Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Map Work

• 10-06-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

How do you give a 6 figure grid reference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I need help with this too!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Every 2mm=1(the last number in the refrence) e.g N43 74, to narrow down would be N435 743

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

so could I use a ruler to measure the cm?

James_LWAU wrote: »
    so could I use a ruler to measure the cm?

Best way is to find the landmark and use a ruler (keep it flush) and just mark with pencil on the side of the map where it is then measure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

LATAS
    (Letter - Along top - Along side)
    Put down the letter, look for the point and find the vertical point on the bottom numbers and then the point on the side of the map. It can be a rough estimate.

• Advertisement

Yeah sorry sorry it's not every cm! It's every 2 mm, but you can just take an educated guess yourself, aslong as your within one or 2 its grand.

I dunno this makes no sense....And I don't know how to do ariel sketch maps either.

fufureida wrote: »
    I dunno this makes no sense....And I don't know how to do ariel sketch maps either.

OK, you know the lines on your map yes? Each box is 2cm big and represents 1 KM. There is a number beside the line. A basic grid refrence would be N 88 43. A six figure refrence is when you add a number to the end of each to make it more accurate. So if the feature you were pointing out was half-way between 88-90 it would be 885 and if the other was just a bit up above the 43 line it would be 432, so the six figure reference would be N 885 432.

Oh... I see...

I'm gonna practice one now

thankies!!

Advertisement