Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who didn't do Lear as Single Text

• 10-06-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Did anyone do the likes of Blackwater Lightship or The Grapes of Wrath for their Single Text instead of 95% of the rest of the country?

I didn't but I was just curious if some classes did and if so, how do you think you did?

I did Blackwater Lightship as my Comparative novel. Its a piece of crap. I genuinely sympathise with anyone who had to write about that in detail.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 vicksterchick

We did Wuthering Heights for our single text. It was pretty good. :p Better than I thought it'd be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I don't like King Lear, but there is plenty of scope for detail so there's plenty to write about.

However, I could never understand why we have to go back 400 years just to find someone who was good at english. There are far better plays in my opinion that are far more recent and far more relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

Shakespeare's a classic I suppose? So when we grow up and emmigrate we can say "Oh yes, everyone in Ireland studies Shakespeare". Sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

However, I could never understand why we have to go back 400 years just to find someone who was good at english. There are far better plays in my opinion that are far more recent and far more relevant.
    /weeps :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Far more relevant? Far... Better? My friend are you for real. Do you understand what madness comes through your fingers?

The mere fact that it has survived 400 years and is still to this day considered one of the PINNACLES of the english language. And yet a student doesn't understand why it's on the english course.

Kindly use your brain...

To answer the original post, I did Wuthering Heights. Did A. Ran out of time. I thought if I'd had time, or more quotes, it was an EXTREMELY nice question to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Viva La Cozzy

we did Dancing at Lughnassa, twas a good story...but i so wanted to do Lear for the single text :( my teacher wouldn't let me :/
    it would have been easier to compare DaL then with Lies of Silence cuz the role religion played and what not...we had to Lear as our comparitive :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

I did the Grapes of Wrath, development of Tom Joad the main character. Was pretty handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭uncle-mofo

The best writer of all time is all about perception isn't it? The majority of seventeen year olds don't have a clue what he's on about until it's explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    The best writer of all time is all about perception isn't it? The majority of seventeen year olds don't have a clue what he's on about until it's explained.

Exactly, everyone's opinion is correct.

Im guessing Shakespeare would be in the majority of peoples top three.. I dont see him being taken off the LC Syllabus anytime soon.

Something to boast about, I suppose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

i did dancing at lughnasa formy single text.. i get the way it is easy and that .. but i completely think i did sooo bad on it.. the question was quite confusing...

• Advertisement
Advertisement