Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying a house in PortArlington

Options
  • 10-06-2010 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Sorry if I am bringing up old threads again, but I havent seen any new posts re moving to PortArlington for a few years now

Reading some of the older posts, the general consensus seems to be that PortArlington is a nice place to live, some problems with a small minority but you get that everywhere I suppose

We are thinking of purchasing a new home in the Lansdowne/castlelea estate on the ballymorris road heading out of town towards portlaoise

We have two small toddlers, and I wonder could anyone living in PortArlington comment on whether the estate is a safe quiet place to live or should we stay away from it ?

Also I read in a earlier post from several years ago that a person had some difficulty in getting there children into schooling in PortArlington, is this still the case ?

I see that the back end of the estate is just waste land at the moment, the builder is supposed to be building a new phase of the estate there in due course.

Appreciate your comments

Thankyou

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

1. it will be a long time before anything new will be built in landsdowne

2. the primary school is relatively new, but if numbers are high they take more age appropriate kids first... eg if the child is only turning 4 around july - august etc they may be deemed too young.

3. whitefields is the best built 'boom time' houses in the town. there are some bad built houses which i wont post here ;)

4. the area of ballymorris is a nice quite area, and relatively central to town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

sydthebeat wrote: »
    3. whitefields is the best built 'boom time' houses in the town. there are some bad built houses which i wont post here ;)

I am currently renting in one of the badly built estates in the town,neither you mentioned. So the above statement is very true!

I'm a blow in and find the town grand. Haven't witnessed any hassle,but everywhere will have some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mgard

Thankyou for your comments very helpful

I have been driving round the place today, just for a final checkout of the area, I see there is a nice park area for the children and gym/swimming baths

The town looks nice and clean and the people seem friendly enough

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

mgard wrote: »
    I see that the back end of the estate is just waste land at the moment, the builder is supposed to be building a new phase of the estate there in due course.

Did the auctioneer spin you this one?

Personally I wouldn't go near any half finished estate. I've been in lansdowne and it's pretty much still a building site in places. The Portlaoise road entrance isn't even open. Looking at prices of other properties for sale in the town I don't think the ones in Lansdowne are even a bargain if that's your reason for buying there.

Also several of the newish estates in town have featured in exposes on tv, one on tv3 only a few weeks ago :eek: so do your homework ;)

Good luck in your hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It's Portarlington not PortArlington!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Scan Man

Avoid Laois if you can, go somewhere nice like Meath or even parts of Kildare (avoid Athy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mgard

kmart6 wrote: »
    It's Portarlington not PortArlington!

Oops, My mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Scan Man wrote: »
    Avoid Laois if you can, go somewhere nice like Meath or even parts of Kildare (avoid Athy).

The knackeriest part of Laois>>>>>Kildare>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

OP Im the poster who had problems with schools. Situation is now that they are taking only when they have reached 5 years. It is a new school up on station road with all the mod cons.

In terms of portarlington as a place to live we moved down over 3 yrs ago and love it. I personally am not a fan of lansdowne not because it is rough or anything like that but if i were you id look at wheatfields it is a lovely estate and well finished. Pm me if you want any more info!

Ps beware of auctioneers promises there are certain ones that would sell oil to the arabs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

+1 on whitefields living here over 3 years and i love it the estate is lovely well kept and the neighbours are all lovely people, also a good group of children for playmates for your little one:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭graceanseo

Hi,

While I don't think Landsdowne is an awful place to buy I don't think I would buy there for reasons previously mentioned. I'm a blow in too and love the town. Emo House and Gardens near by is lovely for a walk with the kids to feed the ducks etc. I go out in the town (p.m.) etc and have not yet witnessed any problems that others mentioned in a different thread. Not that I'm sayin there is no trouble...just glad I'm oblivious to it for now IYKWIM

In my opinion Whitefields, Station Court and Castle Gate are lovely places to buy, they are all off Station Road. Castle Gate is near to the hotel though so maybe suss out if noise would be an issue for you. I would also be reluctant to opt for an unfinished estate for many reasons.

There are many lovely more rural places a little out of the town, which is where I'd like to purchase some far away day but for now I'm renting and love where I am too.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

The post correcting your spelling should tell u everything you need to know about the mindset of the locals.
    I lived there for 13years and movd away 3 yrs ago. The town expended rapidly in the last few years before we left. If u bend over long enough, they built there. Basically the town is imploding. Only a few schools, only 2/3 s$mall supermarkets. One small main st, lack of decent parking. one video shop. swimming pool is only entertainment. Kiddies park is rough at night.
    Social life revolves around drink and people living on the main street have to endure the nightly trawl of peopl eheading from the pubs to the hotel and back for chips.
    As a new homeowner, a nice house can swing a sale and the realities kick in after u have moved in. like the little thing sthat bug u afterwards... I'd say rent around for a few months. Then buy. I bought a house in a town with no ATM, no video shop and no takeaway. Didnt really notice at the time DOH!!
    The town is just full, so many people and no room- but there is a good sense of friendship about it. Big crowds of mates sort of take over pubs etc If ur welcomed in- you'll love it-
    If ur not- you'll hate it.

Best of Luck anyway.
    personally i'd pick some where outside the main town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭graceanseo

User 16 has made a good suggestion to Rent in the area first before you make up your mind. There is plenty of choice and house prices are not going to get higher anytime soon.

The Town is what you make of it, like anywhere. For example it doesn't bother me in the slightest to drive to Portlaoise/Tullamore/Newbrige for shopping. Supervalu is lovely and well run, there is also Lidl and Aldi is to come beside the hotel at some stage. As far as I know the school situation has improved in the last 3 years.

Best of luck whatever you decide, don't rush into anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭troops

u ever buy that house in lansdowne?

Advertisement