Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend A Bike

• 10-06-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm 35, 5ft 10, 88kg & can't play contact sports anymore so I'm starting up cycling & what to know what bike.

It will be used for 20km+ journeys (eventually) on the road & hopefully some tri athlons, just for fun nothing serious & also bring the kids for a spin along the canal.

Is there such a bike :D

Any help is appreciated cause I'm clueless on bikes. Oh nearly forgot budget of €600 ish.

;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

Maybe there isn't such a bike.... :o

I've been to 2 LBS, cause there's only 2 in town and
    1 recommended a Trek 7.3 fx, saying they are the best on the market.
    The other recommended a Giant Rapid 4, saying they are the best on the market.

Could someone recommend one of these over the other please and steer me in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I think the giant looks nicer but that's just me really. Both bikes are from well known and well respected suppliers so they should be of adequate quality for your needs. Also, since both bikes go for a similar price the quality of the components should be similar and objectively one shouldn't be vastly superior to the other (although I could be wrong here since I don't own either of these bikes).

What it boils down to really is which bike you like the look of and which one feels best when you sit on it, your subjective opinion basically.
    That is of course unless someone more knowledgable can come up with a reason why the giant or trek is especially terrific or horrendous.

Also, if you plan on using it even semi-competively (you mentioned triathalons) or for longer spins eventually then would you not consider something with drop handlebars such as the giant defy 4 or the trek 1.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Think the Rapid might be the more sporty of the two as it pretty much has a road frame and tyres. Much better looking bike too IMO.

If you're not cycling much yet and plan on spins with the kids you might be better with these hybrids over a road bike. Possibly could put aero bars on at some stage if you started getting really into the triathalons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Which is more important the spin up the canal with the kids or 20k and a few events?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

pick a nice road/mountain bike, you can do 20km easy beginning, just remember to take your time, jump off and walk it a little if you get tired and jump back on. you'll be there in no time.

• Advertisement

Road/mountain bike, isn't that two completely different bikes, or do you mean a hybrid.

Guys thanks a million for all the replies.

The brother is giving me a MTB he doesn't use for spins with the kids and so I'm buying a Giant.

Only decision I have left is weather to buy the rapid 4 or rapid 3. I'm going for the rapid instead of a defy purely on ride position I feel more comfortable with the flat bar.

So I was wondering is the price jump to the rapid 3 worth it or would I (a bike newbie) even notice the difference, except for in my pocket ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭Russman

I don't know the specs off the top of my head, but if the jump gets you a carbon fork then its well worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

If you get into it you are always going to be wishing you had gone for the higher spec'd bike so I'd say go with the highest one you can afford. Re. the Rapid 4 and 3, you are making the jump from alloy fork to carbon fork which should lead to a smoother ride. Then the Rapid 2 has... :D:rolleyes:

(Actually, the Rapid 2 doesn't look to be enough of an upgrade on 3 to justify the price hike.)

Guys I've been asking about Giant & Trek and just as I thought I was set on a rapid 3 someone has thrown a spanner in the works by recommending a

"Felt Speed 50"

Is this bike in the same class as the rapid 3 and can anyone recommend it.

Any one I talk to about bikes mentions Giant or Trek bikes the whole time but never Felt...till now.

Anyone got a felt bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

zale wrote: »
    Anyone got a felt bike.
    These lads have them.

These lads have them.

I guess the guy coming in last was on the Speed 50 but does he like it..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Felts are good bikes. I'm contemplating buying a Felt road bike myself. You can see them in any eurocycles/eurobaby shop and in city cycles in blackhall place.

Take all the bikes you can for a test ride and see which one you like best.

These also have Felts
    http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/

Advertisement