Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Maths Log Tables

• 10-06-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

I haven't used or seen these things. So few questions do they have:
    • Product rule
    • Quotient rule
    • Chain rule
    • -b+bsquared - 4ac over 2a (if you get me)
    Could anyone be so kind if these are in the Log table, tell me the pages so I'll be able to fly into the maths tomorrow. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

The first 3 are on page 25 under calculus. By the way calculus in irish is calcalas . Says so in the logs. Last one is on page 20 top of the page under 'algebra'

WARNING: I bought these in september and they were issuing new ones after that because of the errors in the first edition. I presume they just changed symbols where the errors were but if my pages can be confirmed that would be cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

Yeah they do and you can check the contents page on the front.
    I think Calculus is on pg 25.
    not too sure about the -b formula, algebra section I guess.
    we should know that formula off by heart from JC anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

pathway33 wrote: »
    The first 3 are on page 25 under calculus. By the way calculus in irish is calcalas . Says so in the logs
    Nice one! I know the the other one anyways, but you never know I could go blank or something. :pac:

oh no. you won't have seen my warning

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

All the calculus formulas are on page 25 and 26.
    The quadratic formula is in the algebra section on page 20.
    Trigonometry from page 13 to 16.
    Geometry and Co-ordinate geometry formulas are in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

those log tables will save my ass in maths and physics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Does anyone know if the Compound Interest thing is in the tables? If so, what page? I couldn't find it :S

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Dot product is in there along with, sequences and series, all the circle and line stuff, binomial theorem, inverse of a matrix, love them!!

They are all found pretty close together, i THINK it's all before the calculus pages, so after that you've gone too far, best of luck! :)

I heard they'll be handing out both the old and the new log tables but only for this year.
    Is that true?

Aoifey! wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Compound Interest thing is in the tables? If so, what page? I couldn't find it :S

compound interest is under financial mathematics on page 30. Read the paragraph at the top of page 30 for what i and t are

edit : and the paragraph at the bottom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

compound interest is under financial mathematics on page 30. Read the paragraph at the top of page 30 for what i and t are

edit : and the paragraph at the bottom

Thank you SO much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I heard they'll be handing out both the old and the new log tables but only for this year.
    Is that true?

What exactly would be the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Is that true?

No. We get NOTHING the new log tables.

What exactly would be the point?

Well I guess they're for those who prefer the old ones since they're more familiar with it and know where everything is. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Is that true?

No. Here's a direct quote from the notice sent out by SEC in May 2009:

"It will be used in the 2010 examinations and subsequent years, and the older Mathematics Tables booklet will no longer be provided."

...and repeated again in the notice they sent out in Auigust 2009:

"I refer to the State Examinations Commission Circular No. S.56/09 (copy enclosed) and I now enclose three copies of the new Formulae and Tables booklet. This new booklet will be used in the 2010 examinations and thereafter, and the older Mathematics Tables booklet will no longer be provided."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

they hand them out don't they we don't have to bring them in do we

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Finical wrote: »
    I haven't used or seen these things. So few questions do they have:
    • Product rule
    • Quotient rule
    • Chain rule
    • -b+bsquared - 4ac over 2a (if you get me)
    Could anyone be so kind if these are in the Log table, tell me the pages so I'll be able to fly into the maths tomorrow. :D
    Calculus page 25 for product, chain and quotient rule.
    On the blue tables, the -b formula is actually featured as a graphic on the cover, but I wouldn't depend on that, because I've the old blue ones and not the new brown ones. :P
    WARNING: I bought these in september and they were issuing new ones after that because of the errors in the first edition. I presume they just changed symbols where the errors were but if my pages can be confirmed that would be cool
    Nope, no changes to page numbers AFAIK.
    kieran--f wrote: »
    those log tables will save my ass in maths and physics
    Don't be too merry, the tables are as good as your knowledge of where everything is. You won't have time to leaf through them when you find some formula you're looking for is not in the section you expect. Some formula are not included (particularly formulae in circular motion, and formulae that need to be proved in general). The mechanics section is a tad confusing.

johnmcdnl wrote: »

They hand them out. You are not allowed bring your own in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

johnmcdnl wrote: »

They are provided.

Advertisement