Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door that always opens by itself

• 10-06-2010 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Have a door in the house that opens by itself if not closed completely and wondering is there anything I can do to stop it.

Would it be the hinges or something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

2 reasons.

A draft of hot air from one room to another.

However the More likely reason is that its a celtic tiger door, hung by a carpenter that was a bollox.

Essentially the hinges are not aligned properly and there is a strain on them causing the door to open. It can be fixed, but you want to get someone that knows what they're at to do it, i could do it in 15 mins .. bt not over the internet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, very irritating, it could be the door frame slightly out or the hinges. It might just be a matter of moving one of the hinges very slightly in or out, probably the top one in or the bottom one out, but it does depend which way the door is hanging.

Have you looked to see does the latch go into the metal thingy on the door frame? If its not slipping into the hole it will slide open. That problem is easy to fix, just means moving it (the metal thingy - thats a technical term :D ) slightly when you have established why it is not shutting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Immm . it may not be the lad that hung the doors fault.

The lad that built the wall is more that likly at fault.

Most of the time this happens because the door frame is not plumb. Even a few mm of the plumb will make the door fall out the ways.

If the whole wall is off a mile, then the door frame will follow. It can be adjusted but not by much. It usually requires a few tubes of fillers to hide the gap behind the architrave.

If you try and adjust it in the hinges, the door will not close flush on the frame and/or will not close against the door stops .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We had a door that swung open like that. I had someone come in and rebuild the door frame then rehang the door. When he had finished it still swung open and I pointed out that this was the whole reason for the job. Ah, missus, he said, you won't stop that, thats just the way it is. It will if you move the bottom hinge out about a quarter of an inch, I said, so he grumpily did, and its been fine since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Cheers for the replies folks, looks like theres not an easy WD-40 type fix for this, and yep its really annoying .. two doors in the house need to be done.

Were only in the house two years...

• Advertisement
Advertisement