Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens If you fail English?

• 10-06-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

So I think I failed Higher Level English. Does that mean I failed the leaving Cert? I can't write fast like many people can. I write in an awkward way stopping me from writing everything down quickly and neatly. I feel terrible because everybody has been saying how much they wrote down for paper two and I didn't even get around to the poet section :(

I finished the unseen poetry section but feel it just wasn't enough. Maybe I should've just done ordinary level instead. My teacher said I was capable for higher level but I have problems with my time management. It's not that I panic in exams, its that I forget a lot of the material we revised in class. I don't get how people can write 5 pages and still have the memory to store all the other sections of stuff to do on the paper.

I tried giving everything a go but I just felt it was all too unfinished when the time was up.

Is there anyone with advice to someone who might have failed English but still wants to get into college somehow.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

I am afraid you get shipped off to Africa. Sorry bud :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

CasualLiKE wrote: »
    So I think I failed Higher Level English. Does that mean I failed the leaving Cert?

I dont think so- AFAIK its only if you fail maths now you fail the LC..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

You can still get into college as far as i know..

I dont think so- AFAIK its only if you fail maths now you fail the LC..

Not true - Friend of mine researched that because of the fear of failing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

So I think I failed Higher Level English. Does that mean I failed the leaving Cert? I can't write fast like many people can. I write in an awkward way stopping me from writing everything down quickly and neatly. I feel terrible because everybody has been saying how much they wrote down for paper two and I didn't even get around to the poet section

Last year i got a b2 in honors and i think i only got 6 pages down in paper two, its not about how much you wrote, its about how much you know.
    And don't worry about the prescribed poetry bit, its only 50marks thats one eighth of the paper, i bet you did fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

I doubt you failed it. For my pre I didn't get to finish both papers and failed the essay part but at the end I still got a C.
    Don't worry, I'd say you did grand.
    Just focus on your other subjects for now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

No you don't fail the leaving if you fail english or maths. It just restricts the courses you can get into. Make sure you pass your Irish because some colleges (e.g Cork Institute of Technology and Dublin City University to name just 2 will accept a pass in either english or irish) but it depends what course you want to do. Plus some colleges will accept an E in higher level if you compensate by getting a B instead of a C in another subject or getting 3 Cs instead of 2. It's in the small print in their prospectuses but I'm not going rooting for it now :p. Have a good look at your course choices after the exams and before the end of june and leave yourself options whatever the results in august.

EDIT: You won't get points for a higher E. That's just for satisfying entry requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CasualLiKE

Thanks for all the support guys. There is still I hope. I just want to finish my exams in a positive mind set -- and not worry about getting shipped off to Africa :rolleyes:

When you think you done bad it can be pretty disheartening when other people talk about how well they done etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I don't think you can fail the whole Leaving Cert if you fail any one subject these days, though I think it used to be that way. In any case, as far as I remember, Wikipedia says that Irish is the only fully compulsory subject and so I imagine Irish is the only subject that would fall into that category anyway.
    Don't worry about the prescribed poetry - theoretically, you can not bother doing it and still get an A2 as it's only worth 12.5%!

When you think you done bad it can be pretty disheartening when other people talk about how well they done etc...

I know the feeling all too well.. Most of my friends are really smart and always get higher grades than me.. Then they're not the most sympathetic people when you do bad.. Generally I'd just get mocked..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Paddi Jones

I wouldn't worry mate, I wrote 6/7 in pages in total on paper 2, didn't get one section finished, but I'm not worried I'll fail, I attemped the important questions one of which the poerty is not annd if you think about it how many people only studied Boland and had to forget about the poetry all together?

I know what you mean about having smart friends, but honestly your grades don't make any difference to your friendship, just because they get higher than you does not mean they are smarter, but rather they are more organised and have better time keeping.

Seriously chill chill. It'll all be fine.

Advertisement