Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to gardening!

Options
  • 10-06-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hey all, i've decided to bite the bullet and see am i in anyway green-fingered!
    I would like to grow some veggies and some shrubs etc. My back yard is a massive and a complete waste of space but from having recently put down fencing to seperate us from the neighbours, we noticed the soil is quite rocky with lots of stone and rock in places, is this a hindrance to growing things?

I would like to plant some shrubs that grow tall at the bottom of the garden as there are houses being built that will look in over my wall, and i bought some sunflower seeds and some pepper and chilli seeds? Am i being too adventurous for a complete novice?

I have some tomato plants that were given to me and i just need to plant them but how!!? Oh and some morning glory and peas too! Any help and guidance folks would be hugely appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You really need to get a gardening book to answer some of your questions, one of the Hessayon books - there is a general gardening book, also veg and shrubs etc.

About the rocks, you need about a spade depth clear of biggish rocks, after that just clear out the ones that are in the way of planting trees etc. If the rocks are scattered they don't matter too much, but if there is a fairly solid layer then you will need to get some of them out. You can eventually clear out rocks from a space for veggies, but its a bit late for this year considering its a new site.

You really need to decide what the garden shape is going to be, will you have lawn, where will paths be, etc. It might be worth getting a bit of advice at this stage from a landscape gardener, even if you then go ahead and do the work yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

Get a few grow bags for your tomato plants and put them in a sunny, sheltered spot. You'll also need a cane for each plant. There will be instructions on the bag. Just keep them watered, train the plants up the canes and pinch out the side shoots as they appear so each plant has just one main stem.

The BBC gardening site is good:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingtomatoes1.shtml

Advertisement