Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I upgrade my DVD to Blu...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Tom Noonan is one of those actors that should have been a bigger name than he is, he's one of those "oh its that guy from that thing" faces. most people probably remember him as Caine from Robocop 2, I like his small role in Heat as the guy with all the bank heist plans, has a cool little scene with De Niro. And as The Ripper in Last Action Hero :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Speaking as we have if the past few posts of Michael Mann, Manhunter us coming to Blu on September 23. Containing both the theatrical and directors cuts with the latter being supposedly remastered, the DVD directors cut was visually spotty given the different sources used so hopefully this will rectify the problems.

Anyone who has yet to see Manhunter should definitely puck it up, it's easily best Lektor film and is miles ahead of the remake Red Dragon. Brian Cox puts Hopkins to shame, his Lektor is an intelligent, vicious and scary character while Hopkins is far too pantomime to be a truly chilling advisory.

Hopefully the plans to release To Live and Die in L.A. over this side of the Ocean ate more than just rumours. It's been available in the US for sometime now and is one film I'd love to own in high def. Watching it as I type and it's one film I'd love to own, the DVD is a rather disappointing release.

I bought To live and die in LA a few months back and the transfer is good. The US disc is region free. Well worth the money at this price.

http://www.planetaxel.com/productDetails/883904232773

rednik wrote: »
    I bought To live and die in LA a few months back and the transfer is good. The US disc is region free. Well worth the money at this price.

http://www.planetaxel.com/productDetails/883904232773

I found the transfer to be quite mediocre, the blacks are all over the place but that said the edge enhancement evident on the DVD is gone. There's also a lack of detail in many shots, in close ups the backgrounds look very poor at times but I assume it's the best we will see it, rumors of a new source for a UK version have been going around for sometime which is why I've held off picking it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Brian Cox puts Hopkins to shame, his Lektor is an intelligent, vicious and scary character while Hopkins is far too pantomime to be a truly chilling advisory.

Meh, I'm a fan of Cox in Manhunter (doesn't feature quite that much in it actually from what I remember) but I don't think he gets near the performance from Hopkins, even if it is slightly OTT at times. Seeing Hopkins like that was the sort of thing that got me watching films tbh.

Renn wrote: »
    Meh, I'm a fan of Cox in Manhunter (doesn't feature quite that much in it actually from what I remember) but I don't think he gets near the performance from Hopkins, even if it is slightly OTT at times. Seeing Hopkins like that was the sort of thing that got me watching films tbh.

Cox is only there for at most 10 minutes but those 10 minutes are so intense and well done that like all great characters you can't help but remember him. Hopkins was great in Silence of the Lambs but the rest of his Hannibal roles were far too over the top and there's a hint of pantomime to him in Silence. Cox just comes across as pure evil incarnate. Both are drastically different interpretations of the same character but for me Cox has had the lasting impression though perhaps had Silence been a one of Hopkins performance would be more memorable.

Cox is only there for at most 10 minutes but those 10 minutes are so intense and well done that like all great characters you can't help but remember him. Hopkins was great in Silence of the Lambs but the rest of his Hannibal roles were far too over the top and there's a hint of pantomime to him in Silence. Cox just comes across as pure evil incarnate. Both are drastically different interpretations of the same character but for me Cox has had the lasting impression though perhaps had Silence been a one of Hopkins performance would be more memorable.

its the Freddy Kruger effect, a great villain in the first one diluted to being the antihero who makes campy jokes in the sequels.

So wise of me to just watch SOTL.

So wise of me to just watch SOTL.

definitely a modern classic, I cant remember if Ted Levine got an oscar nomination for Buffalo Bill, he should have if not though. Hannibal is worth watching just for Gary Oldman, who's completely unrecognisable in it as Mason Verger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Gary Oldman is great. One of the most versatile mainstream actors out there and not just in the makeup department

• Advertisement

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Gary Oldman is great. One of the most versatile mainstream actors out there and not just in the makeup department

and yet he's one of those actors that doesnt seem to get the recognition he deserves, well respected alright but some of his roles are enough to hang an entire career on. Leon, True Romance, hell even his turn as Sirius Black was the best thing about the Potter movies he was in. can go from loving uncle type ( Potter, Batman Begins) to utter lunatic (Leon, The Fifth Element), hes been in some crappy movies but he's always the best thing in them.

