Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much did you write, on average?

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

4 for everything and about 1/2 page for unseen which i barely finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

iWeeze wrote: »

Thank you sir, for putting minds at ease. Would you say a lot of stuff you got that was in the region of 3 pages was of good quality?
    There genuinely isn't a "norm".

I've seen lots of excellent answers in the 2.5 / 3 page category ... clear, focused, a point in every paragraph, a relevant quote to drive each point home.

And I've seen 3 page answers where it was obvious that the student was trying desperately to make one or two ideas stretch to make an answer.

To quote the old tag: it's not the size, it's what you do with it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 vicksterchick

Kersmash wrote: »
    I write on average 7 or 8 words a line.

I average at about fourteen to sixteen a line. :pac:

unknown13 wrote: »
    Why do you honestly even care.
    callaway92 wrote: »
    why do you honestly care to quote my post

Take it outside!

pillowfight.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

Just out of curiosity. :p

My handwriting is really small and scrunched up, so I'm kind of worried they'll think I didn't write enough. I wrote two pages for the single text (Wuthering Heights), a little over two pages for the comparative study (Literary Genre), about three quarters of a page for the unseen poetry, and two pages for Yeats.

I know it might not seem like a lot, but if my handwriting was a "normal" size, it would probably double the page amount.

How about you guys?

I love you. I wrote about the same, and ive been getting 'oh my god, youre gonna fail' from all my classmates. I thought i was the only one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Paper 2, about 14!! Paper 1, possibly 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 vicksterchick

seanaor wrote: »
    I love you. I wrote about the same, and ive been getting 'oh my god, youre gonna fail' from all my classmates. I thought i was the only one!

I was getting it from my teacher, too! :p He kept saying, "You really need to pull up your socks and start writing more." And I was thinking, "I'm writing loads, I just have really small handwriting!"

Oy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

5 pages Yeats.
    5 pages Comparative, would have been more but needed to rush to King Lear.
    2 pages King Lear, BALLS! I wrote a little plan about how it would end would this give me a few marks?
    3/4's of a page for unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

4 1/2 for Lear.

5 1/2 for Comparative

1 1/2 for Unseen

4 1/2 for Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

There genuinely isn't a "norm".

I've seen lots of excellent answers in the 2.5 / 3 page category ... clear, focused, a point in every paragraph, a relevant quote to drive each point home.

And I've seen 3 page answers where it was obvious that the student was trying desperately to make one or two ideas stretch to make an answer.

To quote the old tag: it's not the size, it's what you do with it! ;)

1 page essay- 'A' standard? To short to get an A??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

4 for lear
    5 and a half for comparitive.
    3 for poetry and 1 for unseen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• 4.5 for Lear
    • 3 for comparative (I really suck at comparative)
    • 3.5 for poetry
    • 0.75 for Unseen

Did grand on Paper 1. Hoping to maintain my C1 from the mocks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

english is my favorite subject, :D so i filled a booklet, and another 4, all relevant and focused! hoping for that a1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Lear - 4
    Compar - 4
    Unseen - 1.5
    Yeats - 1.5 :-(

Hopefully my P1 will save meeee!

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    1 page essay- 'A' standard? To short to get an A??
    I honestly can't answer that, lad, you know I can't ... I haven't read it and I won't be examining it.

All I can say really is that it would have to be exceptionally good.

But one answer or essay isn't going to dictate your final grade anyway, it will be the overall mark from 2 full papers.

Finical wrote: »
    5 pages Yeats.
    5 pages Comparative, would have been more but needed to rush to King Lear.
    2 pages King Lear, BALLS! I wrote a little plan about how it would end would this give me a few marks?
    3/4's of a page for unseen.

Anyone? Like I done bullet points 'cause I knew I had to move on timewise.

Anyone? Like I done bullet points 'cause I knew I had to move on timewise.

yah i am sure they will...they will mark everything on your paper, bullet points were good idea..better than writing nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I wrote 1pg good quality personal response for Unseen, Im not sure if thats enough for 20 marks though?

for the unseen i decided to compare her philosophical tone to boland....just to give her a shout :D

stainluss wrote: »
    I wrote 1pg good quality personal response for Unseen, Im not sure if thats enough for 20 marks though?
    Pretty sure it is, aslong as your writing isn't gigantic. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

stainluss wrote: »
    Yeah Id say so. I wrote half a page in total in the mocks for the unseen because I was running out of time, and it got 16/20, so Im sure you can get 20 with a page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

i wrote 6 for Yeats, 7.5 for comparitive, 7 for Lear and 1 for the unseen poetry. 21.5 in total, quite happy!!

2 pages King Lear, BALLS!
    You wrote two pages about King Lear's ba ... oh, wait! :o
    I wrote a little plan about how it would end would this give me a few marks?
    It certainly won't do you any harm, might well glean you a couple of marks if it makes sense.

(Caveat: I haven't corrected LC in a few years, but I doubt basic things have changed that much.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I got about 5 pages out of my Yeats essay, which I was really pleased with. 4 and a half for general vision and viewpoint and only two and three quarters for King Lear. I spent way too long on my Yeats essay and didn't get to the unseen. Pretty disappointed with how I did. I was thrilled with my Yeats essay, the rest not so much. I really want to get an A1 or A2. English is by far my best subject, but I think I've blown it really.

Paper 1 was much, much better. Hopefully the quality in that will boost me up to a decent mark.

Ok, I'm going to be a right backstard and lock this, because I'm tired of watching people driving themselves cuckoo comparing length!! It's getting like the showers in a rugby club around here!! *

Quality is far more important than quantity!

It's not the size, it's what you do with it!

How many different ways can I say it?!

* Ooh, that's gonna get me shouted at!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement