Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UPDATED] Reids Furniture close 4 branches

Options
  • 10-06-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

another thread was closed, but i disgree with mods as this is a consumer issue.

Reids suddenly closed 4 branches in sligo, galway, limerick & cork today without any announcement or explanation to either customers or staff.

many people have deposits with reids - how safe are these deposits and are there any guarantees that outstanding orders will be delivered? Customers of the closed branches have not been informed of the status of their orders or deposits. - If a fault develops with a product, do they have to trek to dublin or even scotland to have it rectified?

Will this be another jim langan or furniture depot?

It certainly should be a warning to those that may be putting a deposit on furniture with the remaining reids stores - what guarantee are they giving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Read this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055459776

It's about what happened when Land of Leather got liquidated.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/News_+_Research/Press%20Releases/Land_of_Leather_administration_.html

In the case of Land of Leather
    Customers who paid in full or placed deposits on goods, or, are awaiting delivery of goods from the trader can contact the administrator in the UK, Deloitte LLP, on its dedicated hotline 0044 800 496 0868 or through their email enquiry address lol@deloitte.co.uk. Deloitte urges customers to use the hotline, email enquiry address and website, rather than visit the stores, unless it is to pay the balance on goods ready for delivery.
    I've bolded the bit that is applicable here.

So, in short, anyone who has given Reids any money may get it back, but only after the banks, etc, get their money back first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

91011 wrote: »
    another thread was closed, but i disgree with mods as this is a consumer issue.

With the previous threads, it was posted as a news story and nothing else.

This thread is highlighting the consumer issues involved, therefore it is OK.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the_syco wrote: »
    Read this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055459776

It's about what happened when Land of Leather got liquidated.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/News_+_Research/Press%20Releases/Land_of_Leather_administration_.html

In the case of Land of Leather

I've bolded the bit that is applicable here.

So, in short, anyone who has given Reids any money may get it back, but only after the banks, etc, get their money back first.
    but remember that reids have not gone bust like land of leather they have just closed some of their stores probably to secure the company for the future, better some jobs and stores saved than all be lost and closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 claytho

This seems to be what has happened. I know somebody that works for them so i have an inside track,
    It is said that there was announments months ago that they were reviewing the company ,so the staff did kinda know something was up. they also have forfilled any orders,the company is still very much trading.they also appear to be financially sound with there new backers
    they seem to have had to make a tough business call. which may get the company through tough times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

could we have a repeat of Jim Langan's on our hands>

• Advertisement

It is very doubtful, if you search under Reids new backers Steinhoff http://www.steinhoffinternational.com/group-operations/by-brand/

Theyv more money than a small country. they seem to be just finding there feet after the take over. has anyone been to one of there stores lately?
    Im just about to buy in Dublin,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

claytho wrote: »
    It is very doubtful, if you search under Reids new backers Steinhoff http://www.steinhoffinternational.com/group-operations/by-brand/

Theyv more money than a small country. they seem to be just finding there feet after the take over. has anyone been to one of there stores lately?
    Im just about to buy in Dublin,:D

I bought something off them end of may. Everything gets delivered to scotland first and then to branches.

my order arrived in Scotland 2nd Aug and then it took until 19th Aug to arrive in the naas road branch. How it took that long to get from scotland to branch was amazing. When I mean the 19th it was 6pm in evening when they rang to say it was ready for collection which is a bit late in the day. Technically it was ready on the 19th but more like 20th in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Trampas wrote: »
    I bought something off them end of may. Everything gets delivered to scotland first and then to branches.

my order arrived in Scotland 2nd Aug and then it took until 19th Aug to arrive in the naas road branch. How it took that long to get from scotland to branch was amazing. When I mean the 19th it was 6pm in evening when they rang to say it was ready for collection which is a bit late in the day. Technically it was ready on the 19th but more like 20th in reality.
    they are probably saving money sending stuff in containers rather than on trucks and on ferries and there could be a delay in filling a container and also delays waiting for ships heading the right direction.

Yeah more than likey they have to fill containers. i supppoze these are tough times,and to stay around at all is a good sign. I think ill give them a try because i havent seen anything of the same quality anywhere else.I will get back with my experience, hopefully it gos well.i know what i want its fabric and takes 6 weeks from the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 snocomber

Reid Furnature shops in both Stillorgan and Naas Road closed their doors this evening........trucks clearing shops this evening in Stillorgan at 11pm!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Upptowngirl

I believe that all orders are safe, Reid are restructuring. Blancharstown and Airside are still trading and looking after balances for the other Dublin and Country stores. Customers will still get their furniture. If in doubt call their customer service on 0818332727 for a further update.. I have an order with them and I am due to receive mid October.

Advertisement