Exactly like Cage!

Finally relented and ordered Flash Gordon, wanted to get the Steel Book version with the soundtrack before they were all gone. Reviews for the picture and audio quality are excellent so hopefully it does the film justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Pre-ordered the Star Wars box set on bluray today, 80euro in HMV! Great price considering in 80/85 online! Epic:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Pre-ordered the Star Wars box set on bluray today, 80euro in HMV! Great price considering in 80/85 online! Epic:)

Did you order it online from HMV.com? If so get around €30 in VAT ready for your local postman as HMV ships from the Channel Islands and are classified as outside the EU, I thought I was getting a great deal on a box set from them last year only to get roasted on the VAT! There is no VAT charge if you ship it to the UK (not sure about the North though if it counts)

Das Boot and Scarface out this week. Reviews not great for Scarface but I will buy it and give it a blast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Stinicker wrote: »
    Did you order it online from HMV.com? If so get around €30 in VAT ready for your local postman as HMV ships from the Channel Islands and are classified as outside the EU, I thought I was getting a great deal on a box set from them last year only to get roasted on the VAT! There is no VAT charge if you ship it to the UK (not sure about the North though if it counts)

No I just rang up the shop and he quoted me 80!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've moved the Star Wars related discussion to this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67463114

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm pleased to see that A Separation is being released on Blu-ray on October 24. I'm curious to see if this film will lose any of it's power on the small screen. I thought it was brilliant when I saw it earlier this year, but it's possibly the type of film that benefits significantly from the sensory immersion of the cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd say every film benefits from immersion in the cinema! It always bothers me when people say they'll just wait for the DVD. [/petpeeve]

But yeah, not sure how much A Separation would benefit from HD TBH. For smaller dramas I usually just go for the cheaper DVD unless the price difference is negligible. Low-budget digitally filmed and particularly films with high levels of grain films only benefit so much from Blu-Ray IMO. I still feel a bit burnt by Synecdoche, New York, which was no better or indeed even worse than a lot of DVDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

i think "i'll wait for the dvd release" is due to horrible cinema experiences. child delinquents giving their friends live updates on the film/adding their own brand of comedy etc.. that and the lack of beautiful HD. It sucks how in general i'm in the cinema and I know it'll look far better on my 50" at home 6 months later on blu-ray!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh, there are a plethora of reasons people will wait for the DVD, don't get me wrong. Poor selection outside Dublin, the high cost of babysitters these days etc... All valid.

It's when people say "it really isn't the sort of film you need to see in the cinema" that gets me. I continue to fail to see what kind of subset of films that are worthy of seeing in the cinema then. Stupid, explosive blockbusters? Nah, just wait for the DVD with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

hmm, only ever heard 'you gotta see it in the cinema', not really the other way around :confused::)

I wish we had IMAX in Dublin...I know the cinema is an experience, but wow, IMAX is something on top of that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

jaykhunter wrote: »
    hmm, only ever heard 'you gotta see it in the cinema', not really the other way around :confused::)

I wish we had IMAX in Dublin...I know the cinema is an experience, but wow, IMAX is something on top of that!

+1, I was at an IMAX theatre in the US a few years back and it was brilliant, I often think if I ever won the Euromillions I'd have my own imax installed in my own basement home cinema!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cox is only there for at most 10 minutes but those 10 minutes are so intense and well done that like all great characters you can't help but remember him.
    16 miinutes, the shortest screen time for anybody to win best actor
    krudler wrote: »
    definitely a modern classic, I cant remember if Ted Levine got an oscar nomination for Buffalo Bill, he should have if not though.
    As mentioned, hopkins got he nomination, Levine deserved supporting tbh
    jaykhunter wrote: »

There was an IMAX, parnell street where Cineworld is now, people didn't go enough so it was sold/closed. It would prob survive it still open now as far more movies have IMAX releases and not just docos and exhibitions type stuff.

