Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Irish Essay

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

I have a feeling something on the church might come up! Possibly as a debate

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Church-too risky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Just a quick Q! I'm in 5th year, and was just wondering if you need to study every poem and story on the course, or can you leave one of each out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

call me ignorant but what can you really write for the church? i mean writing about them sexually abusing children is way too much of a sensitive subject.. i was going to learn slad ar na mboithre but one of my friends said thats also too sensitive as someone doing the exam may have lost a loved one to a road accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

call me ignorant but what can you really write for the church? i mean writing about them sexually abusing children is way too much of a sensitive subject.. i was going to learn slad ar na mboithre but one of my friends said thats also too sensitive as someone doing the exam may have lost a loved one to a road accident?

Exactly my point about the church essay. Examiners dont want to reading about young children being sexually abused... let alone students wanting to write it down!

The road slaughter one is a different story though - sure drugs/drink come up but one of your family members coud have been an alcoholic/died of an overdose etc... Its been predicted to come up for years and hasnt so its kind of unlikely...

Last year people + teachers said the recession was unlikely for oral and aiste because your parents could have lost their jobs etc... It came up in both!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rockboysarewe

bubblz wrote: »
    doing culu eacanomiocht,bochtanais,fadhbanna daoine oga, and sport...

paper 2.. done them all except bean og.. thinkin maybe clare sa speir or lig sin i gcathu?

poetry..prayin that cead drama,uirchill an chreagain , an t-oilean or oiche nollaig will come up

pass poems.. thinkin maybe jack or nil aon ni?
    trial hopefully fimineacht.. can kinda tie that in with easpa chriostiocht

stair na gaeilge? after the stunt they pulled las yr... whos knows???

definitely one of eimear kavanaghs

PARARORY wrote: »
    Exactly my point about the church essay. Examiners dont want to reading about young children being sexually abused... let alone students wanting to write it down!

Its that kind of 'hush hush' attitude that allowed the abuse to occur in the first place. It has been very topical all year and it would be a shame if that was the attitude of SEC

ninjaface wrote: »
    anyone else think something about health or swine flu? very topical last summer and papers were written in november ..

siopa cinn could also come up though. they can change the papers. for example haiti earthquake jan 2010 was on our geography paper this year

or how about ireland and europe? because of lisbon treaty ..

The EU came up as one of the essay in my mock exam so you could be on to something there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

definitely one of eimear kavanaghs

lol who?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Its that kind of 'hush hush' attitude that allowed the abuse to occur in the first place. It has been very topical all year and it would be a shame if that was the attitude of SEC

I see your point , but if it didnt appear in leaving cert paper it doesnt mean that the SEC are promoting a "hush hush" attitude!

There are plenty of places to talk about the abuse that went on , but a leaving certificate paper is hardly the best option... (just my opinion!)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AmyMaria

my irish teacher said they wouldn't bring up the abuse in the church as it was too sensitive in nature, and a student could know someone who was abused.
    What he did say was maybe something about politicians. I'm just learning off little things that I can slide in, and preparing an intro, a paragraph how the government doesn't care about whatever my essay is about, and a conclusion. Then I'm just learning off general sentences I can slip in. But I'm learning problems in ireland, because you always seem to be able to fit them in there somewhere lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Just a quick Q! I'm in 5th year, and was just wondering if you need to study every poem and story on the course, or can you leave one of each out?

Anyone?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Anyone?:)

You can do whatever you want. Not trying to be smart, but I would advise doing them all, even a little run through the one's you hate/find difficult. Like what happens if one of them comes up as a compulsory question? If I were you, I'd do em' all sure you're only in 5th year!:p

PARARORY wrote: »
    I see your point , but if it didnt appear in leaving cert paper it doesnt mean that the SEC are promoting a "hush hush" attitude!

There are plenty of places to talk about the abuse that went on , but a leaving certificate paper is hardly the best option... (just my opinion!)

Yeah i see where you're coming from.

AmyMaria wrote: »
    my irish teacher said they wouldn't bring up the abuse in the church as it was too sensitive in nature, and a student could know someone who was abused.
    What he did say was maybe something about politicians. I'm just learning off little things that I can slide in, and preparing an intro, a paragraph how the government doesn't care about whatever my essay is about, and a conclusion. Then I'm just learning off general sentences I can slip in. But I'm learning problems in ireland, because you always seem to be able to fit them in there somewhere lol

Yeah thats way to study it! The titles are usually broad enough that you could slope in little bits you've learned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 roll on summer 10!

I'd say daoine oga, an timpeallacht, an coras slainte, polaiteoiri and coiruilacht. They're all really relevant now or even something like Dul Chun Cinn na Tire where you can talk bout the head shops, recession, drink, alcohol, everything pretty much! It's the second last year of this course, so anything could come up really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gally15

Hi can you please give me some ideas on an essay i have to do "things that make me happy" :)

Advertisement