Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gears slipping after a month

• 10-06-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm having some troubles with my gears on my giant defy 3 roadie. I go to change down a gear and it seems to work, but then a few seconds later, it changes again. It 's kinda like I was in say 2-4 and wanted to go to 2-3, but instead mistakenly moved the gear change to 2-2. The first change went to 2-3 and then seconds later moved to 2-2. But this is happening a lot, going up and down, and unless I don't know my own strength, I doubt I'm moving up 2 gears every time.

I've only had the bike a month (200km done, taken out about dozen times). Is it too early for the settling in period to be over? Should I reasonably expect to be able to go back to my lbs and say 'here, fix this as part of the first service'. I don't want to go back too early, then find that a whole load of niggly things start happening and it turns out the bedding in period was far from over. I'm far from being able to adjust derailleurs or drive trains myself, or even what to look for (to be honest, I'm not 100% sure what the derailleur even is) and while it's not debilitating to my cycling, it is becoming a pita.

My main issue is that the lbs are up to their eyes, so if I drop this in on Saturday, I'm going to be without a bike for at least a week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

This is common. The gear cables stretch a bit after use and so throw off the alignment. It's easy to fix, but you can also bring it back to the shop and get them to do it. Any decent shop will do it for free, if they sold you the bike.

Skip to the http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/ section on cable adjustment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Assuming they're indexed gears, try adjusting the barrel connector on the respective gear lever to tighten/loosen the cable.

There're plenty of video tutorials on gear adjstment online. I wouldn't bring it to a shop, but then again I know how to fix my gears too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks Gavin, elbastardo. The video explained it well and since I already knew about bicycle tutor, I'm not sure why I didn't look there first. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow, as I haven't got the ability to do this without actually riding the bike around the neighbourhood - I need to get one of them bike repair stands - wonder if this would work in a pinch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

That bike stand would not be practical for doing repairs. Ideally you want something that allows you to move around the bike and easily turn the cranks with access to brake and gear levers.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I think if I'm going to get into even basic maintenance at home, I should just swallow the 100 odd quid it's going to cost for a low range work stand. My lbs has this one for 130

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

corblimey wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I think if I'm going to get into even basic maintenance at home, I should just swallow the 100 odd quid it's going to cost for a low range work stand. My lbs has this one for 130

Big stands are useful (particularly for cleaning) but not essential.

For basic maintenance or even a complete bike build you don't need any more than a small stand like this.

I've been meaning to get one of those stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

You don't really need a bikestand to adjust your gears. I maintain loads of bikes (friends family and my own) and have never owned one.
    I have been meaning to get one for years though.:)

You can turn the bike upside down to adjust the gears. Just be careful with your brake levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Lumen wrote: »
    Big stands are useful (particularly for cleaning) but not essential.

For basic maintenance or even a complete bike build you don't need any more than a small stand like this.

Sorry for the hijacking but when the issue of workstands came up I had to. I recently tried 1 of them Minoura stands, doesn't work with a Spesh Allez Sport as the chain stays and seat stays aren't the traditional straight ones. I recall seeing workstands that resemble turbo trainers but on a much lighter weight scale. Anyone know what I'm talking about and if so, know where I'd pick one up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sorry for the hijacking but when the issue of workstands came up I had to. I recently tried 1 of them Minoura stands, doesn't work with a Spesh Allez Sport as the chain stays and seat stays aren't the traditional straight ones. I recall seeing workstands that resemble turbo trainers but on a much lighter weight scale. Anyone know what I'm talking about and if so, know where I'd pick one up?
    This is what you're talking about:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28662

I see the point, but for another twenty or thirty euro you'll get a proper stand.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »

I see the point, but for another twenty or thirty euro you'll get a proper stand.

That's exactly the type of thing I had in mind alright. Didn't realise it'd be that pricey though so may re-think it alright and get a decent stand. Seen some nice Park Tools ones in 53 Degrees North in Blanch. Thanks though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That is actually kind of pricey. It's topeak and their stuff is pricey (though great quality).

Here's the Minoura one you may have been looking at:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Minoura_DS30BLT_Workstand/5300003799/

Far more reasonable price when compared to a full workstand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

seamus wrote: »

Why not just use a Turbo Trainer as a workstand and kill two birds with one stone?

Ah yeah, that's exactly what I'd be after. Cheers for that!

Although now I've the larger proper stands in my head! Damn this money spending stuff...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

If you have a shed or a garage then put 2 ropes up. Hang the bike from the handlebars on one and then hook the saddle around the second rope. Hey presto: workstand.

papac wrote: »
    You don't really need a bikestand to adjust your gears. I maintain loads of bikes (friends family and my own) and have never owned one.
    I have been meaning to get one for years though.:)

You can turn the bike upside down to adjust the gears. Just be careful with your brake levers.

Re-hijacking....