Lethal Weapon is fantastic and a definite improvement on the DVDs. The lack of the directors cuts available on the DVD box set may put some people off but it's important to know that the directors cuts are in fact the theatrical versions and Donner had little input when the extended cuts were put together. Also worth noting that the Blu-Ray of part 4 is the first time its been available in it's uncut form over here.

Picture and audio are both excellent and the set can be picked up for under 25 euro. Not a bad price for 2 great films, 1 very good film and the 1 good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I took the plunge today and bought the Star Wars boxset. I was going to wait for a while until it came down in price but I can't see it coming down in price for at least six months. Plus the cheapest online price is €79 but it's only €80 in HMV plus a free star wars shirt. (while stocks last). Anybody watched theirs yet?

Lethal Weapon is fantastic and a definite improvement on the DVDs. The lack of the directors cuts available on the DVD box set may put some people off but it's important to know that the directors cuts are in fact the theatrical versions and Donner had little input when the extended cuts were put together. Also worth noting that the Blu-Ray of part 4 is the first time its been available in it's uncut form over here.

Picture and audio are both excellent and the set can be picked up for under 25 euro. Not a bad price for 2 great films, 1 very good film and the 1 good one.

picked it up myself a while back, was kinda disappointed the first one wasnt the extended one as I like the school sniper scene, but its great having the unedited versions of 2 and 4 back, especially when Riggs goes banana sandwich on those two guys with the chain. It used to have this horrible, jarring crescendo of music when he climbs out of the water then just appears at the car, made no sense. was there ever a scene in 4 where Jet Li kicks Rene Russo in the stomach during the fight in the house or am I imagining things? could just be the way the original dvd was edited.

I love the series, its how to do fun action blockbusters with a mean streak, the first is absolutely superb and the second is a perfect example of how to do a great follow up to a brilliant original. Patsy Kensit has never looked hotter in it, theres great humour, Pesci's character isnt as annoying as he becomes later in the series, the villains are a pack of bastards and the action scenes are great, love Riggs' fight with Vorstedt (I didnt know for years that guy is Irish :eek: ) in the ship at the end, because Riggs get his ass handed to him for most of it, can't beat his scrap with Gary Busey in the first though.

3 has the best opening imo "grab the cat!" and the Sting song, even though I dont really like Sting, sets the tone brilliantly, stylish as hell credit sequence:

Picked up the Rocky boxset a few weeks back and have thus far watched the first two parts. really impressed by the quality so far, the detail in the image is truly stunning and a massive step up from the DVD versions. From what I've read parts 3-6 are massive step ups from the image quality of the first 2.

Heard a good few bad comments about the Rocky transfers. Good price on Amazon at the moment but still, from what I gather if you have the dvds already you may as well hold on to them.

Heard a good few bad comments about the Rocky transfers. Good price on Amazon at the moment but still, from what I gather if you have the dvds already you may as well hold on to them.

They are a big step up from the DVDs. From the first two transfers there is some evident damage to the print which has annoyed a lot of people but it's certainly a big improvement over the DVD. The colours are also at times a little weak looking but this stems from the print and not a bad transfer. All things considered they are far more visually pleasing than the previous releases. I stuck on the DVD and Blu-Ray and had a quick look and there's no question that there is a big difference in quality.

The last 4 are where the upgrade is supposed to be most obvious and Rocky Balboa looks absolutely stunning. One of the early releases which still stands up today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

If your TV is 32 or smaller not much point.

If your TV is 32 or smaller not much point.

Not much point in what? Buying Blu-Rays? I've seen a number of films on a 32 inch screen and Blu-Rays look bloody great on them. Granted the bigger the screen the more impressive a title will look but to say that watching a Blu on a 32 inch screen is pointless is really ridiculous.

