Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce College - Cork

• 10-06-2010 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

I was having an old chinwag with my dad earlier, about possibly repeating the leaving cert for a second - yes, second! - time. He mentioned that going to Bruce College come September was an option, but I don't know that much about it.

Does anyone go there? If so, what's repeating there like? How helpful are the teachers? And, what's the general atmosphere like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Afaik, it is probably the best place to go to repeat. If you show an interest and apply yourself the teachers will help you to no end! They're said based on results so its in their own interest to get as many high marks as possible in their classes. They are some of the best teachers around and it would be my first stop for repeating! A lot of people change there for 6th year or are repeat students so a lot of people would be in the same boat of meeting new people and that if thats an issue to you at all. No uniform is always a plus :P

Bottom line really is if you apply yourself and put real effort into it, thats where you will get the best support imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

For €6500 per year it would want to nearly guarrentee the top results

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

€6500 fees is a fair amount of motivation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

spurious wrote: »

True :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

spurious wrote: »

Problem is its not really motivation for the students :P The big thing that the school has going, in my opinion after going for 6th year, is the atmosphere that's created in there. Everyone has their own class schedule based on subjects, if you don't have a subject then you are in the study hall, every class and study has rolls done, so you will be caught out if you try to get out of it.

The people in there are great, most people are only there for a year or 2 so there aren't many cliques made, people will talk to you if you talk to them, its much easier to make friends than in any other school once you're willing to talk to people!

Supervised study til 8 or 8:30 every weekday, and for about 6 hours each day of the weekend. The teachers themselves are very helpful, if you need help in any part of the subject they will either help you after class, after school time, or even on the weekend if they're coming in. As far as I know, they get bonuses for high grades, so it is in the their best interests to help students! It's also why some of the best teachers in the county, if not country.

Though I'm biased, I moved up an average of 2 grades in ever subject, everyone is different :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement