Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne - Where to live

Options
  • 10-06-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Thinking of moving to Melbourne on WHV due to no work here. Is there particular areas that Irish/British people live? Carlton seems like a popular area!

Would people recommend Melbourne or Sydney?

Cheers

Jockey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

jockey#1 wrote: »
    Thinking of moving to Melbourne on WHV due to no work here. Is there particular areas that Irish/British people live? Carlton seems like a popular area!

Cheers

Jockey

Hey mate,

I've been to Sydney, not Melbourne, but I've heard fantastic things about Melbourne. Suppose to be a more chilled version of Sydney with more parks, green areas and much friendlier people. Sydney appears to be more popular with the Irish, Melbourne more so with the Brits.

Sydney is a cracking city though. The nicest areas are in the east of the city - places like Double Bay, Bondi, Randwick, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Cheers

Jockey
    Noble Park mate or Sunshine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Cheers

Jockey

St.Kilda and the surrounding suburbs are your only man for this. Backpacker Central.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Richmond is were all the cool people live ;)

But yea if you want to hang out with other Irish / British people then St.Kilda is the area for you.

(Why anyone would travel half way round the world to do this is still beyond me but hey each to their own.)

Personally I love living in Richmond and would also recommend Fitzroy. I really like St.Kilda but think that most of the best spots are the North of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

Agree with the other posters about Saint Kilda and surrounds. Prahran, Balaclava etc are well situated - close to the StK nightlife and easy to access town via the trams.

Would deffo rater Melbourne to live than Sydney, but i know people who feel the opposite. Its a 50-50 thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Places to live in Melbourne - I think if you can rent in the section of suburbs to the North/North-West of the city you're doing well. Those would include Carlton, Carlton North, Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Richmond, Northcote - these are all burbs with a lot going on and relatively easy access to the CBD on trams or trains. Out west, Footscray is a bit of a hole but the rent might be cheaper and there are a lot of cool Asian supermarkets. Some of these are more student focussed due to proximity to the Universities - doesn't mean much other than the competition for really cheap rent might be tough, ads for a room to let written by Asian folks may only take other Asian folks (there's a lot of overseas students who only want to share with other students from their country).

St Kilda is expensive - I like Prahran personally, but there's definitiely a different 'feel' to St Kilda / Prahran (pronounced parenne in an aussie accent) than to the others I listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Have to agree with previous posts, i've lived in Melbourne and Sydney, definately prefer melbourne, and richmond is a great area to live in, minutes by train / tram from city centre and the beaches of st kilda and brighton, chapel st and swan st for shopping bars and cafes and the MCG across the rd.

I want to go back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Carlton and Carlton North are great areas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Why not move to the UK, cheaper air fare and you can go home to mammy and daddy on the weekends. Plus plenty of brits to hang around with!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Thanks for all your suggestions. Definitely decided on Melbourne anyway over Sydney.

As for location think it will be either St. Kilda or Richmond based on everyones thoughts here and my research online but guess it will come down to cost at the end of the day and where I will be working!

• Advertisement
Advertisement