Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I upgrade my DVD to Blu...

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I stuck with DVDs for Le Samourai, Yi Yi, Crazed Fruit and Mask without a Face as I still haven't been able to sort out and/or afford a multi region player. My brother is heading over to the States next month so must start working on logistics to transport a player back ;)

I'm not even sure if our player is multi region actually. Can't you put in a code on some players that makes them multi-region or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭rednik

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm not even sure if our player is multi region actually. Can't you put in a code on some players that makes them multi-region or something?

If only it was that easy, normally it is a complicated process with a particular remote.

I bought 3 blus in the sale, Heaven's Gate, The Game and On the waterfront.

I bought my MR blu ray player from these, delivered to my brother in the UK.

http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

For DVDs, yes, but usually not for Blu-rays.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah just after doing some googling there and I see that now. Oh well, I'll have to grab a multi-region player down the line so or import a US one I guess.

Cheapest and best way to get an American player is ask someone heading over to grab you one and throw it in their luggage. I got a cheap Toshiba player for 60 or so dollars and my parents brought it back. Works like a charm and still going strong

Cheapest and best way to get an American player is ask someone heading over to grab you one and throw it in their luggage. I got a cheap Toshiba player for 60 or so dollars and my parents brought it back. Works like a charm and still going strong

It just so happens my brother is working in california for 2 months. Would there not be a big risk of customs nabbing him for duty though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You could probably order a multi-region player from mrmdvd.com using Parcel Motel.

If you do order ensure it is multi region for both blu/dvd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Samsung models you can at least the 3D Blu Ray one I bought. If you google make and model number on blu ray player you can find out how to multi region it.

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Samsung models you can at least the 3D Blu Ray one I bought. If you google make and model number on blu ray player you can find out how to multi region it.

Have you played region A locked Blu-rays in it? Very few Blu-ray players can switch Blu-ray regions. My Toshiba can and people were buying two and three of them as backups.

McLoughlin wrote: »

Ours is a samsung 3D one and I can only find ways to make it play multi region dvds not blu-rays.

It just so happens my brother is working in california for 2 months. Would there not be a big risk of customs nabbing him for duty though?

Mine came through with no issues though the bags were opened and checked which is something that happens to most big electronic devices brought back in luggage.

Not sure if its any help, Mickeroo, but there's a workaround to bypass the region restriction that apparently works on many Region A Blu-ray discs, including Criterion. I think you need a Panasonic player, though.

http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622962

Have you played region A locked Blu-rays in it? Very few Blu-ray players can switch Blu-ray regions. My Toshiba can and people were buying two and three of them as backups.

Yeah have a couple of region A 3d Blus worked fine after I put in the code on my samsung player.

Cheers Prof, ours is a Samsung so probably won't work. Have been on to my brother in the states to bring one back, seems like the cheapest option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I just saw that a Predator 3D Blu-ray is being released in later this year. I'm not interested in that, but just wondering what the current Blu-ray is like? I already have it on DVD and it looks good, but I was planning on getting it on Blu-ray at some stage.

The last Blu-ray of Predator looked like a wax museum. One of the worst Blu-rays ever produced. Fox took a massive sh*t all over the film. I assume the forthcoming Blu-ray is more of the same. So avoid at all costs.

Either stick with the DVD and wait for a remaster or get the 2008 Blu-ray. It looks crap but it was a crap looking film to begin with.

The Predator 3D Blu-ray is been put out be the same crowd that did I Robot 3D its a quick cheap conversion so I don't hold out much hope for it but I'll still will get it just to see.

3D conversions of older films can work if the work is put into it like Disneys recent re issued 3D films and Titanic, Top Gun & Jurassic Park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Jumboman wrote: »

Very very bad cheap release avoid. Allot of these german conversions are very bad.

• Advertisement

I just saw that a Predator 3D Blu-ray is being released in later this year. I'm not interested in that, but just wondering what the current Blu-ray is like? I already have it on DVD and it looks good, but I was planning on getting it on Blu-ray at some stage.

It was announced at Comic Con that the new 3D/2D release is a new transfer.

Two of the greatest films ever made are finially hitting Blu-Ray over here this October.

BFI are bringing Kurosawa's Seven Samurai to Blu-Ray this October 21 and in a pretty snazzy looking steelbook.

4871_tn.jpg

And after about two dozen release date changes it seems that The Wicker Man is finally coming out on October 14.
    Wicker-Man-Cover.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Wicker-Man-Cover.jpg

Great film...one of Nicholas Cage's best.

I kid, I kid :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Two of the greatest films ever made are finially hitting Blu-Ray over here this October.

BFI are bringing Kurosawa's Seven Samurai to Blu-Ray this October 21 and in a pretty snazzy looking steelbook.

4871_tn.jpg

And after about two dozen release date changes it seems that The Wicker Man is finally coming out on October 14.
    Wicker-Man-Cover.jpg

The region A version of Seven Samurai came out a few years ago, and looked great. Fingers crossed the region B version matches it.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The region A version of Seven Samurai came out a few years ago, and looked great. Fingers crossed the region B version matches it.

