twitter

Maths was blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. - EmmaBlahh – Twitter

Maths went really well there was just one I couldn’t get and no one else could get it either. - Katiemc95 – Twitter

I could do everything and for the first hour and a half I was flying through it with most of seven questions done. Then for the next hour I was practically crying. My answers were weird. I was popping Nurofens like sweets. - Gaga ohlala – boards.ie

Asking sequences and series in question 1 is a disgrace. Not everyone studies that question. - Johnmcdnl – boards.ie

My dad said he just heard on the radio that apparently some of the c parts on the OL paper were of HL standard, and will be marked differently . . . I wouldn’t quote him on that, he’s slightly deaf but it’d make sense? - Ceol18 – boards.ie

After I finish my leaving I want to have a cocktail night. - Laur_atron – Twitter

Exams over until next week . . . Time to rest finallyyyyyyyyy. - Haybrendy – Twitter

Maths was Pure gammy. I have done every single exam paper from 2009 back over and over again, yet somehow they manage to pull the most obscure weird little summies out of nowhere. - Valerie – leaving-cert.net

Maths was a doddle. Tonnes of time, attempted all the questions. So glad I did pass. - Fruglo - Twitter

Maths (OL) was OKish, weird part Cs though, especially for Q2 3, meh, if all else fails, Ill get by on attempt. - Lollypodxo – Twitter

Today was really nice . . . Uh, not the exams part. - Sadhbhy – Twitter

I salute all those heroes who sat an honours maths paper . . . good on you . . . you’re all geniuses!!!! - Ally – allhonours.ie

Ordinary maths? More like rocket science!!!!!! - Jay – Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

60 posts yesterday, and they didn't even quote me once. ;(

• Advertisement
Advertisement