Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gooey substance on bottom of glass (Franziskaner)...

Options
  • 10-06-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm just enjoying a few bottles of Franziskaner that I got from Lidl at e1.49 (Happy days) and I just noticed now some gooey substance at the bottom of the glass I poured it into; it's the same colour as the beer.

Is that natural? Is it because of the consistency of the beer?

I've never encountered this with this beer before. Is it gone off?

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Perfectly fine it's just yeast/sediment - perfectly fine I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Franziskaner is a Hefeweizen. Hefeweizens are unfiltered so they contain a small amount of yeast in the bottle.

Its perfectly normal, adds to the flavour of the beer and yeast is actually good for you!!!!:)

Win win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Thanks guys, I was worried for a moment. I've been drinking Franziskaner for about 3 years and haven't noticed it before. I had a feeling that that was the problem but considering never experiencing it I was very suspect.

Thanks guys ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

mayordenis wrote: »
    Perfectly fine it's just yeast/sediment - perfectly fine I promise.

An its source of B vitamins too!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Fart wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm just enjoying a few bottles of Franziskaner that I got from Lidl at e1.49 (Happy days) and I just noticed now some gooey substance at the bottom of the glass I poured it into; it's the same colour as the beer.

Is that natural? Is it because of the consistency of the beer?

I've never encountered this with this beer before. Is it gone off?

Cheers.

€1.49 ??? - I buy Franzikaner most weeks from one of my 2 local Lidl stores but they both charge €1.99 per bottle having increased it from €1.86 some weeks back - is this a new sale price or is you local Lidl just out of step with all others ?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

jrar wrote: »
    €1.49 ??? - I buy Franzikaner most weeks from one of my 2 local Lidl stores but they both charge €1.99 per bottle having increased it from €1.86 some weeks back - is this a new sale price or is you local Lidl just out of step with all others ?!?

Lidl have some beer deals on at the moment for the world cup. Franziskaner is included in the offers, its €1.49 at the mo nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oblivious wrote: »
    An its source of B vitamins too!
    Which counteract hangovers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Over here in pubs (and even written on some bottles) they pour the contents of the beer out, except for the last half inch.

They then spin the bottle a bit, to mix up the sediment with the remaining beer & make it into mostly beer head. This is then poured into the glass to give a fine head, with all the taste from the sediment.

The first time I saw it was in Dublin, a french guy did it in a hotel bar. Over here though its almost the norm.

I'm sure it already been mentioned somewhere in this forum. Give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

i know some germans that do that, but all the belgians i know always leave the sediment in the bottle....I'm not fussed either way, depends on my mood i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The 330ml Hoegaarden bottles have a special neck to allow the sediment to mix while drinking (apparently). See the 'bulb' on the neck

hoegaarden330ml.jpg

edit: actually, on googling it, it seems it's for their 're-fermentation' process

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

but all the belgians i know always leave the sediment in the bottle
    I've definitely seen the swirl-and-pour done with Duvel in Brussels. I prefer it that way too.
    Jev/N wrote: »
    The 330ml Hoegaarden bottles have a special neck to allow the sediment to mix while drinking (apparently). See the 'bulb' on the neck

edit: actually, on googling it, it seems it's for their 're-fermentation' process
    Or, more likely, it's nonsensical marketing claptrap. If anything I'd have thought the neck bulb would give you a clearer beer, acting as a trap for the sediment while the clear beer runs over it and out. I've certainly found it works that way with beers I've made.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've definitely seen the swirl-and-pour done with Duvel in Brussels. I prefer it that way too.

oh i'm not saying it isnt done, just no belgians i know do it

Advertisement