I've watched numerous titles on my 23" 3D monitor and they image is fantastic, far superior to any DVD. Drive Angry in 3D on a screen that size is just an amazing visual treat, same goes for the new Final Destination and even Piranha and it's poor conversion looked good on it.

Not much point in what? Buying Blu-Rays? I've seen a number of films on a 32 inch screen and Blu-Rays look bloody great on them. Granted the bigger the screen the more impressive a title will look but to say that watching a Blu on a 32 inch screen is pointless is really ridiculous.

I've watched numerous titles on my 23" 3D monitor and they image is fantastic, far superior to any DVD. Drive Angry in 3D on a screen that size is just an amazing visual treat, same goes for the new Final Destination and even Piranha and it's poor conversion looked good on it.

If your sitting on top of the screen maybe, but not if your 9 or 10 feet away, the compression artifacts would barely be noticeable from the average viewing distance, I have been working in TV and video 20 years and know what I'm talking about, just trying to save op a few bob.

If your sitting on top of the screen maybe, but not if your 9 or 10 feet away, the compression artifacts would barely be noticeable from the average viewing distance, I have been working in TV and video 20 years and know what I'm talking about, just trying to save op a few bob.

Even at that distance there is going to be noticeable difference but as with any TV the further back you go the worse the image quality will appear. Granted if using a HD ready TV then the difference won't be noticeable as a good upscaled DVD but to tell people that there will be no real difference between a DVD and a Blu-Ray on a 32 inch TV is ridiculous.

Darko wrote: »

Even at that distance there is going to be noticeable difference but as with any TV the further back you go the worse the image quality will appear. Granted if using a HD ready TV then the difference won't be noticeable as a good upscaled DVD but to tell people that there will be no real difference between a DVD and a Blu-Ray on a 32 inch TV is ridiculous.

Difference would be negligible not huge is all I'm saying.

Difference would be negligible not huge is all I'm saying.

The difference is noticeable, 32" is not the ideal size to truly experience HD but even on a screen of that size a decent Blu-Ray will be far more visually impressive than a DVD. My brother is watching The Searchers Blu-Ray in his room and I watched 5 minutes of it and while it doesn't look as good as it does on the 52" in the sitting room its damn impressive and certainly far better than the DVD.

Stage Coach on Blu-Ray, no matter what size screen is far more impressive looking than any DVD of it ever released. Same goes for Zulu, the care that went into the transfers is evident. Zulu is one of the best looking discs ever produced and easily puts many modern films on the format to shame. Rocky isn't quite at that standard but the transfers are a big step up from the existing DVDs, the only real complaint you could make about them is that the colours may not be as vibrant as some catalogue releases and there is print damage but that's down to the source and not the restoration. If you enjoy the films then you won't be disappointed, especially when you can pick it up for about 20 euro in most places.

Just finished a rewatch of Boogie Nights. It has a fantastic transfer and is leagues ahead of the DVD. The inky fault that I could find is that the penise at the end looks very unrealistic when seen in HD. A minor complaint when you consider that the image throughout borders on perfection.

A lot of people seem to think that Blu-Ray is just the DVD only a little better looking. For the vast majority of Blu!s a new master is created at a higher resolution to thr existing master used for the DVD. Often the restoration process will take months and on catalogue titles such as Lawrence of Arabia, years. Compare the DVD to the Blu of The Dark Knight and on any size screen the difference is obvious. Its not just a shaper image but the colors are more vibrant, skin textures look more realistic and the level of detail evident is stunning.

Blade Runner is another Blu that really looks great, this comparison between the DVD and Blu shows just how more vibrant the colours are for example.
    http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=804

Hopefully the oft delayed Blu of Rolling Thunder will do the film justice though tbh just having the film released in any format will be be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Led Zeppelin The Clash

There are some blu rays that aren't very big of an improvement over the dvd.

http://www.blu-ray.com/
    This site is really good for what to get on blu ray and what not,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

There are some blu rays that aren't very big of an improvement over the dvd.

http://www.blu-ray.com/
    This site is really good for what to get on blu ray and what not,

Unfortunately they've put out a few questionable reviews where they didn't mention major flaws/issues of a release. So their integrity is in question nowadays.