To adjust my derailleur, I need to go up and down through the gears to check for where it's loose/tight. I assume my bike is pretty standard in that the gear levers are basically on top of the handlebars. So if I put my bike upside down, they'll be practically on the floor, and long way from the pedals which I'll have to keep pumping with my hand in order to change gears. I just don't see how you're doing that, tbh.

Why not just use a Turbo Trainer as a workstand and kill two birds with one stone?

That's what I do at the moment, but it's not ideal because the damn thing is heavy for my puny arms and I gotta change my skewer to use it.

As for the rope idea: LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

corblimey wrote: »
    Re-hijacking....

To adjust my derailleur, I need to go up and down through the gears to check for where it's loose/tight. I assume my bike is pretty standard in that the gear levers are basically on top of the handlebars. So if I put my bike upside down, they'll be practically on the floor, and long way from the pedals which I'll have to keep pumping with my hand in order to change gears. I just don't see how you're doing that, tbh.

In a workstand the gear changers will still be the same distance from the pedals.I.e a few feet.
    The fact that the shifters are near the floor is a minor enough inconvenience in my experience.

Its easy enough to turn the pedals and change gear at the same time.Sometimes you need to put a couple of bit of wood or something under the bars to protect the cables.

The upsidedown technique is a good one to learn even if you do get a workstand as you can do side-of-the-road adjustments in a bind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I see the X-tools prep stand is currently GBP46. I used one of these in rothar.ie some time ago. Easy to set up on. Folds flat for storage...

Edit: Damn! Went and bought one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm waiting on one of these, comes in handy if your living in an apartment and havent got much room to work with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I Have one of these;
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/LifeLine_Spindoctor_Deluxe_Workstand/5360009217/

I find it very handy. very easy to adj. gears and work on BB's etc.
    The clamp rachet mechanism is plastic, so not very durable, but fine for home use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

One thing to bear in mind is that using a clamp on a carbon fibre frame is risky as it could potentially damage/crush the tube that you clamp to. The same applies if clamping a carbon seatpost. You can work around it, of course - one option is to have a separate aluminium seatpost that you swap into a carbon frame when working on the bike and clamp to that.

Even Park Tools, whose latest clamp head allows you to adjust the clamping pressure with a threaded rod and is therefore more versatile than many, warns in their online instructions that it might not be "appropriate" for carbon frames - or some words to that effect which essentially mean "don't sue us if you damage your bike".

I took a look at stands in the LBS and Halfords yesterday and just couldn't justify the 120 price tag at the moment. So I followed papac's sage advice and turned the bike over when I got home. Took me a few minutes to adjust to the new way of looking at my bike :) but managed to fix the slipping according to the Bicycle Tutor vid, so thanks to all.

Still want a workstand though :rolleyes:

Here?

cdaly_ wrote: »

That's the one although I might wait and see what you think of it, cdaly? Also, if I buy one thing from CRC, I've got to buy like 5 things :D

So, one month later and I'm well happy with the stand. Got it shipped to work, strapped it to the bike to bring home.

Stores very neatly in the corner of the shed. 1 minute to set up and get the bike mounted. About the same to take down and put away.

I've used it about 5 or 6 times thus far for quick gear adjustments or for a full service and wash.

Recommended...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I Have one of these;
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/LifeLine_Spindoctor_Deluxe_Workstand/5360009217/

I find it very handy. very easy to adj. gears and work on BB's etc.
    The clamp rachet mechanism is plastic, so not very durable, but fine for home use.
    I have that stand which I am looking to sell as I am moving. As Lapierre says the ratchet mechanism isn't great and so is less than firm (you wouldn't be taking pedals off with the bike in the stand, it would just rotate) but it holds the bike up fine in the horizontal for other adjustments. Wiggle have suggested to me they may replace the ratchet under warranty but as it does still work fine in general I never got around to this. €40, Donnybrook if anyone is interested.

blorg wrote: »
    I have that stand which I am looking to sell as I am moving. As Lapierre says the ratchet mechanism isn't great and so is less than firm (you wouldn't be taking pedals off with the bike in the stand, it would just rotate) but it holds the bike up fine in the horizontal for other adjustments. Wiggle have suggested to me they may replace the ratchet under warranty but as it does still work fine in general I never got around to this. €40, Donnybrook if anyone is interested.

Blorg, I'd take that off your hands for €40 if you reckon it's gonna be cool for cleaning and the odd mechanical issue. I'm a long way off changing pedals so that shouldn't be an issue.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Crippens1 wrote: »
    If you have a shed or a garage then put 2 ropes up. Hang the bike from the handlebars on one and then hook the saddle around the second rope. Hey presto: workstand.

This works the grandest for me too. Bit of a problem with stability but it's a quick and cheap option if you need just need to tune your gears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Blorg, I'd take that off your hands for €40 if you reckon it's gonna be cool for cleaning and the odd mechanical issue. I'm a long way off changing pedals so that shouldn't be an issue.:D
    It is fine for that, I use it myself for fixing stuff. Stuff like pedals you are better off IMO with the bike on the floor, you need a lot of leverage. I'll send you a PM.

Advertisement