Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone please explain 'Distance, speed and time' in differentiation...

• 10-06-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

It just won't go into my head! Am doing OL, dropped from HL, but still cant grasp this topic! Ugh. It's the whole ds/dt, dt/ds blah blah thing that confuses me about it. :/ No one ever explained which one was which! Didn't help that I haven't had a teacher since the mocks..:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

if your one about the differentiation question, when writing it down you don't actually have to say whether it is ds/dt you can just say dy/dx you won't lose marks....

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Okay you are given s, distance.

You differentiate it once and get ds/dt, this is speed, how distance is changing time as time goes on.
    I'm not sure how much you do in ordinary level, is explanation that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

so you dont have to write ds/dt as in speed in relation to time? It's that part I don't understand, I don't get what ds/dt is, is it speed in relation to time? Or distance? Or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

The d on top is the constant to the left of the equals sign and the d on the bottom is constant to the right of equals sign.........y=3x............Dy/Dx
    x=3y...........Dx/Dy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Sigi

s is distance,t is time and d is short for delta,which is change.
    So change in distance over change in time will give you speed.
    eg.10km over the course of 1 hour..s=10,t=1 so speed = 10kmph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kfpt

same boat as u dropped down frm honours last week!

ds/dt is differenciating distance with time = speed

differenciate the value for speed and u get accelleration

hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

snooleen wrote: »
    so you dont have to write ds/dt as in speed in relation to time? It's that part I don't understand, I don't get what ds/dt is, is it speed in relation to time? Or distance? Or what?

ds/dt IS speed, your actual speed at any given time. The definition of speed is how much distance per unit of time. So the change in distance in relation to time (ds/dt) is speed.

Any better?

Advertisement