Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography - Groynes

• 10-06-2010 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

can anyone help me add on a few more SRPs to this answer because I haven't 15

Groynes are an example of how humans interact with the natural processes along a coast.
    Groynes are wooden barriers built at right angles to the coast.
    They interfere with the natural processes of erosion, transportation and deposition.
    They are built to stop longshore drift. Longshore drift is the zig zag movement of materials along the coast.
    This is necessary where silt is inclined to build up blocking access to a port.
    The groynes dissipate wave energy.
    The incoming swash is trapped and fored to drop its load.
    Groynes stop transportation and cause deposition to occur where it otherwise would not take place.
    This is shown on the following diagram....
    The beach down the coast is deprived of beach material and eventually fades away. As a result erosion occurs downstream.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

actually you've up to 14 if your diagram is awesome enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

actually you've up to 14 if your diagram is awesome enough!

i need two or three more though just to be safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

will someone help me please?

Also what kind of question could we get on floods/flooding ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can be used to 'save' beaches from washing away, thus helping tourism.
    Can be made of other materials - concrete, steel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Can't you talk about more than just one way in which humans interact with coastal processes???rock armour,sea wall,marram grass and gabbons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement