Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to cache gmail emails

• 10-06-2010 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I'd like to be able to read previously accessed gmails offline- just in case i find myself without a connection or wifi.
    Surely this is possible but i just can't seem to find the setting to do it.
    Can anyone help with this.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Can't you use the mail app to download gmail mails?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

You can do this on your laptop/desktop. Will that do, or do you want them on your phone as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

In the gmail app you can set the number of days it'll sync the folders for. Open the menu within the app then choose Settings -> Labels; at the top there should be an option called Number of days to sync. Not sure how high it goes up but should allow you to keep about 1~2 months worth of email on the phone if you really want to. Under that you can choose which labels it applys to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

JohnK wrote: »
    In the gmail app you can set the number of days it'll sync the folders for. Open the menu within the app then choose Settings -> Labels; at the top there should be an option called Number of days to sync. Not sure how high it goes up but should allow you to keep about 1~2 months worth of email on the phone if you really want to. Under that you can choose which labels it applys to.

Yeah i saw that.
    The thing about that is it seems to be an all or nothing thing.
    It downloads everything for the period specified even stuff you don't want- and it could be a lot of data.
    For me i prefer to download headers only generally and if i see an email that i want i get the rest of it.
    So basically i just want to hold on to those particular emails (even when offline) without having to download everything.

Yes it sounds more like a pop3 solution i'm looking for- but with gmail.
    But IIRC the threaded email aspect of gmail never works well on pop3.
    I'll take a look at that again i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Well in that case you could create a label for emails you want to keep on the phone and set it to keep emails with that label sync'd for however long you want. When you get a new email that looks interesting just assign it that label and it'll be pulled down to the phone for whatever period you specified.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've not fully checked it, but I'm sure that previously opened emails are not re downloaded when your have your various data connections turned off so if you've opened it before it will still be in memory. How long a time it remembers them for I'm not sure, but if your not making use of any data connection in the mean time then I doubt they would get deleted from the phone memory.

robinph wrote: »
    I've not fully checked it, but I'm sure that previously opened emails are not re downloaded when your have your various data connections turned off so if you've opened it before it will still be in memory. How long a time it remembers them for I'm not sure, but if your not making use of any data connection in the mean time then I doubt they would get deleted from the phone memory.

I think that's the (all or nothing) sync setting the other poster is referring to above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Hi folks, well I went and bought myself a Desire and have to say I am loving it so far. However I have one question regarding gamil.
    I am currently getting my gmail emails onto my phone, but I would also like to access them on my pc also. Is there a setting that will allow this please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

The list of 'gmails' that you see on your phone is the self-same list that you see on the PC, so there shouldn't be an issue.

Test it - delete an old mail from your inbox on your PC, then go check mail in your inbox on your Desire...

(there may be some issues with how the Synch is setup on your phone, I'm not 100%, but this is how I have it setup)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I noticed today there seemed to be some separation between the two.

I read a mail using the gmail app on the phone. Went to the pc later this afternoon and the nail was still marked as unread on the pc. Have not looked further into it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    I noticed today there seemed to be some separation between the two.

I read a mail using the gmail app on the phone. Went to the pc later this afternoon and the nail was still marked as unread on the pc. Have not looked further into it yet.

Hasn't been like that for me, they stay fully synced but I have the sync option on on the power widget so maybe check that.

beans wrote: »
    The list of 'gmails' that you see on your phone is the self-same list that you see on the PC, so there shouldn't be an issue.

Test it - delete an old mail from your inbox on your PC, then go check mail in your inbox on your Desire...

(there may be some issues with how the Synch is setup on your phone, I'm not 100%, but this is how I have it setup)

Hi.
    Do you know if it's possible to delete emails completely on the phone (as opposed to resorting to the pc).
    I've tried deleting emails from trash on the phone but they always come back on connecting again.

Advertisement