Not to say its a bad site but i'd take their reviews with a pinch of salt, especially major studio releases. They get free early copies and if they piss off the studios too much they might lose that privelage.

• Advertisement

If the transfer is done right the film will and should look the best. The majority are treated very well as they deserve to be. Films like Zulu are a visual treat on any screen size as Darko said. Then there is the other end of the scale, Escape from New York, no different to DVD and the Gladiator original Blu release debacle thankfully corrected.

The Fifth Element - Just after watching this and all I can say is, wow. Easily one of the best looking titles available. The level of detail is exceptional, the opening scene in particular looks stunning but that said there's not a moment that doesn't. The level of detail is stunning, the colours are spot on, blacks look fantastic and the whole image just pops off the screen. Add in a fantastic sound mix and you have the definitive version of the film, its never looked as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

My Blu Ray collection (so far) :)

have not watched many of these yet!

hope to add to collection this year

?ui=2&ik=13501d1bd5&view=att&th=13496d80d89cfd94&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1389762316624461824-1&zw

?ui=2&ik=13501d1bd5&view=att&th=13496daae76cb565&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1389762505963732992-1&zw

The Fifth Element - Just after watching this and all I can say is, wow. Easily one of the best looking titles available. The level of detail is exceptional, the opening scene in particular looks stunning but that said there's not a moment that doesn't. The level of detail is stunning, the colours are spot on, blacks look fantastic and the whole image just pops off the screen. Add in a fantastic sound mix and you have the definitive version of the film, its never looked as good.

how does the cgi hold up? been a while since I watched it, does it suffer from the higher resolution?

krudler wrote: »
    how does the cgi hold up? been a while since I watched it, does it suffer from the higher resolution?

It looks fantastic, the taxi scenes are as good as anything out Atm. Some of it has aged but you really don't notice. The practical fxs look gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Just finished watching Kung Fu Panda 2 on Blu Ray :o I'll honestly say I found it very visually pleasing.. Granted, my Blu Ray collection wouldn't be the biggest in the world. But if I needed to throw on a movie to convert someone to Blu Ray, KFP2 would be pretty high up on my list :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Dercola wrote: »
    Just finished watching Kung Fu Panda 2 on Blu Ray :o I'll honestly say I found it very visually pleasing.. Granted, my Blu Ray collection wouldn't be the biggest in the world. But if I needed to throw on a movie to convert someone to Blu Ray, KFP2 would be pretty high up on my list :)

With the way that CGI animated movies are made, I would expect any of them to look great on blu ray

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

thorbarry wrote: »
    With the way that CGI animated movies are made, I would expect any of them to look great on blu ray

Ya, thats true I guess. I was mostly just suprised at the level of detail that went into, well everything.. From the tiny little hairs on Po, to the designs on the pillars in the big palace. Everything was just, beautiful redface.gif Especially the actual cartoony bits...
    I have seen some pretty poor animations over the last couple of years also. So not all one of them will look incredible on blu ray tongue.gif But I was well chuffed with Kung Fu Panda wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gotta admit the original Toy story hasn't aged all that well on BluRay. If anything though, it shows how much Pixar's animation techniques have improved over the years, especially in terms of texturing.

What's The Walking Dead like on Bluray? I'm watching it on DVD (on a 48" screen) and it looks great. Is the BluRay even better or is it not noticeable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Galvasean wrote: »
    Gotta admit the original Toy story hasn't aged all that well on BluRay. If anything though, it shows how much Pixar's animation techniques have improved over the years, especially in terms of texturing.

I watched all three Toy Story movies recently on Blu Ray and I thought that they all looked incredible.

One film that really blew me away was Rambo. The picture quality and sound was immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I've had this sitting on the shelf for ages, never got around to watching it. I haven't even seen the film before. I think it was one of the first Blu rays I bought which is an age ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement