Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma/Masters Piano Repertoire

Options
  • 10-06-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi all,

Firstly i'm quiet new to this forum to hi to you all!

Now, i'm going into my final year in a BA Music course and I'm majoring in solo piano performance. I have done my ABRSM Diploma 2 years back and I need to find repertoire for my performances.
    Mainly i'm looking for help on slower "break" pieces. I've all the ambitious ones covered! Some Debussy, Messiaen, Brahms...stuff to kill 5/6 mins?

Any suggestions?
    Also my chosen works so far are

Shostakovich Prelude and Fugue in E minor
    Beethoven Sonata in E minor (co-incidence) op. 90
    Chopin Nocturne No.1 in Bb minor
    Ginesta Argentina Dances (set)

anything else to add? They need to be diploma or higher!

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Not at that level so might not be able to give any real advice but maybe something like Brahms' Ballade Op. 10 No. 4, Scriabin's Poeme Nocturne Op. 61, Ravel's Menuet Antique, or maybe one of Messiaen's Preludes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Just to clarify, are you looking for repertoire advice, or programme advice for your end of year performance?

Where are you studying btw? (And welcome to the classical forum! :) )

EDIT: Reading again, I think I gots ya now! Maybe go with some of the more virtuosic preludes of Rachmaninoff? His Bb Major, the Db Major or the B Minor. His Etudes are a good place to look as well. Both D Minors from both Op. numbers are awesome.

Cliché? Tough! :P Cos I'm gonna recommend the Chopin etudes as well. :D

For something a little.....unknown......look at the piano works of Medtner. You won't regret it, like a mix between Brahms and Rachmaninoff. His fairytales are a good place to start.

In a contemporary setting, check out the solo piano works of Aloys Fleischmann. Well maybe not that contemporary....but cool none the less! :)

Advertisement