Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault Scenic 2000 - 2004

• 10-06-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all just enquiring if anyone on here has or has had a renault scenic from 2000 - 2004 and if so how reliable are they. Thinking of getting either a 02 reg 1.4 or an 04 reg 1.6, both are same price but there's nearly 20,000 miles more on the 04!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

02/03 Scenics are the last of the MK I versions and like most cars off the end of the line, they have little or no problems. You should be looking out for Sportway or Dynamique spec. Dont bother with the lower spec cars as they cost no less but dont have the same amount of equipment.

1.4 engine is strong but slow. Timing belts with complete kits and water pumps must be done at 45,000 miles or 5 years. Some of the switcgear can be a little flimsy but by and large they hold up well.

Make sure that :

1) The rear glass opens seperate from the boot door
    2) That there's no ABS or airbag lights showing on the dash after you start it up
    3) That both sunroofs are working and that there is no sign of water getting in and staining the head cloth around the interior light in the front.
    4) That there's no sign of oil mixing with the water in the coolant bottle.

After that its just normal car buying stuff to watch out for ;)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1365165

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ned10

thanks for your reply. i actually called about that car but it's sold!!
    i was looking at a similar one =, same spec with 53k miles on it, not sure if tiing belt was done but seller is offering a warranty with it..
    any info on the newer model, 04 maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

ned10 wrote: »
    any info on the newer model, 04 maybe?

Dont go there. Not a good car at all. The car is too heavy for the 1.4 plus there were alot of problems with front suspensions, electrical switches , dashclocks and electric windows in the newer version. Stick to the last of the old model, its a fantastic car.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ned10

Sound for your help and advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rhyland

Sorry to hijack thread but just wanted some advice on the same model. I've seen a renault scenic 1.4 2002 model with 55000 miles on it. Brought it for a test drive and seemed ok but I don't know alot about cars! Should I check with them if timing belt has been done as you mentioned? Also I test drove in suburban area but I live in wicklow. Drive about 500km per week and 1 or 2 steep hills - do you think 1.4 would be ok? Also heard that some scenics have trouble starting - we had -5 degrees regularly last winter - would that pose a problem do you think? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement