Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths: inequalities question

• 10-06-2010 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Stupid question I think but anyway is 'x<0 or x>6' the same thing as writing '6<x<0' , it would seem to me that it is but for some reason in the text book it seems to write it one way sometimes and the other way at other times! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Its the same thing yeah, I dunno why they do it differently, I think it has something to do with the question. Check the questions wording and see if theres anything different about em...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Its the same thing yeah, I dunno why they do it differently, I think it has something to do with the question. Check the questions wording and see if theres anything different about em...

Actually you're on to something there I'd say. One is for a "range of values" the other one is for either this value or that. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

6<x<0
    makes no sense.

blubloblu wrote: »
    6<x<0
    makes no sense.

Feck sake. I should really head for bed....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I think he/she meant 0>x<6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Feck sake. I should really head for bed....

Good idea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

blubloblu wrote: »
    6<x<0
    makes no sense.

It does. It just means that the value of x is outside the range of 0 to 6. Hence x is smaller than 0 but bigger than 6.

I'm getting more confused by the minute. It's been a rough day.

It does. It just means that the value of x is outside the range of 0 to 6. Hence x is smaller than 0 but bigger than 6.

There is no number which is smaller than 0 but bigger than six, it is therefore either x is bigger than 6 or x is less than 0. Thanks for the help folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

x is smaller than 0 but bigger than 6.

:confused: that's like saying i'm smaller than me da but bigger than me ma and me ma is bigger than me da. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

There is no number which is smaller than 0 but bigger than six, it is therefore either x is bigger than 6 or x is less than 0. Thanks for the help folks.

Haha Yeah that's what I was thinking. I also need some sleep :p

Advertisement