I imagine that it may be the same transfer used by the BFI. Really looking forward to getting it as a gift for a few people, proberly get a copy for myself if it looks good

Just to warn everyone, B&N are no longer customs friendly. I haven't received my own Criterion order yet, but a few UK people have been hit for customs. To make matters worse it seems in some cases B&N have listed the full RRP on the box, not the sale price.

It's years since I had anything get caught. Do An Post looking for payment on delivery or how does it work?

Just to warn everyone, B&N are no longer customs friendly. I haven't received my own Criterion order yet, but a few UK people have been hit for customs. To make matters worse it seems in some cases B&N have listed the full RRP on the box, not the sale price.

It's years since I had anything get caught. Do An Post looking for payment on delivery or how does it work?

An Post won't give you your parcel till you give them the amount due customs. Had it happen recently when the postman knocked on the door and asked me for nearly 30 euro in customs fees. Worst part was the my brother had put the order through on my behalf and had it sent to him where he opened all the discs and then repackaged them before sending them onto me along with a card inside that wished me a happy birthday and how he hoped I enjoyed the movies he was finished with. I figured that doing something as elaborate would allow me to skip customs but they told me either pay up or the package was going back and it was heavily hinted at that it would not be returned to sender.

If customs do catch you and you pay the charges make sure to contact them and send on proof that you paid less than the rrp listed on the order. you may be able to gt back some of the charges you pay but from dealing with customs in the past, you may have more luck getting blood out of a rock.

How many DVDs were there?

How many DVDs were there?

Off the top of my head there were 8 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I was on the verge of placing an order with B&N before the sale ended. Glad I didn't now.

• Advertisement

I actually canceled my order to try and sort out a player first. Might have dodged a bullet by the sounds of it. Is the sale finishing tonight?

No, it was extended to the 5th, I think.

No, it was extended to the 5th, I think.

Nice, I can get them sent to my brother in Cali so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

some cool steelbooks on zavvi.com, love these

10824068-1371228843-93203.jpg

10836031-1374771988-891567.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Pity the Prestige won't have the HD lossless soundtrack like the US release which I have. Nice cover though!

Problem with those steelbooks and Blu-Rays in general is that since HMV went into trouble the price of Blus has skyrocketed. I was going to preorder The Wicker Man and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 so went onto amazon and was shocked to see that Wicker man is £24.99 and Texas Chainsaw is £34.99.

That version of The Game is a very poor transfer and the reason I purchased the Criterion release from B&N. The box looks nice but not worth it in the end.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4706/gameUK.html

http://www.criterionforum.org/DVD-review/the-game-blu-ray/the-criterion-collection/1055

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Didn't really like The Game as a movie probably disappointed that Fincher's follow up to Se7en didn't really do it for me so never felt the need to buy on Blu or DVD. My two favourite Fincher movies are Se7en and Zodiac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

anyone know if the original version of The Warriors is available on blu or is only that horrid special one from the later dvd release with the comic book inserts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One quarter of my B&N purchases arrived today (oddly, the one that was shipped after the rest) and the good news is that the correct price was displayed. It was only 14.99 worth anyway, so customs probably wouldn't have even bothered. Now, to see whether the other three in a single package make it though unscathed...

Have to admit the posters on that forum who ordered hundreds of dollars worth in a single order were asking for trouble in the first place, though. Ruining it for the rest of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Just watched Live and Let Die, my favourite Bond movie:P on BR. Good God the picture quality is outstanding. I've never seen early 70's New York City in such detail.

Sound is just average with little or no use of the 6 speakers but the music really stands out. Its exceptionally crisp, clear and fills out the speakers nicely.

Tons of extras too with a few new bits and pieces over the DVD. Awesome!

My B&N order arrived yesterday. The value was marked correctly and no customs, thankfully. Whew!

My B&N order arrived this morning (The Game, Heaven's Gate and On the waterfront), got stung for 20euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Blue ray doesn't seem to have settled down as a format yet. I got the dredd BR and it won't play in my player because it's too new.

rednik wrote: »
    My B&N order arrived this morning (The Game, Heaven's Gate and On the waterfront), got stung for 20euro.

Hard luck. I'm surprised you got caught on such a small order.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Blue ray doesn't seem to have settled down as a format yet. I got the dredd BR and it won't play in my player because it's too new.

Have you tried updating the firmware on the player?

Update the firmware on your player and you should be fine. I set up a Blu-Ray player I had put away and it struggled with a number of discs and codecs till I updated it there last week and it's flying now. Discs load no problem and it plays back anything I throw at it.

Ya updated the firmware. I've been told it may be that powerDVD 9 is just to old. It keeps complaining about the BR not being a blu ray but it works in a PS3.

Ya updated the firmware. I've been told it may be that powerDVD 9 is just to old. It keeps complaining about the BR not being a blu ray but it works in a PS3.

Is it a standalone Blu-Ray player or software on a PC that you're playing it back through? If it's the latter then it could simply be a case of outdated software that doesn't support newer codecs. The manner in which discs are authored changes from company to company and some discs will work perfectly in some players and not at all in others. It's can be annoying as hell, made even more so by the fact that a lot of companies won't release updated firmware for older players.

Is it a standalone Blu-Ray player or software on a PC that you're playing it back through?
    It's a PC drive using the software that came with it "power DVD 9" it plays the batman blu ray perfectly so the drive and software is working to an older standard at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement